star seller and shipping

I have always sent out all orders on time or before the ship by date. I was recently told that hand delivering is not recognized by etsy in shipping status. While I don't agree with this, it is what it is. however, why is Etsy then dropping my shipping percentages? If I am not being acknowledged for hand delivering per customer requests, why isn't my shipping stats at least staying status quo?  Why do the numbers than drop?  I finally made the $300 and all other requirements for star seller have been met. Yet I won't get Star Seller acknowledgment because of shipping and Etsy's decision to ignore hand deliveries and then drop percentages. How does this make sense, Etsy?  How is this fair to those of us that consistently strive to make sure shipping is on time regardless of how shipping is handled. This really needs to be changed. It makes it look like I don't ship on time  which is untrue and not a fair representation of my shop.

Please reply.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
13 Replies

Re: star seller and shipping

The rules for the star seller are pretty clear and have been that way for over a year now. 
I seriously doubt that Etsy will change those rules.

If you hand deliver or a buyer picks up the item, you really have no proof the buyer got it nor does Etsy have proof the buyer got it.
And the buyer could easily open a case for non-delivery and probably win because you don't have tracking proving it was delivered. 

Are you marking the order as complete when you hand deliver? If not then that is why it's showing up late shipping.
You have to mark as complete.

How to Add Tracking and Complete an Order – Etsy Help

When is a tracking number required? 

Tracking will not be required in the following instances: 

• Digital items, including custom digital items
  • Customized order additions linked to another order
  • Orders not being shipped (local pickup/delivery)
  • Oversized and heavy items

If you need to indicate an exception other than what is listed, you’ll see an option to indicate This order doesn't have tracking below the tracking number field. You can then add a quick explanation for why you can’t add tracking for an order.

Adding tracking to your physical orders is one of the criteria for the Star Seller badge. Completing an order without adding tracking will not count as a tracked order towards Star Seller eligibility. 

For an order to qualify for Etsy Purchase Protection, it must include valid tracking. 

How to Become a Star Seller – Etsy Help

What if I offer local pick-up or delivery for my items?

At this time, orders that don't have tracking because they are delivered or picked up in person will be considered shipped without tracking, and will not meet the Star Seller criteria for shipping. 

All other currencies (inclusive of USD)

Tracking or a shipping label purchased on Etsy required for all orders.

1 Like

I understand that Etsy chooses not to acknowledge us for hand delivered items regardless for the fact that they add an option for hand delivery in their shipping section. my  complaint is that, for. example, I could be at 75% and then complete a hand delivery and show it in my shipping, but then my % stats goes down.  Why? It should just. be left status quo. THAT makes no sense! That is my issue. You don't want to acknowledge a hand delivery, but why then change my shipping % downward? For what reason?

3 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

Because it is the percentage of all orders that were shipped in the manner that Etsy has said count towards Star Seller status.

So if you had 30 orders, and you shipped 15 by hand delivery, which is excluded from Etsy's criteria, that would mean you shipped 75% the way Etsy requires for Star Seller.

There are no exceptions.  All orders are included.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I do mark each order shipped whether it's thru mail or hand delivered. I also send each buyer a message thru etsy to notify them of delivery. and expected date of receipt. All I am asking is WHY my shipping % goes down after a hand delivery instead of just being l left as is. it's as if I'm. being penalized for using an option that etsy has given the ability to use.

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

@19Designs 

Your SS ratings are based on all orders in the 3 month period prior to the badge award.  So the December badge we are all aiming for this month is based on all our sales from September, October and November.  A hand delivered sale is still a sale so it will increase the number of sales in the assessment period by one, but because it is hand delivered, it will not count in the number of TRACKED deliveries for the shipping criteria.  EG Say you had ten sales, all shipped with tracking, your rating would be 100% because 10 out of 10 were shipped tracked.  If you then had another sale, which you hand delivered, this means you now have 10 out of 11 shipped tracked and your rating drops to 91%.   Etsy needs to see tracking to prove you shipped, they can't see proof of delivery with a hand delivered order, so they count against you or SS, even though you provided exemplary customer service by hand delivering the order and saving your buyer the cost of shipping.  The math makes sense, but the reasoning behind it does not.

0 Likes

I said this below, but... You are being penalized. We all get penalized when shipping without tracking.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Solution:

1. If it Is someone you know, don't have them shop on Etsy.  Invoice them or send them to your website.  Save yourself the fees.
  2. If it Is someone you don't know, ship.  Local delivery costs time and money.
  3. If there is a good reason for someone local to purchase through Etsy, and you hand-deliver, then send a copy of the Etsy invoice via Etsy's letter mail so you have a pseudo tracking number.
2 Likes

Tracking is Etsy's way of knowing you shipped. You are provided with seller protection.

At any time the hand delivered customer could claim not getting the item and get an automatic refund.

It is risky going someplace to meet someone you don't know.  I don't like being so pessimistic but not knowing the other person, you could be swindled or physically harmed.  I know other would challenge this but it only takes that one time...

0 Likes

I agree with you 100% which is why the ONLY people I hand deliver to are ones I have known for years and see all the time. Etsy still knows that I have shipped because they have he hand delivered option in shipping. Thanks for your reply!

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

There is a school of thought that says using an Etsy stamp label to send a receipt still leaves you open to a claim for NAD because the buyer could claim all they received was the receipt.  If your faith in human nature is shaky, you could print two receipts and have the buyer sign and date both copies to say they have taken delivery of the goods as described on x date.  They keep one, you keep one and if there is a dispute you have their signature confirming delivery.

0 Likes

@19Designs: The very short answer is that disreputable sellers would claim everything that they did not ship on time, or at all, was a delivery. Many of the these unfair aspects of Star Seller are the direct result of sellers who refuse to play by the rules, so reputable sellers pay the price.

0 Likes
HomeDecorByCarol
Inspiration Seeker

I agree, I had a customer who wanted hand delivery, we are providing them excellent service by doing so. I read in another spot that there was supposed to be a place to put the reason below tracking and I did indicate it was hand delivered. My customer received their items in less than 24 hours from ordering by me hand delivering and it saved them shipping costs! We should not be penalized! 

0 Likes

Your percentage will go down because they are counting the number of "correct" shipments out of the total number of shipments you've had. They're not just disregarding those orders -- those orders do count against you.
Nine correct deliveries (with one hand-delivered) out of 10 orders would give you a score of 90%, for example. You need at least 19 correctly-delivered orders to counter any hand-delivered order within that time period.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.