question about seo

Hi  I am a long term esty seller.  I have built a nice business over the years, lately, not so much.  I have reviewed my listings, changed

keywords added photos and nothing has changed.  I did an incognito search for some of my keywords so I could see what customers saw

when they searched.  I was amazed, while a few of my more common searches were right on, many were not on the top 10 pages(24 to page{

I don't know what has put me to the outer realms, but that is the fact of it.  These keywords are not anything unusual and the other items

that turned up were similar, same materials and technique.  Star Seller and good sales, Why was i put in back of line?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: question about seo

Etsy SEO is a combination of titles, tags and descriptions not just tags.

0 Likes

@NanaLetha SEO is way more than words. It is images, buyer behaviour, shop history and more. @DebbiesClayArt 

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

You might try fixing your spelling errors and remove the slashes from your titles 

1 Like

Punctuation is removed in search so you need to put a space after your slashes.  So one of your titles reads: 

4th of July ParadeElf Art DollIndependence DayHandmade Art DollPetey Waits for the Parade"

I think a lot of long time sellers are getting caught out with their old style titles which do not work nowadays as you should be using phrases you think a buyer might type into the search bar and the algorithm is also asking for context such as who might want it, what it is for etc etc

Here is one of Etsy's articles:  How to Optimise Your Listings for Etsy Search – Etsy

All the best

2 Likes

@JJewellerySuppliesUK that link is way out of date, and actually leads to people pushing long repetitive titles. Event he head of Etsy search admitted some of the info in it was wrong - back in 2018. (still not changed, because...Etsy)

For future reference, the info here: https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/the-ultimate-guide-to-etsy-search/366469415790 is more up to date, although still not perfect. 

1 Like

thanks for tips! will rework titles.

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

You posted in Technical Issues, so let's be technical. :))

Your shop title: "Elves,Gnomes, Santas, Fairy and Fantasy Art Dolls" - add a space between Elves and Gnomes.

Add s space whenever necessary in titles and descriptions: "Doll/Gnome/Art Doll" and so on. Remove "". Use all 13 tags.

Don't edit many listings at once, just 1-2 at a time. Too many drastic changes can do more harm than good. 

Hope it helps. Good luck!

1 Like

Be aware that searching incognito won't necessarily give you the same results as your buyers

1. search results are personalized and contextualized, so people using a certain device or who always click on blue things may see different results
  2. Etsy does do tests, and often I see them incognito
  3. incognito used to completely remove your own search history and device history, but that doesn't seem to be true any more. I am seeing remarkably different results incognito compared to with a VPN on a clean device, which didn't used to happen. My own items tend to rank better incognito, but it doesn't seem to be a Canadian localization issue. 

Now, to address your sales concerns: go back to the time your sales started to drop, and look at your traffic sources. What changed there? (It may not have been Etsy search, or not only search). This is always step one. 

Did you close your shop at any point? Change your processing times? Stop or start certain types of marketing? We don't have enough info to go on here. 

I hope things pick up for you soon! 

0 Likes

"Clay Figure Polymer Clay Sculpture Elf Art Doll Mushroom Elf"

Better:

"Handmade Mushroom Elf Figurine, Cute Fantasy Home Decor, Polymer Clay Fly Aminata Art Doll, Mothers Day Gift"

Tags:

"cute mushroom elf", "handmade art doll", "fantasy home decor", "cottagecore style", "woodland gnome", "polymer clay figure", "artisan sculpture", "ooak figurine", "magical forest", "kawaii decoration", "fly agaric Aminata", etc.

More notes:

DO NOT repeat your title at the top of your listing description. Etsy has specifically told us NOT to do this, as it makes the listing look spammy.

Expand your keywords to catch more buyers. Don't pigeonhole your items with limited repeated terms - more diverse keywords draw a larger crowd of different buyers.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/search-advertisement-recommendation/899478564529

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAvxU7fEkO4

Visit www.etsyup.com for more information! Join Isabella as she interviews SEO experts Ratish Naroor and Andrew Stanton to discuss the ins and outs of optimizing your listings for Google and Etsy search. They'll cover the differences between the two platforms, common misconceptions about SEO, and
2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.