NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

messaging potential buyers

Jump to solution

I usually message a potential buyer when they favourite an item but the envelope icon to do this has disappeared there only appears to be an option to "follow" which I don't want to do. Is this just a glitch or a deliberate removal do you know?

thanks Nannie Cool

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WantableDesigns
Conversation Maker

Re: messaging potential buyers

Jump to solution

Probably a deliberate removal as what you're doing is considered spamming and is against Etsy rules.

View solution in original post

15 Likes
21 Replies
WantableDesigns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Probably a deliberate removal as what you're doing is considered spamming and is against Etsy rules.

15 Likes

Jump to solution

and illegal in many countries, including the posters

8 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response, helpful

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy appears to be updating the communication functions in an effort to stop miss-use of the messaging system.

Unsolicited messages are considered SPAM and not allowed. 

13 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Favoriting an item is not an invitation to receive messages.  It is against privacy laws in several countries to contact potential buyers without their specific invitation to do so.  

Etsy has a list of buyers who are happy to receive messages showing discounted items they may like, those buyers specifically opt in to receive these messages from Etsy and only from Etsy.  You can setup a discount for these offers in the Sales And Coupons area.  You choose the discount, Etsy sends the emails as they are the ones who have the permission from the buyer to do so.  These coupons can be sent for favorites, or items added to peoples' carts.  They are only sent to those buyers who take these actions AFTER you set up the coupons.

5 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you I had not realised the etiquette useful to know

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It may have been done deliberately to protect site users privacy and from being spammed.  Sending these types of messages on Etsy can do more harm than good.  Imagine if every seller did this?  The amount of messages received would be overwhelming which is not a positive reaction. Sending these is also against rules and some regions laws.  Best not to do it.  But we can set up automatic discount coupons to be sent to people who favorite items through Etsy's system.  These will be received by shoppers who have opted in to receive Etsy messages.  This can be beneficial.  

3 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response 

0 Likes
ReginaldSpleen
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Not cool! 80)

4 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Fair enough I stand corrected thanks

1 Like
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

"I usually message a potential buyer when they favourite an item"

Etsy will restrict your messaging priveleges when they detect you illegally spamming users.

The relevant UK law is the Data Protection Act 2018, which enables GDPR in UK law. Info from the ICO:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/

Sellers in the UK, or selling to the UK, are required to have GDPR compliant Privacy Policies.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/59160674124

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

5 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

People favorite items for many different reasons. They are not necessarily interested in buying this particular item, or buying it right now. Contacting people without their consent is SPAM. It is not allowed on Etsy and doesn't look good in general.

Just imagine: you favorite fifty items on Etsy and receive fifty messages from sellers. As a seller yourself, you need to either reply or mark them all as Spam to keep your Star Seller status. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

If I received an email or message after favoring an item, I would unfavor AND make a note to avoid that shop. I'm not sure how many people are like me ... I like to browse and shop in peace.

Getting an email to me is like being followed around in a store where I am browsing. I would just leave the store.

Recently I ordered something I really wanted (wasn't on Etsy) ... within minutes of my order I received 7 emails including one inviting me to set up a conference with a doctor, some asking for personal information and most offering discounts if I bought more stuff right away.  The others were discounts for buying more stuff. I couldn't find a way to easily cancel my order, but I finally found a phone number and talked to someone and canceled my order. When the person asked why I told them it was because I found getting deluged with emails within minutes of ordering over the top intrusive and I wanted nothing to do with their company. I also told the lady that if the device had worked they would have had a customer for life.

5 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I had the same situation after just browsing a website. I didn't order anything from them, never gave them my email address or signed up for their newsletter. After closing their window, I got several emails with promo codes. Had to talk to them to make this stop. 

1 Like
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution

This is one reason my faves are private now.  

5 Likes

Jump to solution

"I usually message a potential buyer when they favourite an item ..."

This is exactly why many of us keep out favorites private. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

You would lose me as a potential buyer if you messaged me while I was just favoring as a possibility for purchase at some later date.

Leave me alone to browse.  If a seller is too eager for sales it shuts me down right away,  I feel it is intrusive getting into my space with messages.

2 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice

0 Likes
NannieCool
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This is really helpful and has quite surprised me as I am in the habit of thanking people that favourite items and have had some excellent conversations through doing so, some of which have led to sales but that really wasn't the purpose. Had not thought of it being an intrusion so, thanks for the advice from all of you , will stop doing so now. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@NannieCool: You may want to read the "Dos and Don'ts of Communicating With Customers" https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/26590492608

Basically you can only reply to a message sent to you or send a transactional (directly relating to an order from that party) message.

Anything that is an unsolicited non-transactional message is legally considered as SPAM and can get your messaging muted or worse.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.