LuminarStudio
Inspiration Seeker

etsy . approve-my . site SCAM?

Hi just received a private message from "Etsy" saying that my shop is not able to process new orders and to be able to unlock new orders I'd have to enter my email and receive a link to be clicked which I did. I received the email and clicked the link and I was brought to a seemingly legit Etsy site named etsy . approve-my . site [LINK EDITED] in which I was shown there's a pending order and I'd have to enter my credit card details in order to proceed which seems a scam to me.

Has anyone went through this?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
12 Replies

Re: etsy . approve-my . site SCAM?

Scam, mark as spam. All messages from etsy will be in your "from Etsy" folder in messages

1 Like

Did you not see a pop up on the message page that if a message was from Etsy it would be in the "FROM ETSY" section on the message page?
If it's NOT there it's NOT from Etsy.  It doesn't matter what it says, if it's not in the FROM ETSY section, it's not from Etsy.

It's NOT a legit Etsy site they're sending you too. It's a FAKE site.
This is a scam to STEAL your money.

Etsy does NOT need your email, they have it.
Etsy doesn't need your CC or bank account, they have it.
That email is NOT from Etsy. It's from a scammer.

They also would NEVER ask you to put bank/cc info in a chat or an email to verify your account. NEVER.
If anything needs updating on Etsy you'll see a message on your dashboard and/or finance page.

You also should have had a light orange BOX warning right on the message section about these scams.
BUT if you clicked "OK I got it" without reading the info, then you won't see it again.

There's plenty of info on the help pages about getting paid here.
A MUST read for any new seller before they ever open a shop.

There's nothing that states on the help pages that you have to send Etsy or a buyer your email, your bank/CC info etc to get paid.

There's literally 1000's of posts about this scam, announcements, etc.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

4 Likes

Solved: How to Spot a Scam - No a Buyer Doesn't Need Your ... - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Protect Your Account From Scammers - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Read these , and stay abreast by regularly checking this forum 

New “From Etsy” section in Messages - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Remember, Etsy already have your email and financial information, so you don't need to enter it again anywhere

If you have a genuine sale, it will appear on your Dashboard

1 Like

Yes, others have gone through with the prompts, and ended up being taken for thousands in this scam.  Etsy can't help you recoup your loss, because it was off of Etsy, and your bank can't help, because you shared private information with the scammers.  Good thing you stopped to realize it for the fraud that it is.

2 Likes

I don’t use the app myself but from reading a post earlier it seems that the pop-up warnings and maybe even the ‘from etsy’ mailbox are not present when receiving messages in the app.

If this is correct, it is a major hole in Etsy’s system for dealing with these scammers..m

7 Likes

SCAM  SCAM SCAM

Please read the available information on what has been happening a great deal

Contact your bank/credit card to stop the cards.  You may need to get a new email address as the scammers now have your address.

I'm sorry you are learning this the hard way. 

2 Likes
LuminarStudio
Inspiration Seeker

I didn't enter my cc details obviously and I marked the emails as spam so Google will take care of it no big deal

1 Like

I got this message too. The person blocked me before I could report them.

1 Like

@ArmstrongStudioShop 

There is no way to "block" you on Etsy (even tho it appears that there is). Therefore that account was probably detected and deleted by Etsy. Be thankful that happened!

2 Likes

YES today I was deceived for 210 dollars in this way. Everyone here is smart and I’m a fool.
but immediately after the store opened, I received 5 messages that I had to verify my payment card.
I wrote to ETSY customer support that I had doubts but did not receive a response.
I received another message that my store is closed. and I have to get verified. these messages were with ETSY logos and on their website. It is unacceptable that on such a large international platform they deceive customers in this way.
I THINK IT'S ETSY'S FAULT that they have such chaos on their website

1 Like

@LuxeTreasureTrinkets while there are more tweaking Etsy could do to help stem the tide of scammers, it is NOT their fault. Scammers are everywhere. Sorry you were scammed but we all need to be wary and read up on how the site works. 

When you got the message that your shop was closed, did you go check? When you wrote to customer support, did you go through the option on your manager page, or use the link in the message (that wasn't customer support but looked like it)?

4 Likes
RebelInkWorks
Inspiration Seeker

Just got taken for almost 300 Euros 5 minutes ago.

Hopefully i can get the money back as I contested the charge immediately but all I can do i wait...

My bank App said it had not been claimed yet...

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.