charged for multiple shipping labels

So we are having strange issues with shipping. When we go to ship on etsy we are being charging for multiple labels for a single package. It will randomly charge ups for anywhere from 2-5 labels per package. Its only printing the one though so we almost did not catch it and did not realize until we had printed a bunch of labels. Has anyone else had this issue?  

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
24 Replies

Re: charged for multiple shipping labels

This has happened on Etsy Labels multiple times now. Not exactly this, but some error in charging labels multiple times. Move to Pirateship.com - it has never happened there. And they have support staff you can reach in about a minute.

4 Likes

Yes we can move to pirate ship but honestly i like the convience of shipping through etsy.  I also feel like with all the fee increases i should not have to use a 2nd party platform.  

3 Likes

Pirateship integrates with Etsy, takes about 5 minutes to set up, is free to join,  passes ALL savings on to you (Etsy doesn't), and automatically posts all your tracking numbers, just like Etsy. It is no extra bother at all.

Plus, they have a real support staff that will solve any problem you have in minutes, not like Etsy's very poor support. 

Pirateship also integrates with all the other major marketplaces, and my personal websites. If I want to send a personal package, I can do that, too.

Personally, I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

0 Likes

I hate zombie threads.  Why do people use them?

0 Likes

What do you use for your web orders? Etsy can probably integrate with whatever you're already using, if it's a large company like Shipstation, PirateShip, etc.

0 Likes

so we can go through pirate ship but we double check our orders as we are shipping and its honestly hard to do on pirate ship since there are no images of the product.  We could print out a packing label bet we dont because we prefer to be more paperless.  

2 Likes

Are you using calculated shipping? 
I'm not exactly clear what is happening?

#1: Are you you're getting multiple labels for "one" order/payment with multiple items?

#2: Are you getting multiple labels for just one item on one order? If this is the case, I have no idea, since that doesn't make sense.

If one order with multiple items, then multiple labels are generated usually due to these 2 issues:

#1 You're putting the box/mailer size instead of the item size.
Item dimensions are the item + any padding ONLY. Not the size box/mailer you're mailing it in.
If you fold/roll the item, use that size.
If you double box your items, you'd use the smaller boxes size.

#2 Not having a variety of box/mailer sizes listed in package preferences not only for one item to fit in but for multiple items to fit in.
If there is not a package listed large enough for the calculator to suggest to hold all items, then shipping is figured on multiple items.

The calculator uses your item dimensions to suggest a package size from your list in package preferences or one of Etsy's common box sizes.

1 Like

That was my thought too, until I saw the OP's shop with over 800K sales!  I think they'd have it dialed in by now - more likely an Etsy glitch.

Combined with the other label issues this past week - I wonder if Etsy is planning some new change for us.

*shudders*

4 Likes

so we are inputting in one label and when we print out our printer is only spitting out one label.  Its only when you check completed that it shows multiple labels.  If we did not look at the completed order we would have ha no ide this was happening.  It also does not show as multiple labels when we initially pay for the label.  we are getting charged after the fact.  its kooky

0 Likes

@HappyKawaiiSupplies  Well that is just plain weird and makes no sense at all.

So it prints out 1 label but later you get charged for multiple labels?

Just curious can you see those other labels you're getting charged for and if so are the tracking #'s all different?

Remember a few years ago, Etsy was OVERCHARGING $1,000 and $1,000's of dollars for labels?

Instead of charging $9 they were charging $90, or if the label was $20 they were charging $200. There was a big stink over that.
Etsy screwed up and had the decimal point in the wrong place or something from what I remember.

1 Like
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

You've been here years, so it sounds like this is a new thing you're just now experiencing, like maybe a glitch? Or have you made any changes to your shipping profiles, etc?

Years ago I got dinged by the Etsy shipping label snafu that charged sellers 100x the label price ($24 worth of labels were charged at $2400, etc!) So I switched to PirateShip after that & have never regretted it. I print the labels on PS, then come back to Etsy to look at the order/photos to make sure I'm fulfilling orders correctly. 

If you need to see product photos when you are doing your labels though, I think maybe one of the other integrations does that. Maybe ShipStation??

2 Likes

I just noticed this on my account. Now I’m stressed thinking I need to go back and review my shipped orders and it’s a lot!

0 Likes

definitely go back,  mine went all the way back to feb 13th.  

0 Likes

This has just happened to me! I’ve just completed the postage details for 1 order and printed the label, then noticed Etsy have added an extra label as if I’ve just purchased 2 but I didn’t. I got an email for 2 shipping labels for the same order too, so I’ve definitely been charged for them.

0 Likes

for around a week now since they launched the new Ground advantage. Every order thats over 1 item will now purchase a label for each item. I sent etsy a report about this because my customer was also charged $33 in shipping when it should have been $8 at the most to combine. They sent me the usual cookie cutter response and didnt even acknowledge that i told them my customer was overcharged too!!!

0 Likes

This happened to me today for the first time. Four labels for one order. I do free shipping for over $35, so luckily the customer wasn't charged. But when I entered my package details I thought great, purchase. Out spits four labels, I went back to look at them and they are all random weights and prices. My original label printed first for the total weight and size. So I requested refunds for the other three. I double-checked on Pirate Ship and my entered amount was comparable to the first label. 

0 Likes

@LemonSkullKids@WanderlustHeartShop : Out of curiosity, does the actual order show that it will ship in one package or did Etsy split it up over multiple packages?

0 Likes

The first label with tracking is correct. It's for a 13 x 10 x 2 box at 3 lbs. That's what I entered into the fields. The other three it purchased and spit out are random in weight. One is 12 ounces; the other two say 1 lb each. Dimensions are all the same. Now that you say to look at order, I see it does look split up, however, shouldn't it do what I put in the shipping label purchase option? I'm canceling these and just buying it on Pirate Ship. I have never seen that before if I enter in the full details in the label fields for one package.

0 Likes

@LemonSkullKids: The information on the actual order is calculated by Etsy at checkout - for some reason they though everything would not fit into just one of your boxes based on the "ship size" of your items. Sometimes they select multiple packages because they calculate it will be less expensive than shipping everything in one package.

If they are tweaking for Ground Advantage it is going to get messier because there is no longer the under one pound limitation for the First Class Package equivalent of Ground Advantage.

0 Likes

it shows as one order. Its still happening. This morning in fact. They didnt even respond about my customer being overcharged on shipping by over $20.  Unreal!

0 Likes

Are you getting CHARGED for multi labels? I do not see how that would be possible if you did not purchase them? Your customer may be getting charged for multi labels and you can always just buy one and X out the rest? Check your shipping profiles and package preferences settings. I think someone said package preferences sometimes were reverting to default settings and their added boxes had disappeared. Also shipping profiles are known to glitch (I never use them) A glitch with the new GA shipping? If Etsy is presenting multiple labels/boxes to a customer instead of one the extra shipping may be scaring off multi item purchases. OR are you saying on a ONE item purchase it is giving multi labels? That would really be a weird glitch. Another good reason to use PirateShip if you can but if they are presenting overly large shipping to customers..not good.

0 Likes

What's strange is it definitely wasn't cheaper.  It was like $18 more than just buying on Pirate Ship as one. Yeah, I agree, I think the entire Ground Advantage change is gonna get crazy. Definitely have to pay close attention!  

0 Likes

Happened to us too. I was sending a flat rate box, they broke it into 2 ground advantage and charged more than the one flat rate would be with signature. Anything that takes more of our time Etsy considers an 'improvement'.

0 Likes

Am probably going to get asked to start a new thread on this since it has been a month after the original post, but there is actually a quick fix to this problem:

1.  (You can do this part first or last.)  Go into your listing, scroll to the bottom, and make sure that your measurements are for the size of the item plus package materials such as bubble wrap to protect the item from breakage.  Do not add the size of the box or the bubble mailer or whatever it is you're putting the item in.

2.  From the New section in your shop manager, click on the shipping icon that looks like a truck, and look at the top left corner.  You will see two labels there.  Fill out the section below as normal and look at the cost of the label.  It should match one of the labels in the top left corner.

3.  Click on the label in the top left corner that does NOT have the correct shipping cost.  Just to right of the multiple labels, there is an icon that says Delete Label.  Click on that to delete it.  Now look at the left label to make sure it matches the cost for the label down below where you filled out the details, and if it does, proceed to process your label as normal.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.