Why can't we have more than 20 categories? More than 3 capitalized words in listing titles?

I could easily have 25 categories in my store, why has Etsy always limited categories to 20?  Also, it seems that many book titles have four words, and I like to capitalize book titles.  So why has Etsy always limited listing titles to 3 capitalized words?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
32 Replies

Re: Why can't we have more than 20 categories? More than 3 capitalized words in listing titles?

Ha! We used to have 10, so I'm grateful for 20.

I think the no all-caps is a reaction to the early days of ebay when PeOPLe h@d CraZY liStINg tITlES. It's just more elegant and easier to read. 

13 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Why can't we have more than 20 categories? More than 3 capitalized words in listing titles?

@VintageRescueSquad 

that does not look like *titles* lol

12 Likes

ha ha CraZy tiTIEs

0 Likes

For the sections, we used to have only 10, then 15, now 20.  I know some people would like even more.  One thing you can do is post links to a search within your own shop, in your listing descriptions - "to see more glass items in my shop, click here

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LoonLakeBookstore?search_query=glass

The shops search is nice, because it will reflect in the future when some of those sell out, or you add more.  That's all we can do, for now.

As far as capitalization goes, I'm not sure what you mean - I cap the first letter of almost every word in my titles, and it looks like you do too.  You aren't supposed to use unnecessary caps, like every letter in every word - that's bad for Google search anyways.

3 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I thought the No More Than 3 All Caps Words was a Google rule. 

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

All caps means YELLING ... nobody wants that!

2 Likes

It's standard for book titles to be all caps though.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@LoonLakeBookstore 

i just visited the barnes and noble website.

only the first letter of the words in the title are capitalized on their books.

4 Likes

It's standard for book titles to be all caps though.

Not as far as I know and I have been selling books for over 40 years now.  And I don't know any book sellers who capitalize every letter in every word in a title.

As far as it being YELLING, in the early days of the internet, all caps was used to easily and quickly used to distinguish replies from different parties in an email or chat string.

0 Likes

I would really like to have at least one more level of sub-categories under a section so I could organize by both product type and subject matter. But it's Etsy's site, so Etsy rules. People have been asking for this type of thing for years, so it's not likely Etsy is going to listen.

3 Likes

@AAANativeArts Totally agree with this, I would love more categories but if they can't do that, it would be great to add a couple subcategories under the ones we create. 

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Amazon does not shout the title of books either. First letters capitalized, not all letters.

0 Likes

On that note, why are tags limited to 20 characters? They advise multiple word tags, but there is no room sometimes. (Example: "Sense and Sensibility") So annoying.

6 Likes

Yes, I wish there were at least a few more characters. Even when I was reading through the EtSEO thread I noticed a few times where Etsy staff recommended specific tags that were past the character limit

5 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

@LoonLakeBookstore   I think that 20 sections is enough.  Once you add more than that, you need another feature to find the right section.  It's supposed to make searching easier for the customers.  Scrolling down through an endless list of sections wouldn't be much help.  Three capitalized words is fine.  After that, it looks like yelling.

1 Like
MaynardMillinery
Conversation Maker

They’re selling books, they only need two sections - Fiction and Non Fiction!

1 Like
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

You only capitalize the first letter of words in book titles at least that is what I was taught and what I have always seen in over 70 years of buying and reading books. 

Sense and Sensibility doesn't all have to be in the same tag.  The words don't even have to be in adjacent tags.  Words in tags are mixed to match what is typed into search.

If all words could be capitalized there would be no easy way to draw attention to the important words in a title and there are some who would abuse it by capitalizing every word.  This way you can make your titles be unique and stand out.

0 Likes
MaynardMillinery
Conversation Maker

See, that was my thought too, that only the first letter of each word was capitalised. But you go and look at most modern book covers these days. They’re ALL caps.

The vintage - To Kill a Mockingbird - is still published with the correct capitalisation, but most other books have their titles in all caps, I never noticed! (But I also don’t have time to read for pleasure, so essentially, I don’t look)

I guess, these days, when the paperback is slowly slipping from popularity, each author has to shout to be seen.

0 Likes

I would like to put listings in multiple sections! 

2 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

@ImagesbyJonathan  You CAN put listings in multiple sections - if you have enough of the product!  If you only have one, you can't list it twice or someone will purchase two.

1 Like

@JustMeToo   According to Etsy, for the new gift guide, you can make as many listings in different sections as you want to.  There is no mention of being able to make multiples, removing the duplicates when one of them sells or what to do when someone buys the duplicate listings but you only have or can make one.  Just Etsy encouraging sellers to list multiples in different sections so Etsy makes more money.

3 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

@howtobooksandmore I can see how that could cause problems for the seller, for sure.

However, etsy motives are familiar!

0 Likes

In agreement with the capitals. I like to highlight the exact item I am selling. Sometimes I need more than the three word allotment. The tag length is good for me. What, we should be writing sentences? I could do with more pictures. I get 25 pictures on Ebay. When selling vintage it would be nice to show the highlights and all the flaws in pictures, which is what I do on Ebay. Here, buyer's are only seeing a fragment of what I have available to show them. 

0 Likes

Google has the restriction on CAPS as well as certain words like Shipping, Discount etc in the title or special characters or text on photos.  Apparently having too many sections can backfire as buyers might be overwhelmed by the choices and click away. 

Just checked out your sections and I genuinely thought all the sections were headings for books since the first ones are.  You might consider opening a second shop just for books as it could be rather confusing.  I think this could be an example of when sections aren't working well.  Just me maybe, but that was my experience. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.