Why Does Etsy Validate Addresses on the Seller Side?

Two days in a row I have gone to make a shipping label and the address is invalid. The first one had a city name that was too long (not for a USPS label, but for Etsy's format). The second was the buyer entering their address wrong. 

Why is this not caught and shown on the buyers side? I understand that for the wrong address that it's USPS validating the address. But, why is this shown to the seller, not the buyer. I have to contact buyers often to get corrected addresses. What if it was just shown to them right away that the address needs correcting? Seems like it creates unnecessary work the way they have it.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
9 Likes
14 Replies

Re: Why Does Etsy Validate Addresses on the Seller Side?

Agreed! I have an app on my website that will not accept an order if the address is not valid according to USPS. I think there needs to be a better team working on these things.

2 Likes

@JuliesHeart  When the buyer opens an account and adds their US address, it is verified.  The buyer however can override it.  And also since Etsy is a global site the can't employ means that may mean international orders won't get accepted.

0 Likes

@GinnyPenny: While some addresses do say 'USPS Verified', a lot of the ones we see have errors - from missing apartment numbers to absolute gibberish in a field. You would think that with the new protection program they would be verifying every address.

3 Likes

I haven't heard back from my buyer. Their address is clearly wrong. I think I'm going to message them again, move the order out a couple days and let them know I'll need to cancel it after that date, but that they are free to re-order because I already spent hours making their order. 

I need to start checking addresses the moment the order is placed so I can message them before I make the product and while they are still, hopefully, thinking to check Etsy for messages from the seller. 

I just feel this is such and easy fix for Etsy to make.

3 Likes

It is but buyers can override the information that the address is not correct.  

0 Likes
Hertfordweaver
Conversation Maker

I've seen ones the buyer overrides and it says "buyer prefers this address over the suggested address" or something to that effect. I often wondered why Etsy doesn't ask the buyer for a correct address rather than let it go through unverified.

1 Like

I agree completely. Every day I have addresses that are missing the street name. All of my pieces are custom orders and its infuriating when I go to ship something and don't have a complete address. That ,coupled with the fact ,that customers often give an old email address that they don't check making it impossible to reach them.

0 Likes

Sometimes it's N or N. instead of North ... funky little things like that. I'm usually able to get a valid address by tweaking the abbreviations.

2 Likes

Yes, those are easy fixes. I live on a lane and USPS prefers LN, rather than spelling it out. 

Those are usually suggested by USPS and not a big deal. 

This person had three numbers as their address, no street name, no directions, just three numbers and a city and state. I looked up the city, just in case it's super small and really only just have house numbers. It's a large city. Google Maps couldn't find the address with just three numbers, it suggested over a dozen different street names. I would never dare guess an entire street name from nothing.

0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Agree. I had one just the other day. The buyer had mistyped their house number. Luckily, she caught it when I sent my usual convo confirming the address I was shipping to.

0 Likes

I was given a wrong address recently. I tried different abbreviations but it wouldn't verify. I googled the  name and address that she submitted with the order. Google kept coming up with a different house number. After trying a few different Google searches I came to the conclusion that her house number was one digit off (a 2 instead of a 3, easy mistake). The house number she gave me didn't even exist. I changed it to the number that Google gave me and it instantly verified. 

0 Likes

I assume it's because it's different for every country, and there is only 1 country out of 83 that sell on Etsy that uses USPS. 

1 Like

You will never ever get a verified address from me so I better not plan on buying anything. I have a P O Box (and always enter it as that)  as we have no home delivery of mail. USPS wants it written Po Box. Sorry, I HAVE to override that . I refuse to live in a Po Box! LOL

0 Likes

I would much rather have the control of it flagging it to ME as a seller as invalid than not!  Especially with Etsy's new Buyer (not seller) protection. It at least puts the ball in my court to decide whether to change Str to Street or ST or whatever verifies it or to contact them for verification or cancel. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.