What to do?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Someone contacted me. She said she is interested in buying a list of products from my shop but instead of listing them in her message she sent a link. I could not open it. And when I replied, I could not send my reply either. On Etsy's screen there is a message:" The username you have entered is not a valid Etsy user." What is going on here? 

Thank you

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: What to do?

Jump to solution

That was a scammer and Etsy luckily removed them before they could scam  you. If you gave them your email or clicked any links I'd run a virus scan and watch for any emails from "Etsy" as the will be fake.

View solution in original post

3 Likes

Jump to solution

It's a scam,

The list would have contained a trojan horse virus, and they would have tried to steel your login information etc

Mark it as spam

don't click on links

don't give anyone your e-mail address

3 Likes

Jump to solution

SCAM.  SPAM the SCAM!    Not a real order.  Run your anti-virus just in case.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@KUNSTLEGENDE: In addition to the excellent advice above, there is a very informative thread from @StickIt2M  at https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Nefarious-activity-aimed-at-sellers-quot-The-user-nam... that you may want to read.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

You've been hit with a crappy, low-brow attempt at compromising your computer/device. You aren't the first, you won't be the last.

There are at least two different variants (that I've examined); There are certainly more.

Regarding the link...

When you say you 'could not open it,' can you be more specific? What happened when you clicked the link?

If you're running an up-to-date and properly configured Windows OS, and it prevented you from using the link, then you're most likely okay, as what these links typically point to is a zip archive. You're told a list or a photo is being provided, and with that, the intent is that you download said archive, open/extract it locally, and execute the payload. One's desire to make a sell is being exploited.

Current versions of Windows are pretty good at catching this sort of attack before anything bad happens... again, assuming proper updates/config are in effect, and that one doesn't ignore the OS's warning and download/extract/execute anyway.

On the other hand, if you downloaded a file of any kind, tried to open it, and it *appeared* that nothing happened... well, something might very well indeed have happened. It's difficult to ascertain precisely what that is, but it could be something that won't immediately be apparent; Could be something scheduled to happen days or weeks later, after you've forgotten all about the message having been received in the first place.

If the latter's the case, then I have little to offer that hasn't already been suggested... scan for viruses, malware, rootkits, keyloggers, etc. Might even be worth getting a pro to have a look. Prior to that, shutting down the system ASAP might be a good precaution, as there's no telling what might be happening right now, as you read this.

Not trying to needlessly alarm you, but in situations like this, alarm's all too often the apt reaction.

Regards.

3 Likes
GalleryAntiques
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

A scam, but as you clicked on the link, I suggest you run your anti-virus (I am presuming you have one if you don't, get one to run a scan) and also run an anti-malware scan (Malwarebytes is the best for an anti-malware).

2 Likes
7 Replies

Jump to solution

That was a scammer and Etsy luckily removed them before they could scam  you. If you gave them your email or clicked any links I'd run a virus scan and watch for any emails from "Etsy" as the will be fake.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

It's a scam,

The list would have contained a trojan horse virus, and they would have tried to steel your login information etc

Mark it as spam

don't click on links

don't give anyone your e-mail address

3 Likes

Jump to solution

SCAM.  SPAM the SCAM!    Not a real order.  Run your anti-virus just in case.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@KUNSTLEGENDE: In addition to the excellent advice above, there is a very informative thread from @StickIt2M  at https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Nefarious-activity-aimed-at-sellers-quot-The-user-nam... that you may want to read.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

You've been hit with a crappy, low-brow attempt at compromising your computer/device. You aren't the first, you won't be the last.

There are at least two different variants (that I've examined); There are certainly more.

Regarding the link...

When you say you 'could not open it,' can you be more specific? What happened when you clicked the link?

If you're running an up-to-date and properly configured Windows OS, and it prevented you from using the link, then you're most likely okay, as what these links typically point to is a zip archive. You're told a list or a photo is being provided, and with that, the intent is that you download said archive, open/extract it locally, and execute the payload. One's desire to make a sell is being exploited.

Current versions of Windows are pretty good at catching this sort of attack before anything bad happens... again, assuming proper updates/config are in effect, and that one doesn't ignore the OS's warning and download/extract/execute anyway.

On the other hand, if you downloaded a file of any kind, tried to open it, and it *appeared* that nothing happened... well, something might very well indeed have happened. It's difficult to ascertain precisely what that is, but it could be something that won't immediately be apparent; Could be something scheduled to happen days or weeks later, after you've forgotten all about the message having been received in the first place.

If the latter's the case, then I have little to offer that hasn't already been suggested... scan for viruses, malware, rootkits, keyloggers, etc. Might even be worth getting a pro to have a look. Prior to that, shutting down the system ASAP might be a good precaution, as there's no telling what might be happening right now, as you read this.

Not trying to needlessly alarm you, but in situations like this, alarm's all too often the apt reaction.

Regards.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I am so happy to hear Etsy is trying to address this problem.  And that they removed the scammers profile to protect sellers who aren't savvy with this kind of awfulness.  

0 Likes
GalleryAntiques
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

A scam, but as you clicked on the link, I suggest you run your anti-virus (I am presuming you have one if you don't, get one to run a scan) and also run an anti-malware scan (Malwarebytes is the best for an anti-malware).

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.