MintStrings
Inspiration Seeker

What's Up with Shipping Outside the US?

I've been able to ship to the UK, Australia, Italy, all over Europe, and Asia with no issues until now. I have customers contacting me asking why I won't ship to their country. I tried to set up a shipping label on ShipStation, ShipSaver, and others. For some reason, it seems like businesses are being blocked from shipping outside the US, to some areas. But this doesn't apply to everyday people. I had a customer in Germany, I had to ship his package to his friend here in the US for her to ship it to him.

Is anyone else seeing a drop in overseas sales?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: What's Up with Shipping Outside the US?

@MintStrings  - We'll assume you have your shipping profiles set up so that you include the countries you are willing to ship to.

Why your international sales have slowed could be due to many factors, from the economy to search placement.

France for example has placed a limitation on ecommerce orders. I believe that orders over $150.00 are blocked.

Do note that your statement "this doesn't apply to everyday people" is not accurate. Your shop is considered a business & you need to follow the various European laws when it comes to packaging recycling. You can find information on that here in the forums.

Also, do read the following on shop policies. Since you are selling to the UK/EU these are very important:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/selling-to-eu-and-uk-buyers/239965962014

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014372467-How-to-Set-Up-Your-Shop-Policies?segment=sellin...

2 Likes

You have to love these crazy laws the Europeans pass. How any business survives is a miracle. 

0 Likes

I don't usually hang out on these forums much;  but I found this post helpful.  I used to have far more sales to Europe & the UK;  but they'd fallen off... I had my return/exchange window set to 7 days in both shops.  Just changed to 14 and will see if there's any notable difference.

Thanks.

0 Likes

@FashionPuss 
If you sell to the EU/UK then you are required to have to allow 14 days for a buyer to contact you about a return AND 14 days for them to return the item.

Since Etsy doesn't have a 28 day option you have to select 30 days.

Without legal policies, a buyer has 1 year to return for any reason for a full refund and they keep the item.

3 Likes

I had to quit selling International last year. Just too many hoops to jump thru.

I feel sorry for those countries that want to buy from us.

I did pretty well selling my vintage items out of the USA until then.

1 Like

This. Dealing with Etsy red tape regarding an order to the EU. Totally maddening!!

0 Likes

@ImagesbyJonathan   It is not Etsy.  It is the regulations of the EU and UK that may pause shipping internationally.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.