Views and Visits Jumped WAY up

Am I the only one this happened to?  My views and visits on my "Stats" page almost doubled today.  And its not a sudden burst in traffic.  Did they unlock something that has held some numbers back for a while?  Its hard to track things when your graph suddenly doesn't make any sense.

Anyone else?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Views and Visits Jumped WAY up

you posted a thread in the forum.

asking for a shop critique.

we cannot give critiques without visiting your shop.

and viewing your listings.

the visits and views are from here.

4 Likes

Well it is much appreciated.  Its always more fun to at least watch your cork bob up and down.  lol.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@2Whiskey 

do not get addicted to it : )

empty views and visits without purchasing will lower the quality score of your shop.

1 Like

Yup. It's because you posted in the forums asking for a critique. Loads of people looked, whether they commented or not.

1 Like

Wow, that's insane.   ok, i guess that makes sense.  its wild that there are so many lurkers.  

0 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

They aren’t lurking, they just might not had anything

to add to the discussion.

2 Likes

Ety stats are never completely accurate. Sometimes they are 6 hours behind, depending on where your time zone is. Sometimes, they are an hour behind. Other search engine bots come through regularly to index your store pages for their search engines, and drive up your visits. Posting in a forum will often send a lot of people over to look at your site, but they probably aren't buyers. 

I have some products Etsy says I have only received 9 visits on, yet they have sold several hundred times. Gee, I wonder how that is possible.

I would install Google Analytics on your store and just ignore Etsy stats.  Google gives you more info than Etsy does and is more accurate, too.

1 Like

@AAANativeArtsI have some products Etsy says I have only received 9 visits on, yet they have sold several hundred times. Gee, I wonder how that is possible.  I wonder if they are based on only one source then.

0 Likes

Thanks.  I think this is exactly what happened.  My views weren't changing at all as people posted suggestions for me and my shop.  Then a few hours later "bam" and the numbers just jumped out of no where.  I am learning all of this as I go.  I guess there are data dumps every few hours.

0 Likes

@AAANativeArtsI have some products Etsy says I have only received 9 visits on, yet they have sold several hundred times. Gee, I wonder how that is possible.  I wonder if visits are based on one source of traffic only.

0 Likes

@StitchRoundabout: Presuming that Etsy's stats are accurate, visits (actually probably should be called visitors) counts the number of unique accounts that have been on one of you pages during a session. Views count every single click on your listing or your shop.  So if a individual shopper looked at the same listing twice in a session, that counts as two views and one visit; if they looked at ten listings and your shop home page that would be eleven views and one visit during that session.

We cannot find any official information about how long a session lasts except that "Session cookies are specific to a particular visit and carry information as you view different pages so you don’t have to re-enter information every time you change pages or attempt to checkout. Session cookies expire and delete themselves automatically in a short period of time like after you leave the Site or when you close your web browser."

0 Likes

I posted about this the other day.  Was up over 1000% on views but visits stayed normal.  Lasted a day and back to normal.  

0 Likes

Thanks Bagmakersupply.  That's good information.  I only have 1 item in my shop, and my visits and views run around a 2:1 ratio.  Mine doubled today, and I guess its all from the people in that thread I put in the "Critique my Shop" subforum.  When your data is as small as mine, a bump like that is hard to imagine.

0 Likes

@nineteen27 

I'll try not to get addicted to it.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.