Verified by Plaid, then I changed my bank password and now no longer verified?

Jump to solution

Any ideas on what is going on?

August 25: I did instant verification using Plaid. I got a message on my dashboard that I had been verified.

August 31: I had a small balance to be deposited, so I waited the required five days and then requested it.  Received the deposit later that day. Then, I went to delete any connection between my account and Plaid with my bank. I changed my bank account password. 

September 2: I get a message that Plaid couldn't verify my account.

I'm not sure what is going on. I thought once my account was verified that I could change my banking password for security.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Verified by Plaid, then I changed my bank password and now no longer verified?

Jump to solution

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Here's my status right now:

I was able to request a call from Etsy help and they called within two minutes. It is possibly a glitch. The solution was for them to unlink my bank account completely and for me to re-enter my banking information again.  My account should not be placed on vacation because of this. I just re-entered my banking info and am now waiting for the small deposits from Etsy to come in the next few days. NOTE: I added in my "new" bank information (account name, number, routing, etc.) through Plaid.

This has been frustrating and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!

View solution in original post

6 Likes

Re: Verified by Plaid, then I changed my bank password and now no longer verified?

Jump to solution

UPDATE: Today I received the two small deposits (which were also withdrawn today) from Etsy into my bank account. I was able to enter those deposits on my Payment Settings page and now have the message "Your bank account has been connected via Plaid" on the top of that page. I also have a message that I will have to wait three to five days for a deposit. I'll let you know how that goes.

My recommendations so far for those experiencing this issue or wanting to prevent it:

1. Don't use instant verification with Plaid!

2. If your previously verified account gets unverified after changing your banking password, contact Etsy help right away.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

FINAL UPDATE:

After waiting five business days, my funds from Etsy were deposited into my bank account.

I encourage everyone to use manual registration with Plaid in the future!

Thanks to everyone who offered help and support : )

7 Likes
79 Replies

Jump to solution

Clarifying August 31: The small deposit was from sales on Etsy, not the small deposit from Plaid. That was deposited on the 25th.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

If you did use "instant" there is no deposit to verify. 

3 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

The OP said

"Clarifying August 31: The small deposit was from sales on Etsy, not the small deposit from Plaid."

I misunderstood, so I have removed my erroneous response.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this, too.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@NanaLetha Thanks for responding 

I did use instant. There was a .01 deposit from Etsy and I received a verification message from Etsy on my dashboard. I waited to change my bank password for five days to make sure I could receive my Etsy deposit, which I requested and received. I changed my banking password. Then, a few days later, I got an Email saying that Plaid failed to verify my account and I needed to do it again. I am wondering why my account is no longer verified after I changed my banking password.

I went to my dashboard this morning and tried to click on the link to verify via Plaid and the link is broken.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

That is very concerning.  That Plaid somehow knew that you changed your password!! I guess it meant that they could no longer GET INTO YOUR ACCOUNT ILLEGALLY!!! This whole situation stinks, and Etsy needs to address it.  Why the hell should we have to validate our banks when we have already done so.  If there are any attorneys on here, would appreciate your input about this very questionable practice.

6 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I used instant and received a confirmation code in my email. I entered the confirmation code on Etsy and was then verified. I never received a small deposit. I used my desktop for the entire procedure which took less than 10 minutes. @HangARibbonOnTheMoon - I have a feeling changing your bank password is what caused the problem for you. My next deposit is due Sep 6th. I'm waiting until then to see if it goes through and my account is truly verified. Is your next deposit also scheduled for Sep 6th? 

1 Like
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@NanaLetha  Just out of curiosity, are your deposits still showing up from Etsy Inc or have they changed names since you verified?

(I haven't had to verify yet.)

0 Likes
bitsyshandmade
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I used the manual way to sign up for Plaid.  Got the two small deposits and verified with Plaid that I had gotten them.  Now I have received a message that my banking information has been changed and my funds are being held for five days.  I have been selling on Etsy for over 10 years and never in all this time even when Etsy changed or added methods of payment have I ever had  to go through this.   I submitted a help/complaint request so we will see what happens.  I already funds that had cleared before signing up for Plaid and those are being held for five days also.

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I would contact my bank to see what their recommendation is first. Then go from there.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I contacted my bank and they recommended that I change my password.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@HangARibbonOnTheMoon  Ok now you need to go in and remove permission for plaid to access your bank account (in your bank account there should be a listing of third parties you gave permission to) THEN change your password. Until you remove permission it is possible they can still have access to your password so you must do it in that order. I was told this by an etsy moderator here to do that and I have. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

This would be a very good SECURITY question for Etsy and Plaid to answer. There should be no reason for Plaid to be able to continually access your account once you have been verified. If you did manual they would never have your bank login details so Plaid being unable to log into your account whenever they feel like it cannot be a legitimate reason to revoke your verification. Did Plaid install some sort of "app" connected to your bank account?

14 Likes

Jump to solution

@NanaLetha  I also used my desktop and did instant. I usually get my deposits on Mondays and did not get the usual deposit on the 29th. I waited until the 31st and then requested my payout. After that payout was received, I changed my password. 

@Former_Member I called my bank fraud and security department and they said that was what they recommended unless I wanted to keep allowing Plaid access to my account.

And now, when I go to my dashboard, the message in the yellow box to validate by Plaid is gone completely.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@BagmakerSupply  I asked my bank fraud and security department and they saw a different IP and browser (from my own) accessing my account 2-3 times daily since the verification. They said it was Plaid connecting to my account. They recommended changing my password, which I had done.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Oh my.

Did you also check to see if Plaid is a connected app? Some sellers had to disconnect them from their bank accounts as well as change the password, but I have not seen anyone else get a notice to re-verify.

0 Likes
UppNorthCo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

yeah "oh my" is right.  that sounds alarming.

5 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Makes a person wanna vomit, don't it!

I feel sorry for all those young, inexperienced fools who stormed right in with their login and PW information.

Every single thing that happens in their financial lives will be fodder for Plaid and the people to whom they sell this information.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

Wow that is a total invasion. I can't believe this is the "recommended" method - or an option at all. Seriously shame on etsy for selling out its sellers with this.

3 Likes
FindsbyMar
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

That is very concerning. A big NO NO for me, rather close my store.

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@SmudgePlant  - I have monthly deposits so I've had none since I verified on August 25th. This coming Tuesday will be the test to see if it really worked!

1 Like

Jump to solution

Marking this the old fashioned way so I can find it & see further comments. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I did manual and was able to initiate a deposit the day after verification. No password needed, no 5 day wait.

2 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@ZehOriginalArt  Plaid is not a connected app in my bank account but neither is/was Etsy. PayPal also uses Plaid and I use PayPal lots to buy on line and they are not a connected app either.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.