CustomLayers
Inspiration Seeker

Verification ID documents

Hi everyone,

my account was suspended because of pending verification of my ID documents. At 12th of June, I ve uploaded my ID card via link in e-mail from Etsy support (which was sended as a reason of suspendition).

When I open my account, there is an informoation: ,,We'll look it over and be in touch soon (usually within 2-5 business days). We may reach out if we need more details. Keep in mind: Your shop will stay in Holiday mode until we can verify your info.“

Now, it is more than 2 weeks later and I have no response.

Do you have any experiece whith this situation, please? 

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Verification ID documents

I’m current over 2 months waiting with no end in sight . I’m keeping an eye on this 

2 Likes
JMDBEADS
Inspiration Seeker

Hi @NadirahBeeDesigns I am having same issue with verification of my id, it gone almost 10 days.

Can you please help us telling that how long it takes to verify ID or we have to file an appeal for suspension as still documents are pending for review.

Please Help us providing way

0 Likes

@NadirahBeeDesigns 

Sorry I'm just hijacking your post to offer some advice for new sellers and verification.  It's a topic that I've studied.  

Etsy uses everything as a form of identification - your bank account, credit/debit card, the digital "fingerprint", phone number, config and connection on your devices, your DOB - everything.  They harvest information from your devices you don't even realise you are giving them.  As such, the name on all these accounts/credentials must match.  Many of these metrics contain data like country codes, OS, username and your browser.  

It's the first sale that triggers the deeper dive into the seller's identity.  By doing it this way, Etsy has captured credentials and those can't be used again if the seller is nefarious. Etsy also uses private rating agencies and any government records it's allowed to access to cross reference depending on the country the seller is in.  

As we all know, Etsy hates hiring actual humans.  They use a mix of pattern matching filters and machine learning to identify a suspicious account being created.  It can be as simple as the absence of information as banned sellers often wipe their devices before trying to return undetected. 

When you are in the sign up process and/or verification - turn off any VPN and ad blockers.  Using those will often grey out the process and/or flag the account.

Etsy doesn't allow some financial institutions like Wise and Revolut.  You will need a mainstream bank account.  It's also preferable that your credit/debit card is attached to this account and is issued with AVS - address verification system. It must be a branded card - not a "pay as you go" card.  

Some US sellers have had problems using an EIN instead of their SSN.  Even if you are using a business entity like a LLC or SCorp, Etsy doesn't really care.  They still require a single verifiable identity for tax, legal and debt liability.

Etsy doesn't disclose many of these hurdles citing "security" but sellers need to know what Etsy actually requires.  It's often a very innocent mistake. 

This isn't an "etsy thing" either.  Laws have changed around the world in regard to online seller ID verification.  It's to combat funding terrorism, tax evasion and money laundering.  In the US it's called the INFORM Act.  All selling platforms must follow these laws or risk punishment.

0 Likes

Seriously? I just got this today that I need ID verification and all my stuff is on "Vacation" by Etsy. I uploaded my ID on June 13th. Looks like I have a long time to wait.    How about someone from ETSY address this?

1 Like
RodoCreative
Inspiration Seeker

I'm exactly the same! My shop has been put on holiday mode, and trying to contact them has just been a nightmare.

I uploaded the correct documents 6 days ago, but it still says, 'We'll look it over and be in touch soon (usually within 2-5 business days). We may reach out if we need more details. Keep in mind: Your shop will stay in Holiday mode until we can verify your info.' 

Losing out on so much business from this  

1 Like

I'm on "vacation" too. But instead of going fishing... "I’m working on fulfilling my current orders right now, and will reopen shortly." I'm sure it's because I haven't uploaded my photo ID to Etsy. The reason I haven't is because I don't trust them to do a very good job of protecting my ID from hackers or just mistakes of some kind. It's a good thing my shop is on vacation now, because if it wasn't, any money coming in from those "current orders" mentioned above would stay in Ety's pocket instead of going to my bank account like it used to. The government passed a law,

https://www.ftc.gov/INFORMAct

that requires Esty to gather ID information from any 3rd party sellers (us) who have sold over $5000 worth of product over a 2 year period. So if you have been that successful in your shop, then you are included in that.

Now we are being expected to hand over a lot of very personal information, and trusting them to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. What I've seen so far is that Esty is taking care of their interests just fine, but their customers (the sellers) are getting herded into a big pen like livestock. mooo... mooooo...

I think I'll take a break from my backlog of current orders and just go fishing.

1 Like

That doesn't sound very promising, I have a lot orders fulfilled meanwhile and on forced vacation mode right now too right now and its be 3 work days. This better don"t become a month. Etsy please, open my store again!

0 Likes

Have you placed an appeal of suspension?

I will just warn you that appeal might take a month or more to be reviewed.

0 Likes
JenAutumnCo
Inspiration Seeker

Hi. This happened to me yesterday. I just uploaded my DL and still pending. What's the update on y'all status? 

0 Likes
ProStarCustoms
Inspiration Seeker

Their on boarding is terrible. This whole payment and ID crap is beyond frustrating to new users. My brother is trying to set up a shop and now they want to force some other payment method on him as a new user.. Like they are getting a kickback from some no name company. You could open a feebay shop easier. They ask for your bank info and how much you have in it.. does that seem okay? No. Not at all.

0 Likes

@ProStarCustoms 

Tell your brother he is NOT dealing with Etsy--he is dealing with a scammer  who is trying to get his financial information so they can steal all his money!

Etsy would never ask how much you have in your bank or your CC limit. Why would they need to know that in order to PAY you! No--they want that info so they know how much they can steal!

And is he is in the US there is only one  accepted payment  method and that is Etsy payments.

Tell him if he gave ANY information to contact his bank RIGHT NOW (all US banks have 24/7 phone service).  He may even have to close that account and/or cancel his CC. And be SURE to change all passwords AFTER running a virus/malware scan!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.