User Muted in Messages SO FRUSTRATED

I am missing opportunities & Money because I can't reply to messages. I have researched and I gather that this is Etsy's punitive way of letting a seller know that they are not to reach out w Promotions to buyers. Ok, Understood. I do not like or understand the method of this action & the lack of support, no human to talk to, no warning, no one to even explain what has happened to my messaging ability. Likewise, Etsy never sent an email, they do not list a trouble reason on the screen. 

I DO want to sell on Etsy, however; I cannot work w a company that offers no customer support. Not everyone has the time to sit, read articles, research two hours, and hope it will "turn on." As busy as Amazon is, they have humans I can reach and support.

I would like to know how to resolve this issue. Message received Etsy-I won't send promo codes! However, what the hey are they for then?

Someone please assist.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: User Muted in Messages SO FRUSTRATED

Most buyers, if not all, do not like your method of promoting.  You were muted probably because many of the recipients of your promo spammed your messages, which got Etsy's attention.

If you want to send coupons to prospective buyers, you could've used the Abandoned Cart or Recently Favorited offers.

How to Set Up Sales and Discounts for Your Shop – Etsy Help

There's no way to resolve it.  You just have to wait until Etsy gives your messaging privileges back.

9 Likes

It is illegal in many countries, for you to contact people, without them agreeing first.

In America, it's called the "can the spam" law.

To resolve the issue, you have to wait until etsy gives you your privileges back,
for first offence, it's normally a week or so, we've never had anyone come back saying it happened a second time, so that's because they either start to obey the law, or their shop is shut for repeat infringement.

you should at least read up on the legalities of online selling, whether you sell on etsy, or elsewhere

6 Likes

Unsolicited messaging is not only against Etsy’s rules, it’s also illegal in some countries. You signed up to the TOUs (the ones you don’t have time to read) so you can’t complain when Etsy enforces them.

Etsy provides a system for sending coupons which ensures they only go to those who’ve signed up to receive emails from Etsy. That is legal and very different from your blanket spamming.

9 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

Really? You honestly don't know that sending unsolicited messages is spam? Don't you get a ton of spam messages a day? Do they annoy you? If not, you are one of the very few. I would never dream of messaging some random person with a promo code. Nor do I have the time.

Not everyone has the time to sit, read articles, research two hours, and hope it will "turn on."

Well. I suppose you could jump in feet first and make all the mistakes others before you have made. Sounds productive. These forums have an incredible number of shop owners willing to freely lend their advice, offer helpful suggestions and are, in general, supportive. The "build it and they will come" mentality went out with the dodo bird. 

People here will help you, they won't do the work for you. All businesses require research. 
***unless you are a reseller, they get no love here.

4 Likes

@LacyButterflyVintage Would you sign a Contract for a Lease in a Mall or other Retail space without reading the Terms of Use?

Because Selling on Etsy is no different. It may not be a physical Marketplace, but it is, nevertheless, a Marketplace. You rent the space to sell. Etsy makes the rules.

Here is the appropriate information if you do not have the time to locate it

"4. Direct Messages

Members may send each other direct messages using the Community's built-in messaging system. These messages are separate from Etsy Messages and can be accessed and read when you are in community spaces.

By using direct messages in the Etsy Community, you agree to all of the above policies. In addition, you may not send messages that are considered:

1. Abusive, threatening, defamatory, harassing, or otherwise in violation of our Anti-Discrimination Policy.
  2. Obscene or vulgar.
  3. Unsolicited advertising or promotions.

If you receive an inappropriate message, report the content to Etsy. To do so, go to your Direct Messages inbox, open up the message contents and use the “Report as inappropriate” function to bring it to Etsy’s attention for review."

This is where to find it

https://www.etsy.com/legal/community

7 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Conversation Maker

@LacyButterflyVintage  this isn't an issue you can resolve. It's one of the terms of use here as other have said. The same sort of rules and laws against spamming people apply in a lot of places, not just Etsy.

Being in business does mean you need to read TOUs, research steps you want to take ahead of taking action, seek advice from experienced sellers on the platform you are considering ... and MAKE the time to do so.

If you don't, well you end up being penalized in ways that you don't understand. Like every business, the responsibility for education yourself lies with you - you can either do what most business people do and just accept time will have to be spent understand TOUs before selling somewhere, or take your chances that what you "guess" is OK is fact allowed wherever you happen to want to trade.

Etsy has no real customer service. This is a very well-known and frustrating situation - no-one except Etsy likes it. Since Etsy owns this platform, there isn't anything anyone can do about it - not for want to trying or complaining though.

You say: "I DO want to sell on Etsy, however; I cannot work w a company that offers no customer support."

Those 2 ideas are mutually exclusive. Your choices are to sell on Etsy which has no real customer support (certainly not an immediately available type) or to not sell on Etsy at all.

Comparing Etsy to Amazon doesn't help your dilemma. We all know Amazon does have good customer support, just like we all know Etsy doesn't. In fact every other marketplace site has better customer support than Etsy does. Etsy knows that too of course.

5 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.