Former_Member
Not applicable

Unable to send messages

Hi all, I am brand new to Etsy and am unable to message both my buyers and sellers I bought from. I have contacted Etsy several times (via chat and email) but can't get a response. I've tried different browsers, cleared cookies, etc. Any tips? Thanks!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Unable to send messages

When you send too many messages in a short period of time, Etsy disables your message capability because it looks like you are spamming. 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've never sent a message.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

If you send out a flood of messages, Etsy has no way of knowing if you are answering help requests or sending spam.

The minimum ban is for 7 days, I think? They used to tell you by email.

You can contact Etsy and explain, and they might remove it.  But usually they won't remove it until your banned period is up.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That's helpful. I'm frustrated b/c I've never even sent a message.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

If you've never sent a message then I would certainly contact Etsy.

1 Like

@Former_Member: What error message are you getting?

If you are getting the "Bummer, your messages have been temporarily disabled" advisory and not to discount the fact that your messaging may have been disabled in error, generally it is because the system has detected that your account has been sending unsolicited non-transactional messages. While you are waiting for Etsy to reactivate your messaging you may want to read the "Dos and Don'ts of Communicating With Customers" https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/26590492608

There does not appear to be a published time for how long messaging is muted and based on posts in this forum it can vary.

Again based on other posts, Etsy does not seem to view support requests based on what Etsy perceives as user violations to be a priority.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes it says "Bummer, your messages have been temporarily disabled. Please contact support to have them reactivated. Also, see the FAQ and Community Guidelines for more info about Messages." And it IS a bummer because I am a brand new seller and have never even sent a single message.

1 Like

So far you have only had 1 sale so you only have 1 buyer you should be sending messages to, unless someone has a question for you. If you sent messages to people who put an item in their cart or favored an item then that is considered spam. Your only messages should be to people who already bought from you or people who asked you a question. 

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks but I haven't sent any messages yet. I went to message my first buyer and couldn't.

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone answering. I'm realizing I should say I have not yet sent a single message. I also have contacted Etsy multiple times via chat and email. Any other solutions?

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@Former_Member  If you need to contact a buyer send them an email 

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, that is what I did for this buyer but would like to use messages!

0 Likes
TouchingGhosts
Inspiration Seeker

There are no emails near the buyers mailing address! What about people asking questions about you product? I can’t write to them either. Chat doesn’t help and they keep saying customer support will contact me by email but they don’t! I’m getting really angry now because I could be losing business!  Etsy is not helping their people at all! No customer service at all!

0 Likes

OP, are you signed into your account on a computer or on the Etsy Seller app for phones? Try both and be sure you are signed in as a seller. It could be a glitch if you are new.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have tried both.

1 Like
TouchingGhosts
Inspiration Seeker

I’ve tried everything to figure out why I can send messages! Maybe as a brand new seller I didn’t understand who I could and couldn’t write to and did something I wasn’t supposed to so they should tell you that not just turn off your messaging and then not respond when you beg the Chat Support to tell you what you did wrong, then have the support people say they are sending it to their “Dedicated Support Staff” and they will email you but they never do email me. No recognition, no respect and no response!!! Terrible business ethics! I am losing business!

0 Likes
TouchingGhosts
Inspiration Seeker

I meant, Why I can’t send messages.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.