SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Can someone please explain to me how to search within categories and sub-categories

Either there's a glitch or I'm completely missing something. So etsy's "new and improved" category search is  all about the new visual bubbles if you want to drill down to sub-categories. However, here's where I must be missing something when I want to search for something on etsy.

Example search phrase: bakelite doll buttons

1. I enter my search term and click enter. Then I select a category... and slowly drill down thru the pretty pictures to the sub-category I want. But, once I'm where I want to be, my search phrase is GONE

-thinking I'm going to outsmart etsy's search I try another way

2. BEFORE i even enter a search phrase, first I select the category and drill down thru the pretty pictures to the sub-category I want. Then I enter my search phrase and click enter. BUT... once again, my search phrase has been erased... just GONE.

WTH???   Is there NO longer any way to search for a specific item within a sub-category?  Please tell me this is either a TEST (that will hopefully fail). OR tell me that I'm doing something wrong.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
9 Replies
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Re: Can someone please explain to me how to search within categories and sub-categories

I can't.

I guess too many people were still finding things to buy.

So Etsy ficksed it.

10 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Re: Can someone please explain to me how to search within categories and sub-categories

I see what you did there with made up word: ficksed

Couldn't have said it better

2 Likes

LOL.

1 Like

You just made me laugh!

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

"Can someone please explain to me how to search within categories and sub-categories"

In short, you can't.

I shop for supplies on eBay now.

6 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

AND, to make matters even worse, it seems I can't even select just a top level category. Etsy is forcing me to select at least the first level sub-category too. BUT, as soon as I enter my search phrase, the category and sub-category selection is GONE and I'm back at a search within the entire universe of items on etsy.

So why doesn't etsy just eliminate categories altogether and make it a free-for-all search function?  I mean that's basically what it is now.
WTH etsy????   Hasn't anyone in tech heard of sandbox testing before pushing changes live???   (she says... preaching to the choir)

1 Like

Etsy removed most of the categories and sub-categories, when filtering a search initiated from the search bar (if they ever existed). It's like they want to force shoppers to use the new "juried" gift search.

Search "baby gift" and there is no way to filter for booties, or shoes, or christening, or toy, or jewelry...

Search "jewelry" and there is no way to filter for ring, or earrings, or necklace, or...

And so on.

Also, if a shopper uses the word "gift" in their search phrase, a huge banner likely shows at top, pushing the new "gift search".

3 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Frankly I'm amazed ANY of us are selling ANYTHING

9 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

This is a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for".

For years now we've all been begging etsy to fix search. Well...  they've certainly "ficksed" it up...

R.I.P. search...

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.