Unable to Remove GST/HST Taxpayer ID

Good evening!

I have just closed my GST/HST account with the CRA as I no longer am over the $30,000 threshold and now qualify as a small supplier. I am thus no longer required to collect/remit HST and from my understanding, Etsy will charge and do this on my behalf if I don't have a taxpayer ID. Unfortunately, Etsy will not allow me to remove my taxpayer ID from my settings. I get the message "For tax purposes, you can’t remove your primary ID (but you can still edit it)." How do I go about removing it now that my account with the CRA is closed?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah (Kindness Calling)

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Re: Unable to Remove GST/HST Taxpayer ID

You will have to contact Etsy using the Contact Us link under Community and Help on your Dashboard menu.

Changing financial and tax information can be difficult simply because of fraud and anti-money laundering regulations.  No-one in the forums can really help with this.  Only Etsy can tell you IF and HOW it can be done.

1 Like

You have to de-reghister for HST/GST with the authorities, and send a copy of the de-registration to etsy, then they will remove it

0 Likes
TarPaperAlley
Inspiration Seeker

I did that.  Still no removal

0 Likes

Thank you everyone. I sent proof I no longer need to collect or remit HST but Etsy will not remove it. I will try again.

thank you. 

0 Likes
TarPaperAlley
Inspiration Seeker

I am starting the same process.  Hopefully, it works out in the short term.

0 Likes
Swexis
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, were you able to get it removed?  Who did you send the proof to?  Thanks for your help. 

0 Likes

I'm trying to do this right now, they are no help at all and are telling me to talk to a tax adviser. What is a tax adviser going to do when they have no internal access to the Etsy system??? This is so messed up.

0 Likes

Etsy support is no longer helpful, unfortunately. Lately whatever reason I contacted to them, they read me the same things from the seller handbook and no one solves the problem.

1 Like

I'd love to know how you removed GST/HST from your account with under $30,000.00 a year in sales.  When I called and I haven't made $30,000.00 in 8 years .  The girl on the phone said too bad, so sad.  You're always stuck with the GST & HST no matter what you bring in.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.