USPS Shipping Label Adjustment is incorrect

Should I stop using Etsy shipping labels?

I've received two USPS shipping label adjustments in February 2024.  Each related to a box size of 6" x 5" x 4" and weighing under 8 oz. and 1st class mail, now called USPS Ground Advantage.  We ship all our products in our own brown corrugated boxes.  The shipping labels from Etsy cost $5.78 and $4.28.

The USPS adjustment stated the boxes were Priority Mail in USPS Flat Rate Large Box, 12.25 x 12 x 6 with an adjustment charge on each item of over $15.00  That brings the total shipping paid for each instance to over $20.  The items sold for ~14.00.

For the first instance, I replied via email with all the information requested and received an email stating the Service Request was opened and providing a number.  I waited 20 days [they ask to wait 15] without reply and no credit posted to my Etsy account.  I called USPS and learned that while they opened a service request no one had entered the information into their dispute system.  So I am now waiting a response on this first issue.

Today I received a 2nd shipping label adjustment for a recent order and describing the same adjusted details.  I need to wait for Monday to contact them as they are not open on weekends and I will not rely on their email system again.

There is no one to talk with or contact at Etsy.   Is Etsy proactive in helping resolve these issues?  After all, the labels were purchased through Etsy.  Should I use a different shipping label provider and if so any suggestions?

Thanks for all assistance.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
16 Replies

Re: USPS Shipping Label Adjustment is incorrect

Did you read the article on the adjustment in Help.   What are USPS Shipping Label Adjustments? – Etsy Help

Simply contact USPS to request they look at it again.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

It's a problem with the post office not Etsy.

1 Like

If it is causing that many issues & additional costs and you are unable to contact anyone to rectify this.

Then you have 2 choices, stay with Etsy labels and you know up front if there is an issue with postage, you will have to spend a lot of time trying to get an answer & that is if you can get to speak with anyone.

Go directly to the postal service and when there is an issue at least someone will answer the phone, or you can go to one of their depots 

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

It is not an Etsy issue.  It is a USPS issue.  You can get shipping adjustments anywhere you buy postage.  I've received them on PirateShip, ShipStation, and when I bought labels directly from FedEx and UPS.  USPS started following UPS and FedEx's lead a few years back with automatic adjustments. 

USPS's automated system is not flawless, as you can see.  You can read more about it here: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.

1 Like

@WhiteEagleGardens: I don't know how Etsy handles this, but when we look at the adjustment it tells us the reason. The USPS adjustment system is automated and sometimes when it "photographs" the label it misinterprets the package it is attached to. We have been able to successfully contest every adjustment because we keep a record of the packaging used.

Etsy is not a party to the appeal process - you need to file at VerifyPostageHelp@usps.gov 

When sending your eMail, be sure to include the tracking number associated with your package, the adjustment ID (in the eMail from Etsy?), and the reason the adjustment is being disputed.  Add as many details as possible.  https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

2 Likes

It's a post office issue. It's happened to me both on Etsy & Pirate Ship. I've requested a review from the post office according to their instructions.

But never got a refund or reply. It's a total rip off. It happens a couple of times a year. I have no idea why. 

1 Like

I've had 2 so far this year and 2 in Dec. 2023.  Also about 3 in 2022.  I basically mail the same size packages for the last 7 years and all are small.  Each time they were upgraded to priority.  I contacted USPS every time and never got refunded. It's definitely rip off.

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

I get numerous adjustments each year, contest & win all the disputes because the adjustments are incorrect. So if you are certain your item was shipped properly, you can dispute the charge. It is so much easier to do disputes on PirateShip compared to dealing with USPS for Etsy labels. On PirateShip, all you do is click a dispute button & tell them why the adjustment was wrong. Then they pass it on to USPS to investigate. All of my adjustments are credited within a week. PirateShip sends an email to let you know the credit is in your account.

3 Likes

l have disputed several and never got refunded and I know may sizes and weights are correct.

2 Likes

@CanningCrafts You're inspiring me to switch from Etsy to PirateShip...

2 Likes

Not sure how I have lucked out but I use Etsy labels and have never received an adjustment. I am not 100% clear on this, but I recall reading somewhere (long time ago), that they can charge a non-compliance fee (or something like that) if a package is not inline with what was entered. Don't know if that applies to only certain packages or if it is applied to any package with incorrect information. Seems like everyone is trying to do add on fees for things anymore just to increase the price and not improve a service! 

0 Likes
IUILE
Inspiration Seeker

Call 1-844-819-5187, they don't respond to emails.  I have 3 label adjustments and got my money back 5 days after calling them about it.

1 Like

Yes, everyone is saying it's USPS but Etsy needs to take a stand on this!!! I am SO SICK of getting double charged. About once a month I get one of these adjustments and yet, I use THE EXACT SAME BOX every time. It's the same weight, the same size, and to answer your already percolating question, YES I check the "reason" that USPS gives. It's hilarious! Sometimes they claim it was Priority Mail instead of ground, sometimes they claim it's a large flat envelope (that one is hilarious), etc.

Etsy, take a stand!

1 Like

@RingHolderBracelets: While Etsy has many things to improve, in this case they are merely a conduit to Pitney Bowes and both are just passing back to you an adjustment made by USPS. If USPS incorrectly flagged a package, it has nothing to do with which vendor you purchased your postage through.

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Etsy isn't the shipper, you are.  Etsy has no idea if you entered the information correctly or not.  There are plenty of people who purposely cheat the post office, and you can be sure some are Etsy sellers.  This can happen anywhere you buy labels, it's not exclusive to Etsy.  It is unreasonable to expect Etsy to fight your battles.

Here is some reading for you:  https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

Good luck.

1 Like
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

I get adjustments on Etsy & my Shopify website. I think some sellers may have adjustments more than others due to what they ship. Small or lightweight envelopes can get stuck to other packages on route & cause inaccurate adjustments. At least they are really easy to dispute on PirateShip  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.