The endless glitches are killing etsy.

The listings are screwed. The changes are constant and they aren't even good. Some of my listings don't show a photo, only a blank colored square. The checkout is broken and has been for weeks. I have run a 6 figure business from ETSY for more than a decade and the last 8 days have literally been the worst EVER!!!!!!!! 

The font on the listing doesn't need tweaked every other week.

The layout of the shop and the look of it doesn't need to be altered every other week. 

Why is it that changing something as insignificant as the font create a broken checkout?

I've got hundreds of customers who are more like drug addicts for my products and they are more than irritated that ETSY cannot maintain a working checkout. 

Out of all the things that need to be done and changed here at ETSY, I fail to believe the FONT is one of them. 

This is the longest checkout has been broken since 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels (4)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes
19 Replies

Re: The endless glitches are killing etsy.

@wholewheatcreampuff  Do you have your own website?  Do you sell on any other platform?

I don't know that I'm experiencing the glitches that you describe, but I know others have.  Regarding issues with checkout, most Buyers would never even contact the shop - I know I haven't heard anything.  Very frustrating!

0 Likes

My thoughts exactly. 

0 Likes

We have had our own website from time to time. We tend to have to pop one open when etsy's checkout is broken. 

0 Likes

I agree! The endless glitches and tests are making this site bad for selling. I'm not a big seller with dozens of sales a day but I made  enough each month to help pay bills and for extras. Not anymore. This year so far is horrible and we're barely into it. The winter months are usually my busiest, not anymore. 

3 Likes

okay so yeah, winter months SHOULD be really good for most etsy shops as winter is when people are inside on their devices spending christmas money.. but that has changed in the last year 

1 Like

It's very concerning indeed. There are multitudes of threads about slowdowns or even a complete halt in sales.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that! Many very successful shops here in the forums with their businesses just TANKED right now. 

3 Likes

This has been a complaint on Etsy for years.  So I doubt there will be any changes to the patterns of endless testing.  Etsy has publicly shared they are proud of their excessive testing.  

I'm so sorry you are experiencing glitches.  That is frustrating.  These are typically fixed by Etsy....... Especially when they are related to payment processing issues.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.  As others have mentioned above it does help to have a website so we can help our customers when Etsy can't.

5 Likes

I went from 6 figures to barely making half last year… they tanked me hard last summer. I never recouped. It was only a handful of us then, not enough to make noise but now it’s worse for everyone. Hopefully this will spark change, but since we’re really competing with the shareholders, we know things won’t.

4 Likes
MouseGarden
Conversation Maker

The colored squares will go away if you adjust the thumbnail zoom and save it.  

Since they used to boast they are a high tech site, they've obviously never tried it from the seller side full time.  Glitches make even small adjustments to listings take forever.  I didn't realize two of my thumbnail photos were completely blank till yesterday.

Any change on a page of code has the potential to mess everything up if there is a small error in punctuation, or if certain sections of code contradict each other.  Etsy's code has a lot of people tinkering with it all the time on a live site.  

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

So ... are you saying Etsy are not good at their job?

It seems to me that Etsy peaked in maybe 2014? or so. The site was consistently improving up until then and then it seems all the constant non stop tweaking has only resulted in a site that gets progressively worse and worse.

We Make It Easy To Find Your Thing? Not anymore. The search is the worst it has been since Recency.

Keeping Commerce Human? Not anymore. The forum is full of posts about the ridiculous things the bots are doing to sellers, and the awful lack of customer service provided to deal with them.

13 Likes

2014?  That was one of the years of the endless moaning about all the testing being done. 

Actually testing then was worse then than it is now.  

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

"Actually testing then was worse then than it is now. "

The difference in the results they got back then was monumental.

Compare them to any improvements now.

Like Etsy "helping" sellers give up both their money and their goods to buyers.
We have all been asking for that, haven't we?

8 Likes

Sorry I don't call them glitches.  As long as buyers can buy everything works fine no matter how often Etsy changes things.

Other sites change almost as frequently so I guess i just accept it.  

0 Likes

THIS. Just one week without a font change on the product listing page would be a victory.

3 Likes

My sister in law texted and said that she tried 4 times to checkout with items in my shop and etsy would NOT ALLOW HER!!!!! The checkout IS broken! 100% 

1 Like

Etsy has always done the testing and tweaking but most recently - at least in the past couple of years - have indeed made some frustrating changes.    Most of them were griped about enough or downvoted that they soon went back to normal.    We do seem to be stuck with the hiding of description - just a little more each time.

The latest that I absolutely hated was when they took the shop name/link off of the listing page or buried it so far that I - a fairly experienced buyer AND seller - couldn't locate it.    That was obnoxious from a shopping standpoint because you only had the Etsy search box and if you didn't know the name of the shop you were in, you were sunk.    Fortunately, that "test" seems to have disappeared - at least for me.

2 Likes
CurioshopCo
Inspiration Seeker

Yup…I’m beyond frustrated right now. Could not sign in to original account anymore. Created a new account. Spent hours uploading new listings. Cannot sign in to new account. Aaaaarrrghhhh! Can someone recommend a similar platform to sell on? 

0 Likes

Its a bad joke! I have put all my heart and love into writing a perfect listung and etsy just deletes it!!!! What a shame!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.