Tax for Hawaii

So for well over a year now Etsy has been charging about 80% sales tax for Hawaii.  The chat "support" joke is no help at all.  How do we get this resolved????  Over $16 tax on a $20 item.  Pretty sure that's illegal somehow and a bunch of customers are due a refund from Etsy, not to mention all the fees we've all paid on that!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies

Re: Tax for Hawaii

Not everyone is getting charged this, so you may need to figure out what the commonality is. 

I remember getting an order for Lahaina not too long ago so I just checked their order. It was placed last October and the tax was $1.88 on a $42 item. Another order going to Kamuela last April has pretty similar numbers. 

3 Likes

I just added a comment about my orders.  One that went thru to Lahaina with the large tax number and one that opted to not buy that was also to Lahaina with large tax just 2 days ago.  That's the one that got my attention to this.

0 Likes

Sounds like it's something with how your account is set up, since it appears to be affecting all your orders but none of ours. 

Your shop says you are in the US. Are you actually? Are you using a US bank? I'm not implying anything otherwise, just trying to rule out what could possibly be causing it. 

Besides logging a help ticket and talking with support, which you've already tried, I don't have any other way of contacting someone at Etsy to help. 

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

I checked my last order to Hawaii.  $72 item, $5 gift wrap, $10 shipping, sales tax of $3.48.  I'm not seeing what you are seeing.  

2 Likes

Every single one of my orders  from 2022 on to Hawaii have that large tax on them.  I haven't changed any settings since I opened the shop so couldn't have accidentally hit something.  No idea what's wrong...

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

@CustomBarPads I checked all my Hawaii orders going back at least a year, no weird sales tax.  

I'm sorry this is happening for you, it's really odd.  

1 Like

I have an order from 2/2021 that was 19.95 with 1.06 tax.  Since then I have 29.95  to Kahului with 16.35 tax, 19.95 to Haleiwa with 16.07 tax, 19.95 to Honolulu with 16.08 tax, 24.95 to Lahaina with 16.16 tax and 19.95 to Haiku with 16.09 tax.  I had a customer last night that was also in Lahaina that was a 19.95 with over 16 in tax.  I have not changed any settings since I set this shop up in Jan 2020 so I can't have messed something up.  Open to ideas though because something isn't right.

0 Likes

@CustomBarPads   You need to send an email to Etsy with the information about the orders.

It sounds like the decimal point is out of place. 

But the tax for Haleiwa is 4.5% . same with Lahaina

So there is an issue but it is something Chat cannot deal with.  You need to contact Etsy and show them the errors happening.

0 Likes
92shirts
Crafty Poster

I'm not seeing this either. Hawaii orders are showing correct tax for me.

2 Likes

Well ok...anybody know how to get a hold of someone at Etsy that actually knows how to help?  It's looking like it's just me...but I have no idea what to do about it.

0 Likes

@CustomBarPads 

All you can do is contact Etsy through the help pages.
If you get an email back and it doesn't answer your question, you have to keep replying I STILL NEED HELP.

It might possibly be your settings and somehow you have "entered a sales tax rate for HI" on your finance/payment settings page.

This is the only way I could see this happening.

Adding Sales Tax to Listings – Etsy Help

Go to finances > payment settings > SALES TAX  tab 

Look under this:
United States sales tax settings

and see if you have HI added and a sales tax rate added.
If so, remove it.

ETA: I see there's no option for HI under states BUT instead of clicking the "states" tab, click the "zip code" tab then there is an option where you add a zip code then  "Add a tax rate" box is there and check to apply to shipping.

2 Likes

Checked that and I have no special tax rates set, it is Etsy calculating all of them based on location.  Guess it's time to start and email chain.

0 Likes

@CustomBarPads 
Check this also if you use shipping profiles.
Settings > shipping settings > shipping profiles tab and on the shipping label option tab.

There's a place for YOUR origin zip code on the shipping profile page. If you have profiles, click EDIT to see this.

Make sure your zip is correct on it.

Origin ZIP code

Where will your orders ship from—home, the post office, or another location? This helps us calculate accurate delivery dates.

ETA then make sure on this same shipping settings page that on the shipping label option tab that YOUR zip code on that form is correct.

0 Likes

Yep, it's all correct.  I've checked all the settings.  All seem correct.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Try contacting Etsy via chat from your dashboard.

0 Likes

been there, done that, absolutely  no use.  Just quoted the handbook which I have already been through.

0 Likes

audreytherese  Yes, I am in the US and using a US bank.  NO special tax rates are set, it's all automatic by Etsy.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.