Hi

I have been an active seller on etsy.com for 10 years. I have always had regular sales, which have increased every year. The beginning of this year was also record-breaking in terms of sales. In March I noticed some changes and a significant drop in sales. I only sold a few products at the beginning of the month and then nothing. In April, it was also about the same, and since then there has been complete silence. I am a seller from Europe (Poland). I am in contact with several other sellers who have the same problem. At first I thought maybe customers suddenly lost interest in the products, but I don't think so. After analyzing the problem with other sellers and delving into the topics of the functioning of Internet search engines, we come to the conclusion that it is related to the search algorithms used by etsy.com. I wonder if artificial intelligence is not hurting us sellers, cutting off our stores from sales, because that's how it looks. Does anyone have similar problem? What can be done to get sales back on track?

Anna

Re: Sudden stop of sales

You're an artist, so am I and from what I've been researching in my niche, made-to-order clothing, sewing work in a studio, with a gothic or medieval theme. My sales in 2023 dropped in the same proportion as so many new sellers appeared on Etsy, selling similar products, at ridiculously low prices, clearly seem like factories located in countries where labor is very cheap or even slave labor. Some say they are located in Europe like me, some even in my country, but if I order something from them it takes 30 to 40 days to arrive at my house, in my country it can be crossed by road, from end to end in just 6 hours! It's not fair competition, but we continue to pay Etsy Ads in the hope that we will be able to reach those customers who understand the difference of a product made with quality material and well finished, for a business managed by only 2 people who pay local taxes.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes

It is such a frustrating place to be @AnuszkaDesign and everyone who has posted here. The biggest struggle for me is the lack of consistent sales that frankly, it sounds like we were all used to and then suddenly a shift occurred: Covid threw a wrench into the momentum of my business and from then it has been wildly unpredictable. I blame human behaviour, the economic downturn as so many have suggested and the ever-changing strategies of Etsy ( I just have to look at my stats to know this to be true). August is typically a really busy month for me, but this year I am down 40% YoY  despite posting new listings, updating listings, active on social media. I have had zero sales this week and that is never happened in the month of August; Jan-Feb maybe, but never August. I am going to push through and continue selling here and hope for an uptick in sales. In the meantime, I will look into my own website for 2024, participate in one market per month, and I just secured a booth as a vendor at vintage marketplace- hoping to tap into in-person shoppers. Sigh. I hope things improve for all of us - we need to eat and pay bills.

5 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

I'm also in the group of things we're going better than ever until March and things instantly switched to worse than ever. I was up 60% yoy until the switch and went to negative 60%.

It's taken me all year to recover... To only being down 23% for the year (so yeah haven't actually recovered, first year since opening 2018 that isn't showing growth).

6 Likes

Yes, I am here in the same boat. From January through to May was good for me. Actually, May was my best month this year. Then it started to decline. June was ok, July was awful and August has been absolutely dire! The worst month since I started here 15 years ago. I don't know what is going on but it is real bad timing with the things I need to pay for right now! I haven't been able to order materials for my business since February. I'm just hanging on hoping that it will be my turn to show up in search results again soon. But what I really don't understand is where is all the repeat customers gone to even? There is just nothing happening at all. It's very strange. Yet I see other people in the forums saying that they are getting sales!

6 Likes

@DarkWilds in the very same boat. The decline in sales you explain are the same pattern and consistent with mine - and it seems, so many here. I get a surge of sales one week a month (since May) and then crickets for the remainder of the month. When I do get the sudden surge in sales, I get excited because I think whoo-hoo! sales are finally coming through and my stats are up...and then...quiet for the rest of the month and stats go back down. Down 40% YoY for August which is typically a stellar month for my shop. Rinse and repeat since May. It is dreadful. Many say Etsy is cycling shop visibility and constant SEO changes + an increase in sellers = fewer sales for us all. Of course, there is the economic downturn to consider - if we are not making money, we cannot spend either. I haven't been buying anything but groceries, gas, things my family absolutely needs and trying to stay on top of bills. I too, haven't been able to purchase as much new product for my shop or buy branding items I need because May through August have been so slow. I hope it shifts for you and us all! All the best.

5 Likes

I've been here since 2011. My best year was 2015, but I've always had enough in the payment account not to owe Etsy a payment on the month. Lately, I've been paying Etsy, so my business is actually losing money. Free shipping. Everyone wants nice things at thrift prices. Fees keep going up. Sales down. Feeling like I'm obligated to pay for ads that aren't bringing me any money. I'm hanging on for hopefully one more holiday bump (although it will likely be disappointing like the last few years' worth), then I'll probably be closing. Etsy going public was the worst thing to ever happen to OG Etsy sellers. I will always miss what it once was. 

8 Likes
PrincessBalloon
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: Sudden stop of sales

Etsy seller from Germany here. My sales have also been declining from about 30 orders a day to now ridiculous 5-10. I rented out an office/warehouse and I‘m about to close down everything. After all the years of hard work it’s beyond devastating. I can’t believe this is happening and having no reliable stream of orders all of a sudden. They took so much money in fees and now they’re killing us. Thanks Etsy

6 Likes

I had healthy sales until the Stsr Seller badge was awarded.  Sales to USA stopped almost over night.  Trawlingbghe forums possibly Etsy algorithm gives presidency’s to sellers that are new to boost their shop at the cost of no visibility for star sellers. For sales just to stop has to be an Etsy driven issue created on purpose.  But for what end? I have worked to get rid of the star seller badge and maybe that has an effect from October. If not it’s not worth continuing. Good luck

5 Likes
PupSis
Post Crafter

After I received star seller badges I noticed a pause as well, but what I believe can solve that issue is to inform our customers to FOLLOW/Admire our stores and they DONT!

I had a sale from some customer and he followed my shop and then UNFOLLOWED as if he did it by mistake? I checked and he only follows some radio niche store.

It can be a big big hurt if we don't have followers/Admires 

1 Like
Liamore
Post Crafter

Two weeks ago they completely stopped selling.Tragedy..Thank you Etsy...They are completely destroying shops.In the last year 85% drop.I am a Hungarian shop.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure Etsy Admin take no notice of this forum.  Just a place for sellers to swap issues that we are all having.  Nothing will get done.  Once they loose a lot of sellers and their money suffers, maybe then they’ll take notice. Good luck

6 Likes

etsy sales suddenly stopped for us like many have mentioned.....its like we dissapeared from public view overnight. Now, going from consistent sales to none at all, means we fell off an algorithmic cliff. There is something that has triggered our unfortunate etsy invisibility cloak. But what is it? Very discouraging, and very close to getting away from this platform....starting to cost us money...

8 Likes

Try FOLKSY

they are a crafting site 

1 Like

I'll be deleting a lot of my listings on here soon. There'll end up losing the genuine home crafters and fill up with drop shipping rubbish that is mass produced - and the reputation will follow.

4 Likes

Give FOLKSY a try. They are for crafters only 

4 Likes

Folksy is only for vendors who UK citizens or residents - Lucky you! 

I was declined as I am from EU

2 Likes

I sell vintage and had a great selling season last November and December. The best ever in 5 years.

Then in the new year things just quit. I thought it was just no money after the Holidays thing you get every year. But its been horrible so far.

Ive been year for over 5 years and Ive learned enough to check titles, keywords and prices. Not much help.

The search seems to be broken. Before I would research the item I was listing to compare, but most of the time it wont come up unless its way down in the search. And it you put a year in the search with the item name it just goes to another planet.

Best hopes for all this Holiday Season with your shops.

1 Like

what is going on? NO SALES!

Sales have stopped! This was always our best time of year for sales. I have participated in your Etsy sales, have a sale running and are offering free shipping on every item! NOTHING! 

Please HELP!!!!

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this in forums for last few months. And, it’s not just Etsy. Many established eBay sellers are stating same.  I put the blame on AI.

2 Likes
PupSis
Post Crafter

Hey Anuszka, have you tried [Following The Seasons] ... is what I call it, 

Like perhaps Christmas, or Happy New Years and or "Blessings to 2024" rugs that can relate to current holidays etc. 

Especially if you get a lot of international sales from America Just a question/thought. Awesome rugs you have!

Cheers

-Pupsis

2 Likes

We had a little rush last week from our driving people over from our social medias and now back to the big zero, I’m wondering if people are just shopping elsewhere this year.

I know money is tight for everyone, we are not planning on buying much this year.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.