TheReclaimedCrab
Inspiration Seeker

Star Seller status effected by personal purchase

Jump to solution

So my shop has had star seller status.  I purchased something from another shop and they messaged me an update on shipping of that order (something that did not require a response).  I did not respond and now my shop status shows that I didn't respond.  This had nothing to do with my shop.  My response rate was 100% until this which in turn took away star seller status.  I do not think that a shop should be effected by messages for personal purchases.  Is they any to separate the messages so that my shop status is not negatively effected?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star Seller status effected by personal purchase

Jump to solution

Hey There!

The Message response rate counts initial messages from all Etsy members, both buyers, and other sellers. This is because fellow sellers could be potential buyers for your shop. If it's not a spam message it requires a response within 24 hours. If it is a spam message you can mark it as such and it won't count toward your score.

We understand there are things that can impact your that might be out of control, and/or mistakes can happen. We have taken this into account making the percentage reach 95% instead of 100%. Star Seller is not a disciplinary program and sellers will not be penalized for low scores. Additionally, having the badge doesn't give sellers an edge over other sellers in search ranking.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Like
27 Replies

Jump to solution

Is they any to separate the messages so that my shop status is not negatively effected?

No.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Well, kind of...open a buyer-only account. Problem solved. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Of ....use "Guest" Checkout? Another advantage is there are no annoying "Leave a Review" reminders! And .... those Sellers who work outside the TOUs to send promotional material to past Buyers cannot bombard your Shop with Messages (which you have to Respond to or "Spam")

0 Likes

Jump to solution

You and 1000s of other sellers have posted the identical issue. The answer is always the same. Read the rules, which are on your Star Seller Dashboard. And read the reply from the SSP guru Admin who's been posting in threads just like yours here:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Loosing-your-star-because-of-a-seller-sending-you-a...

8 Likes

Jump to solution

What?! OMG. How did this happen? Why didn’t anyone tell us this is how it works? You’d think they’d put info on our dashboard or something at least. 

11 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch 

LOL. I see what you did there.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

The nerve of them not letting us know how this works!

It's not fair!

2 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I guess people are so used to etsy not making things clear that when etsy actually does make something clear it blows their mind and they aren't able to comprehend that etsy in fact can communicate clearly so it doesn't compute.  HAHAHA! 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Grinning

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch  At the very least in the Sellers Handbook! After all, Star Seller has only been here for a year.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@TheReclaimedCrab   For all we complain about Etsy and perhaps even feel the SSP rules may be unfair or wrong they have been very clear and consistent about messages / convos from the very beginning. Just to clarify so people don't think they have to respond to every message and it will be a never ending loop: the FIRST message of a NEW thread must be replied to within 24 hours. It does not matter who sent it, the subject matter, if it is a duplicate or blank or anything else. If it is SPAM then it should be marked as such. Those have always been the rules. By the way, if you are creating a custom listing based on the message, you still need to reply to the message. Etsy is now putting a blue text warning / advisory on those messages they consider to be a "new message".

2 Likes
thePaperFramer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

What everyone else said. If you think they are being hard on you; they are. We have had 7 zillion threads over exactly this same issue. RTFM before you post. Know the rules. It has happened to everyone........................................ONCE. Then we learn, read the forum and move on and don't do it again..........................................MAYBE.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

What if you bought something, and you receive a notification about reviewing it, but you haven't used the product yet so are holding off on reviewing it until you have.  Is that going to affect the Star Seller status?  Are reviews considered messages as well?

0 Likes
hbhill
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@StitchRoundabout Reviews are not considered in calculating the message rating. If that were true I would have a negative number. I purchase a lot on Etsy yet rarely leave a review. Don't like leaving a written statement because of the number of words required to submit a review. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@hbhill:  How many words do you have to submit?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@hbhill 

If you use the phone app then you can leave just a star rating without any words. The 5 word minimum is only a requirement if you review on pc/laptop/full site. Try the app. 

0 Likes
hbhill
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@WitticismsRus I just don't understand why the app and the other devices are different. This is why it can be difficult to help a seller when they have an issue because of the differences between the different devices. They see something different than I do. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@hbhill 

I totally agree. I don't understand why it seems to be so hard for etsy to do anything with any level of consistency. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Just mark the message as spam. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

. . . "I do not think that a shop should be effected by messages for personal purchases."  You mean those personal purchases you make from your seller's account?

There are literally 10's of millions of accounts on Etsy.  What technology could possibly decide which "hat" your wearing when you  make a purchase? Your seller hat, or your buyer hat?   Do you want someone reading all of your convos and making that decision?  I don't.

If you don't want to have to worry about your SSB rating, perhaps open a buyer only account and make purchases from there.

2 Likes
thePaperFramer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

FWIW, I have separate buying and selling accounts so not replying as a buyer has never been an issue. All it takes is a separate email address to create a buyer's only account. 

0 Likes
hbhill
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@thePaperFramer That is a solution, yet how hard is it to respond to a message or mark it as spam?

0 Likes
thePaperFramer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@thePaperFramer That is a solution, yet how hard is it to respond to a message or mark it as spam?

Judging by the 7 zillion threads we have had on this, it is apparently quite difficult for some.

2 Likes
hbhill
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@thePaperFramer The vast majority of sellers who started a post about the message requirement did not know how the star seller program worked; even months after the program started. They know their rating changed; yet the guidelines were on the same page as the ratings. Answering a message isn't hard, reading the guidelines seems to be the problem.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.