CraftsWithPudge
Inspiration Seeker

Star Seller status down because Etsy incorrectly placed a message in spam

I am really frustrated that my Star Seller status is at risk for May because of an Etsy error. I received a message from a potential customer but Etsy's site put it in spam. I was not notified of this message. Two days after the message was sent by the customer, I checked spam on a whim and saw it was there. I marked it "Not Spam" and replied. 

Now this is counting against me for my response time because I replied two days after the message was sent, but I was never notified of this message since it went into spam. 

Etsy customer service says on their end they have no way to tell if the message was originally placed in spam and can only see it is marked as not spam now. But the message was marked as not spam and I manually marked it as not spam. They said they also cannot see when a message was marked as not spam. 

This really sucks and I don't believe it is fair on me as a seller to have something bring my Star Seller status down because of an error on Etsy's side. I don't have any proof of it being in spam first since there is no record for me to look at. All I have is the message I replied where I apologize to the customer for the delayed response since Etsy marked it as spam, but that didn't help my case to customer service. 

If you have this issue, I recommend screenshotting the message in Spam before marking it as not spam. I wish I did.

Is there any way that Etsy can add a tracking system that can track when and if a message was placed in spam, and keep an electronic record of when a message is moved from spam to the main inbox?  

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
3 Replies

Re: Star Seller status down because Etsy incorrectly placed a message in spam

Yes, that is an issue that has been happening.  You will need to contact Etsy to inquire about this issue.

I now make it a practice to check spam folder everyday  while this is an issue.  

1 Like

I also had this happen to me recently too. I contacted Etsy via email and I received an automated message explaining the resent updates to protect us from spam and this paragraph at the end.

“Also, if Etsy has marked a message as spam that you subsequently move out of the folder, that will not impact your Star Seller eligibility. That said, we’re actively looking into reports of spam messages impacting Star Seller status or eligibility.

We’re working to improve the accuracy of these measures and we apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this may have caused.” 
Doesn’t sound like I will get my stars next Month??

0 Likes

The exact same thing happened to me, messages were incorrectly put into my spam by Etsy yet when I replied to them, they were considered late and I lost my star seller status for April.  Since I don't receive a great many messages, it will be a real challenge for me to gain star seller status back again for May.  My shop has been in good standing since it opened last February and now through no fault of my own I have been penalized for an error on Etsy's end.  They want us as shop owners  to give Stellar customer service but don't follow that rule themselves since sellers, who are also Etsy's customers, are not receiving the great customer service that Etsy expects of us. Very disappointed. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.