Star Seller "Message Response Rate" There's a technical error in my data! Please help me..

Jump to solution

I was planning to become a "star seller" in the next month. I was approaching all situations in my store with this goal in mind. But my message response rate, which was 100% a few days ago, suddenly dropped to 89%. When I examine the details, it seems that I responded to 1 person late. When I examine the messages, I see that I responded to everyone quickly. Only one customer "asked for help". At the same time, he sent me a message about his problem. We quickly solved his problem together in the messaging section and he ended the conversation by thanking me. This request for help has a note about responding within 24 hours. If the problem with my messaging speed data in the star seller panel is due to this, I have already talked to this customer. Is this a technical problem or should I have responded to their request for help, even if it was meaningless, just to protect this data?

WoodenDesignGarage
Semih BELYURT

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star Seller "Message Response Rate" There's a technical error in my data! Please help

Jump to solution

Help requests are separate from regular messages. If a customer sent you the same thing through both systems, then they both require a response. The help request system and the regular messages system do not talk to each other and replying in one spot does not satisfy the requirement of responding to the other.

If you responded to the help request, then you can still mark the other message as spam (but be aware all future messages will wind up in that folder). 

If you responded to the regular message but not the help request, then there is nothing you can do. You'll have to either wait until you have enough messages to offset it or wait the 3 months until it drops off. 

View solution in original post

3 Likes
14 Replies

Re: Star Seller "Message Response Rate" There's a technical error in my data! Please help

Jump to solution

Help requests are separate from regular messages. If a customer sent you the same thing through both systems, then they both require a response. The help request system and the regular messages system do not talk to each other and replying in one spot does not satisfy the requirement of responding to the other.

If you responded to the help request, then you can still mark the other message as spam (but be aware all future messages will wind up in that folder). 

If you responded to the regular message but not the help request, then there is nothing you can do. You'll have to either wait until you have enough messages to offset it or wait the 3 months until it drops off. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@WoodenDesignGarage: "Is this a technical problem or should I have responded to their request for help" Help Requests always start a new thread because they also start the clock ticking on a potential claim and the Star Seller metric is that you need to reply to the FIRST message of EVERY NEW INCOMING THREAD within 24 hours. As mentioned above, your options depend on which message thread you replied to and which one was unanswered.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Help requests also need to be answered.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

You have to respond to each new message thread

a "help request" is a new message thread, and absolutely has to be answered, as it starts the clock ticking for a case to be opened against you, not answering, means the bots do an auto refund from you, if a case is opened.

Etsy also marks each new message thread in BLUE, so you can't miss them.

.... It is not a technical issue, it is working exactly as it says it should.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Even if you respond to the Help Request messages, Etsy does not count them.  Happened to me with two messages, I replied to them within MINUTES, and Etsy did not count them as answered but DID count them AGAINST me.  When I disputed with proof of answering in a timely manner , they still said ‘nothing we can do’ and when I asked to elevate the issue I was told ‘No.’.  Etsy’s house, Etsy’s flim flam rules.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If you responded to Help messages within the order and did not respond to Etsy messages, they will count against you.  Otherwise, they won't.

All of my Help Request messages are shown as pluses not minuses.  I reply both places.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@HazelsSewingSupplies And one is supposed to know that how?  I replied to messages, but because of the way Etsy has it set up, it didn’t count.  Not my fault.  I did what I was supposed to do.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@EmmasHeritage 

You have to reply , at least once, to each new message THREAD, in the messages section

Etsy says you have to reply to the message THREAD, and they highlight them in BLUE, so you don't miss them.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

How are we supposed to know?

We read the rules and the rules plainly say the first message in a thread (any thread) must be replied to within 24 hours.

Sorry, Emma, but when we don't follow the rules, it is our fault and replying to all messages is what we are supposed to do.  Not just replying to the ones we think are important.

In my opinion, Etsy makes the rules very clear and since this one aspect of SSB is the only one that WE can control, we need to be mindful that we control it.

1 Like

Betreff: Star Seller "Message Response Rate" There's a technical error in my data! Please

Jump to solution

@WoodenDesignGarage , @EmmasHeritage 

Go to your Star Seller dashboard and scroll down to the Q&A section.

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/star-seller

Questions? We’ve got answers. -> Messages -> What happens if I’m getting messages from the same user through multiple message threads?

If messages are appearing in separate threads in your inbox, then as it stands today you’ll need to respond to the initial message of each thread. One idea to help mitigate this in the interim is to set up an auto-reply or to create a Saved Reply for multiple messages from the same user that don’t need individual responses.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thank you for all the responses. No longer thinking that I am only responding to the person. I will act knowing that I have to reply to all messages separately.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, unfortunately that is a common mistake. 

Also, it wasn't brought up in this instance, but just to note there is even another 3rd type of message.

This is when you send a message within the refund system. Many buyers will send a message or help request asking to cancel an order. The seller goes in to cancel it, and in there is a spot to message the buyer. Many sellers write a note here saying something along the lines of, 'I received your request to cancel, here is your refund'. These messages also do not satisfy the response required for the initial message, the response must be sent within the same system the initial message was received in. This is just FYI, so you are prepared if this happens in the future. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you for mentioning this additional detail about our subject. You have prevented me from experiencing this situation... 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I do a lot of have a wonderful day, have a wonderful week etc. To always have a last response. On any and all inquiries, no matter type or if they are repetitive. I find Messages the easiest to keep up.  For me it’s the crazy expensive tracking within Canada that keeps me from being a Total Star!!! I pay $2 for First Class or up to $22 to track. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.