Shop critique

Can I get a shop critique plz

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
MoodandMantle
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Shop critique

Love the fossils, so cool! 

As a buyer, some thoughts I had browsing your store:

-I can not find measurements for many of the piece that I looked at. Adding measurements or providing a picture of someone holding the piece would be helpful.  

-I don't automatically understand the first few words of your titles (I am not a geologist or a paleontologist), try putting 'FOSSIL' closer to the beginning of the title so it does not get cut off (eg- Fern Fossil Carboniferous Linopteris) 

-What do people use these for? Would they make cool bookends, garden decor or can they be hung on the wall?  Try showing them in an environment that buyers can envision in their own home. 

Hope that helps! 

3 Likes

Your shop is extremely niche with a lot of very sciency terms that most shoppers won't understand.

It's good to have some very specific terms, but you'll want to have broader keywords as well to draw more casual collectors who don't know the specific terms.

Put the broader terms at the front of the listing, and the more specific information towards the back. Right now a casual browser will only see the first few words. For example, "White Carboniferous Reticulopteris", which 99% of people have no idea about.

Example listing title:

"Rare Fossil Fern Specimen, White Carboniferous Reticulopteris, Large Collectible Paleozoic Plant, 2 Sided Display Piece"

Your descriptions have too much white space. This:

"Age:

(~305 m.yo)

>Paleozoic Era"

Would be better as:

"Age:

~305 million years old

Paleozoic Era

Upper Carboniferous/Middle Pennsylvanian"

State measurements in your description. Say how you will safely pack it. Maybe talk about what kind of plant it was when it lived, what it co-existed with (like dinosaurs or the first mammals).  Give more information to draw in the buyer.

The description also gives search engine clues as to what the item is, so you should say something like:

"I hand mined this fossil fern specimen and carefully prepared it for display. It will make a great gift for a botanist or rock collector, a wonderful Father's Day gift. Excellent decor for your study or university office."

Tags should literally describe the item in 2 - 4 word phrases or collections of words that literally describe the item for sale.

NO single word tags - fill all 13 tags and 20 characters with unique search terms.

NO repeats - they are unnecessary because the search engine automatically draws from every tag to match the search query.

NO words that don't literally describe your items - they will drag your item further back in search results. For example, you aren't selling "dinosaurs" or "archaeology".

Some examples for that listing:

"large plant fossil", "White Carboniferous", "Reticulopteris Fern", "2 Sided Display", "fossilized plant", "rare collectible", "collectable specimen", "man cave decor", "professor present", "Father's day gift", "rockhound decor", "prehistoric flora",  etc.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/search-advertisement-recommendation/899478564529

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/366469415790

2 Likes

I didn’t see any policies. Without policies a buyer will almost always get a refund if they open a case. Since you sell to the EU and the UK make sure you have everything you need to comply with their laws. 

0 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

Etsy have said that they penalize shops in search results if they are not properly set up.

You are missing both policies and an About Page - these are required for a shop to be finished.

As you are selling to the EU and UK, you must have a GDPR privacy policy and fill in the area at the bottom of your policies, called Seller Details - these are legal requirements for selling to those countries, so essential.

As @OmasFabricStash mentioned, without proper, legal policies, you are not protected if a customer opens a case against you.

You also must offer returns for EU and UK customers. If you don't, they get a default of a full year to demand a refund - without needing to return the item! And Etsy will back them on this.

The items I looked at didn't state any measurements.  There is a ruler in one of the pictures, which I assume is probably showing inches.. but as it is not obvious, visitors may easily be confused.

If someone opens a case of not as described, and you haven't actually stated the dimensions, you are almost certainly going to lose it.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.