Serious Search display issues in Safari on an iPad

For the last hour or so, when I’ve tried to use the search function on my iPad, using Safari and not the app, the search results page clearly is not displaying more than about 30% of the photos, as there are 3 lines of “add to cart” buttons between each line of photos.  Search looks OK on my MacBook, so maybe it’s just mobile devices, or just some.  But it’s disconcerting.  If I were a shopper and saw that, I’d totally give up on Etsy, as it looks so glitchy.  Not very confidence inspiring.

Wish I could attach a screen shot…

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
VentyHintage
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Serious Search display issues in Safari on an iPad

My listings have looked demented for a week! 

1 Like

I was wondering if this was something Etsy was going to fix.  No idea if this is a test or ??  No text under all but one of my listings, and they're all run together.  Where do we go from here.. it would be nice to get an announcement or something.. 

0 Likes

Here’s a screenshot (last photo on listing):  It’s on one of my less popular listings, but I will remove it in a few days.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/975309118/my-favorite-things-an-i-spy-paper-pieced?ref=listing_publishe...

interestingly, the Search in Safari on my iPhone looks OK, so it’s something specific to tablets or iPad.

0 Likes

For me on my kindle looked fine.

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@PieceByNumberQuilts  I can't find the listing in search to view the photo.

0 Likes

@SugarTaffySoap   If you just click on the link it should take you straight to the listing -- it's for a quilt, then you have to look at the last photo to see the screen shot:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/975309118/my-favorite-things-an-i-spy-paper-pieced?ref=listing_publishe...

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@PieceByNumberQuilts  Ahh, ok. I see. Very strange. Did you notify chat support to report it? They'll want a screenshot. Also, this listing did not show up in Etsy's search. (I copied and pasted the title into search.)

0 Likes

It's a mess on my Mac using Safari.  All photos but one running together with no text.  Since last week.  Would be nice to get some info from Etsy.

0 Likes

I see it; I'm on my MacBook, using Safari.

0 Likes

My photos and descriptions are are not whole.  They look like the displays run together and there is no description.  I noticed this earlier today and 4 hours later it is still the same.  I have a mac desktop and iPhone,  I wonder if it is something with Safari?

0 Likes

More than 24 hours later, nothing has changed. 

I finally had a chat with Etsy help late yesterday. After a bit of confusion trying to explain exactly what the problem was, she finally said she saw it too.  She asked if I saw the same on Firefox or Chrome;  no, on Firefox on my iPad, it was fine.  (I refuse to use Chrome and don't have it installed).  

Because developers usually want to know such things, I told her the model of my iPad (gen6, 3 or so years old) and the IOS software version (16.5, the most recent).  I got a little lecture about needing to use a "modern browser" and that would solve the problem.  *sigh*   I asked her to please send my issue and screenshots to the technical team and she said she would.  

I realize Safari is perhaps somewhat less used than Chrome, Firefox and whatever Microsoft calls its browser now, but it still should be adequately supported by Etsy even on mobile devices.  Not everyone wants to use the Etsy apps.  (LOL)

What I noticed after looking at the screen shots a bit more carefully is that only the photos for Etsy Ads are appearing.  If it is a normal (non-ad) search result, the photo doesn't display, only the Add To Cart button for that item.  This is why there are 2 extra lines of Add To Cart buttons between the lines of photos.   If I didn't know better, I'd suspect this was Etsy's way of getting us all to buy Etsy Ads...

0 Likes
bookishandbeads
Inspiration Seeker

Have you updated your iPad? Mine shows fine. 

0 Likes

@bookishandbeads  Yes, the iPad says it's all up to date, and I rebooted it as well. Still looks a mess on Safari.  

0 Likes

My shop on my kindle looks a mess. On my laptop looked fine, although I haven't checked it today. Etsy is getting more frustrating everyday.

0 Likes

I don't think it has anything to do with Etsy, I think it is Safari.  I switch to google Chrome on my I Mac and it's fine.  I switch back to safari and it's messed up both on the the same apple computer.  It has been messed up on safari for about 5 days and Im not sure how to fix it.

0 Likes

After 2 months my listings and pictures are still messed up.  Was there ever a fix for this?  Im wondering if its is effecting my sales.

0 Likes

@rtistmary   I don't think it was ever fixed.  If I search Etsy using Safari on my iPad, I see the same mess.  Well, not exactly the same, because Etsy is doing a LOT of testing right now on how search displays, but the only listings pictures that show up are those associated with ads.  Then there are lines and lines of "add to cart" buttons which are associated with other (non-ad) listings, except the photos and titles don't display.  Looks weird.

Funny enough, Etsy search on my laptop version of Safari looks OK and also on my iPhone, so I don't quite understand what the problem is.  Obviously there must be some differences between the Safari versions for the three platforms, but something about Etsy search doesn't play nicely with the iPad's Safari.

0 Likes

@PieceByNumberQuilts 

I had a similar issue yesterday, where I had NO, I repeat NO thumbnails or listings come up with searches with Google Chrome for HOURS!!!  No ads, either, NOTHING!   Just the little page numbers at the bottom.   I thought it was because I'd recently deleted a couple of programs on my computer, only to find out everything looked just fine on my other browser (Epic).  Google Chrome had recently updated, it could have been their issue... at least, that's what I thought... but if you're having it on Safari then it's not them.  And maybe it's not Safari, either. 

0 Likes

search results look fine on my ipad using safari, so it could be your in some test that is specific to browser and user and the test is totally messed up

0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

@PieceByNumberQuilts 

Can you message/send a convo me?? I have a question about your devices. Without getting off topic here- which it would be.. thanks

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.