Seller message me to complete my purchase

I have a shop, but on this particular occasion, I was searching the marketplace for some items. I put an item into my cart, but I did not purchase it yet as I was still shopping. Out of nowhere I get a message from the seller from that shop asking me to please complete my purchase. How did this person know what I had in my cart and how was he able to message me and ask me to purchase it when I had not messaged him. How is that even possible? I thought it was extremely rude and I did not purchase anything from his shop. I just can't understand how he was able to contact me?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Seller message me to complete my purchase

Sellers can scroll through their shop listings and see what is in people's carts ... but I had no idea we could see WHO the carts belong to.

Did the message come from Etsy by any chance ... offering a promotion code to purchase. Have you signed up for Etsy notifications?

I would have done the same thing as you if I got a message from a seller to complete my purchase ... I like to peruse and shop in peace and hate being nagged.

You might consider reporting the shop. We're not supposed to send unsolicited messages.

0 Likes

I think these are Etsy's pop up notifications.  Shops can subscribe to having messages sent to potential buyers.

5 Likes

I put something in my cart about a month ago and the next day I got a message from Etsy for that shop to complete my purchase. I can see when people have items in their cart, but not who. I think your message came from Etsy. I did not like the message and did not purchase the item. I left the item in the cart, but never got another message. Might be some silly test thing with Etsy, but they will upset some people.

2 Likes

Hello, here is what possibly happened:

1) you received something from Etsy, such as a reminder to check out, or a pop-up. 

please know, sellers do not control that. and we hate it because it annoys customers.

2) you received a discount code, because you have opted-in to receive discount codes. In this case, the seller still does not see what is in your cart. This is an automatic coupon code system. If you would like to opt-out, please update your settings under: Account Settings > Emails > Coupons and Promotions

I hope that information is helpful ♥ again, I promise, sellers hate the pop-ups too. If you check the forum, there are tons of complaints

4 Likes
AnnaleasFinest
Conversation Maker

Betreff: Seller message me to complete my purchase

@RocketbookCreations 

unless a recent change has been made, we sellers don't see who carts what. So this message is highly unlikely to come directly from the seller, but the seller offers something for favoriting an item, or for leaving something in the cart.

Check it out in your dashboard, which "reminders" we can enable and Etsy send them for us

We can enable that Etsy sends a buyer a little discount for faving something.

Was a discount being offered?

It's hard to tell without seeing the message.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Sellers don't know who has what in their carts.  "Abandoned Cart" coupons are sent out as quickly as 2 hours after you leave something in your cart.  If it had a coupon or discount offered, it came from Etsy, not the seller.  

2 Likes

@RocketbookCreations: Buyer data is the most valuable asset that Etsy has and they are not going to share that with a seller any sooner than they absolutely have to (i.e. after an order has been placed and accepted). Don't know how the message was worded, but it did not come from the seller directly as a seller has no knowledge of who specifically has carted an item.

0 Likes

@RocketbookCreations   Are you sure it was from the seller?  There is a popup reminding people to buy but it is from Etsy not the seller.

If you did purchase something from that seller previously, you might also get a pop up reminder for any coupon the seller  may have given you.

1 Like
Jewels2at
Community Maker

Sometimes buyers put items in their cart to see if the shop has the "cart promotion" set up so they can get a coupon code.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.