Vintorious
Community Maker

Search results now showing all photos without clicking on listing?!

I just noticed today that when I perform a search, the results have scrolling arrows that allow me to browse the photos for an item without actually clicking to open the listing. Did I just never notice this before, or is this new

As a potential buyer, I like it, as it's a bit of a time saver. With my seller hat on though, I wonder: if someone is browsing and simply scrolls through the photos without visiting the listing, how if at all is this reflected in shop statistics?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Search results now showing all photos without clicking on listing?!

I don't have the ability to scroll thru pictures in search results when signed in - laptop/W10/Chrome.

I do have the ability to scroll thru the pictures from the search results when incognito on Edge. 

The "Add to Cart" option is there.
Personally as a buyer I still want to read the full description, check out the shop I'm considering purchasing from etc. before I even cart the item.
Yes, at least a buyer might get a bit more information on the item from simply scrolling thru the pictures. But......

2 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

I am signed in on my laptop and using Chrome, so that's strange. 

I do the same as you when I am shopping, but I admit, I do like the ability to see if the item is what I think it is before reading all of the details.

0 Likes

@Vintorious  - This is probably another in a long line of Etsy Tests then. 

One thing I did notice was the clarity of the photos. While the initial photo in search results was normal, I swear as scrolled along they went from sort of out of focus to downright fuzzy. 

3 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

I''m on laptop (Chrome), and I see it. Another test? 

I didn't have to click anything to see all the pics and a video (where available). Hover over, and it starts. 

0 Likes
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

I see this too and like it!  As you say, it's a time saver.  It also nice to not have to go into the listing where the pop-up nonsense starts.  

It would be great if scrolling through the photos would be reflected in stats but I can definitely see it not being included--at least in the beginning. 

If people scroll through the photos I also hope it will give a boost the quality rating of the listing. In the past people looking through the photos increased the score but who knows if that is still true.

2 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

I guess not having to click on the listing could be a good thing for those using ads, if the purpose is to make sure that the potential buyer is really REALLY motivated, and not just wasting ad fees? It sort of works against generating ad fees though...I think?

0 Likes
UptownYvette
Conversation Maker

I noticed this feature a day or two ago and I love it.  I think it's great especially for sellers who have as many photos as possible on their listings.  It gives those sellers an edge. 

Yes, it probably does work against generating ad fees, but if Etsy wants sellers to continue using ad fees or to start using them at all, they need to provide greater incentives and this may help.

1 Like
apaperaffaire
Conversation Maker

Yep, I have this too. It is convenient for shoppers! 

1 Like

Would this be a way to capitalize on using a photo slot for description ?

1 Like

It might be, though you'd have to test to see what not only fits but what is legible in search photos. 
And of course there is the App to consider? I don't use apps so I never know how listings & all the fine points of them are displayed. 

0 Likes

@JMOldeVintage  "One thing I did notice was the clarity of the photos. While the initial photo in search results was normal, I swear as scrolled along they went from sort of out of focus to downright fuzzy. "

I agree

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.