RamoryTeeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Scammers have developed tactics

I'm getting messages like this from scammers now.

They now send a compliment before asking for an email.

like this: "Good evening, I am very interested in your products. Did you make this beautiful design?"
"Hello xxxxxxxxxxx, how are you doing?
Your products are nice and attractive. Did you list the product yourself?"  .etc..

Unfortunately, they specifically target new sellers and their recently listed products.

New sellers on Etsy are in great danger.

This is a security vulnerability because from the Etsy seller mobile app the profile of the sender of the message is no longer visible and the message cannot be marked as spam, you can only flag spam through the browser.

I know very well how to mark spam and how to view the sender's profile, but the real problem is with the Etsy Seller Mobile App.

Many new sellers are unfamiliar with the Etsy community and forums, so the mobile app needs to be updated urgently in favor of sellers.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes
4 Replies

Re: Scammers have developed tactics

While I do not use the app at all I do agree with you 100%!

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

I only use the app for making quick responses to messages when I am on the go.  Most online apps tend to have limitations that make it unsuitable (and in some cases unwise) to rely on them to run all functions of your business on them.  Better off using the full website on a laptop or desktop, or at least in a browser, using a tablet or mobile phone that doesn't default to phone friendly formats.

I wouldn't rely on Etsy updating the new app.  The old one, while far from perfect, was better functionally than the "new and improved" one.  I can't even get a cha-ching out of it.

3 Likes

I received my very first "Etsy staff" message today 

"Currently the order processing system of your store is suspended. To resume work and view new customer orders, please provide your e-mail address in the chat."

So it is not just new stores they are targeting now.

Reported the username to stop them from messaging others 

0 Likes

@RamoryTeeArt 

"and the message cannot be marked as spam, you can only flag spam through the browser."

I have no idea why etsy failed to include the mark as spam button on the new sellers app. It makes zero sense to me. 

The mark as spam option is on the etsy shopping app (the orange app) so you can mark as spam there if you prefer to use apps.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.