Scam message containing malware...

I have just received a message from a Michelle Torres with this message:

[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

When I clicked on this link, luckily my security flashed up a warning - this link contains malware !! After replying to her that i would not be opening the link as it contains something nasty, I visted her page, amd what do you know - magically she has vanished. This user does not existy/

So this is a warning to sellers - be very careful of outside links. Genuine buyers will just link straight to the items and not to a zipped file, and genuine buyers do not usually tempt you with multiple sales in such a way !!

Lesson learned...

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
12 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Scam message containing malware...

Why would you ever click on a link?

6 Likes

Oh I wouldn't normally, however this is the first time I have received anything like via Etsy messaging rather than e-mail. Stupid really...that's why I put this warning up.

3 Likes

"Why would you ever click on a link?" Well my partner is in her 70s and very vulnerable, so receiving a convo from Etsy she does, of course, trust it. Unfortunately I was not there when it came in, this is not the first time. TBH I think your comment is rather patronising.

1 Like

Yes I've just received two email with 20 mins of each other from different names saying they want to nuy products for there family of 7 and it includes a link (i did not click) so keep a look out!

5 Likes

Same. The account name was Kendra Johnson which has since been removed. Looks like Etsy took the trash out.

2 Likes
ArtfulTravelPast
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Lottie, Glad I came here as I got the same email from a Hannah Williams yesterday. Family of 7 and wanted to purchase mutiple items and something about bonuses. Luckily gmail moved the message to my spam and showed it contained phishing links. Please do not click and engage with these bad actors. Thanks for putting this up helped me confirm my suspicion. 

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@VintageJewelleryFun   @Lottieoflondon Thank You for the Heads Up. These scammers are desperate and will try anything. "Can you make me...?" or "Any more of these?" (just for examples). And I think for Sellers who do Custom work, you may think something is legit. But it's best not to click on any link. Appreciate the warning.

2 Likes

You replied so it is best to run your anti virus again.

Etsy removed the account because she was spamming.

Never reply to spam messages.

1 Like
meineStrickerei
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: Scam message containing malware...

For me it is (unfortunatlely) part of my buisiness, customers send links of models they would like to have worked on.

0 Likes

I also received this request for a multiple sale for employee Christmas gifts. Sent to spam.

3 Likes

I had an Etsy message tonite saying a customer ordered something & was paid, but Etsy has put your account on hold or something to that effect. I just moved it to trash. I tried to report it as scam but could not find it on the cell phone Etsy app.

1 Like

@TheVintageStrip it's likely a scam. Etsy messages will appear in the 'from Etsy' section. 

There is no 'spam' button on the app apparently. You have to use the browser view if you're on a phone. Make sure you do mark it as spam or you will be dinged for the star seller program.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.