PBWNB
Inspiration Seeker

Scam Message for imaginary sales

Hi

Just started a Etsy store and wondering how it is even possible for phishing accounts to create profiles with The name Etsy in it? My first 7 messages came from Accounts Named Etsy this or Etsy that orange logo and evrything an telling me i needed to confirm some information in order to complete my very first sales. I'm new here I had to look up the abc online afffter I received these Messages asking me to confirmed my email or payment method.

How are they able to create and run accounts with Etsy in it and why havent they find a way to flag these accounts at creation by now?

Thank you

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Re: Scam Message for imaginary sales

As fast as Etsy closes these accounts, several more spring up.

There is no way to tell these accounts are scammers until after they start sending messages to (often new, inexperienced) sellers

Read these :

New “From Etsy” section in Messages - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Solved: How to Spot a Scam - No a Buyer Doesn't Need Your ... - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Protect Your Account From Scammers - Welcome to the Etsy Community

Remember, Etsy already have your email and financial information, so you don't need to enter it again anywhere

If you have a genuine sale, it will appear on your Dashboard

2 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Actually if you have a sale, it will appear on your "Orders" page.

0 Likes

I got one of those messages shortly after I started my shop, it was really disappointing when I realized that it wasn’t real. Sorry this is happening to you! I hope they figure it out soon.

0 Likes

Etsy had a big orange 6 line warning about scams, on the messages, you had to click to say you had read it, before it would go away

One of the main things it said, is to check the "From Etsy" folder  on the left hand side column of messages, if the message wasn't also in that folder, it was not from etsy, it was a scam, so mark as spam and ignore it.

Use a browser to look at your shop and messages.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.