SOS, not another holiday with only TWO drop down customization menus?!

My best seller on amazon handmade -needs 5 drop down customization menus.  It sales great there- awesome product- 1000's of happy customers.

Here at etsy- zero sales- it's a complicated problem (not really with proper easy customizing abilities) - and the sales ON IT HERE ARE DEAD here. 

Such a pity too.

Wondering when is this lack of customizing, straight forward, easy via simple click- (aka several drop down menus / selections ability) - is going to be improved?

Etsy has the ability to do amazing things.  I've been a full time etsy seller since 2011- with several shops.  I'm just soooo sick of this- as described above.  It hurts custom products sales- and looks bad- 

yet etsy pushes Custom products- the home of handcrafted.

It hurts my soul to know another holiday with only two drop down menus.  Never understood this lack.  So please help me understand- this is a technical problem- please fix.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
8 Replies
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Re: SOS, not another holiday with only TWO drop down customization menus?!

Hi 

See if this helps. The biggest issue with variants on Etys you can't put a one variant on sale it has to be all or nothing but Etsy likes to  work on  other less important and untested enhancements

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015664047-How-to-Add-Variations-for-Your-Listings?segment...

2 Likes

They want more than the 2 variations etsy offers.

1 Like

Ok,

thanks for that- perhaps that's why they only have two. (due to variation prices) - I have scratched my head, about it for years- wondering what in the world??!!  Why only two?

The personalization box. (should be called "notes to seller box", but that's another story) - the personalization box is rudimentary at best.

although amazon handmade does have 10 drop down customization option menus- with no problems - and has since day one.

1 Like

Oh man yes more than the two variations would be so helpful for made to order items, the two aren’t enough and using the personalization box or stuffing double options into one is just so messy. 

We can keep hoping…

2 Likes

Any ideas Etsy?  When will you get modern, and not in the dark ages with two measly drop down menus.  Need at least 5. 

What gives?

I didn't even make myself clear in the original post- as I was actually upset when I wrote it- thinking about having to sludge through anther 4th Quarter with such quaint tech, that is crucial to making a good product, and clear, clean communication - offering more to the customer, and making the seller's life easier- in an already complicated task on their end- keeping the customer happy with what we make them- according to what they specify as their desires in their order. 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

I manage quite well with 2 variations, by combining two together.  Eg pack size and finish, with options like Pack of two/matte, Pack of two/gloss, Pack of 3/matte, Pack of 3/gloss.

Personally I move on if I see a listing with 5 variations.  It is too much hard work as a buyer.  JMO

1 Like

Glad it works for you- but I give away personalization on a product due to lack of drop down- on amazon I charge extra for personalization, so I'm losing money.

Thanks the the support, & for hijacking my etsy tech SOS post. 

I'm active in SEVERAL etsy facebook groups, and having more than two drop down menu is universally agreed upon as more than useful.  Certainly is on amazon-handmade where they have 10 drop down menus.  And you don't see too many customers "moving on" there, due to getting exactly what they want via easy quick click drop down menus.  Perhaps two is what we've had to settle for, what you're used on etsy- but it's unacceptable to many store owners of dynamic truly handcrafted custom objects.  

Heck, for years and years, we begged for a drop down menu.   We thought it was a miracle when after almost a decade we got those two-

and it actually took YEARS and years, before they put a personalization box on the listing page. 

So I'm used to asking about useful listing tools-  maybe one day etsy will listen, when they have time - it just takes them several years. 

1 Like
IndigoandLuxe
Conversation Maker

Welcome to the club. I could literally triple my sales overnight if Etsy did two more variations, but they prefer your product page to be full of unrelated reviews and ads instead. Picking up pennies in front of a steamroller, as they say...but it is what it is.

And as far as the tech being impossible, don't listen to that nonsense. I do it on my website and I never have the amount of duplicate questions or confused customers about a product as I do on Etsy. Variants can be additive in pricing instead of having to manually enter millions of prices for every single combination. I I can do it myself on a simple website, then surely Etsy can do it with their tech staff.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.