This is causing a massive issue in shipping calculation, especially for international sales.

We can setup items to vary by SKU, but there is no where to set a weight for each SKU.

This means even on a listing with small/medium/Large/XL    the XL and the small end up having shipping calculated as the same weight.

Domestically this usually is a variance of "only"  $3-6  but internationally it can be a huge variance in shipping prices between the small and the large depending on where in the world it is shipping and if  one of the items is under a lb.

(Before you suggest it, no making multiple listings for every single size is a horrible idea).

---------------------
This applies to Calculated shipping, not flat rate shipping. Obviously flat rate shipping applies to the whole listing.

Re: SKU's Weights all the same

A suggestion box wouldn't do any good. I finally realized that Etsy doesn't care nor do they want to hear our complaints or suggestions. They don't respect us or our opinions. If we leave, it won't hurt them because new sellers are always signing up.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

bump, i have the same problem Etsy. Shipping various sized items (like wall art), between the small and large size is more than a $20 variance and that's just in the States, nevermind shipping to other countries where the it's even a greater variance. It sucks that the options are create multiple listing for the same item or.... I don't know, charge the smaller items $10 more in shipping and the larger items $10 less in shipping and hope it balances out somewhere? It would be great if Etsy moderated these forums and actually took suggestions into making corrections in the platform that would benefit both sellers and buyers.

1 Like
AgreeableAgony
Conversation Maker

@FunkyAnimalPortraits

Sadly etsy doesnt read these forums.

I would recommend going the route week took

1.  Email the devs - hopefully critical mass of feedback will eventually help: developer@etsy.com

2.  Slowly migrate away from etsy to a functional ecommerce platform like shopify. 

0 Likes
Hertfordweaver
Conversation Maker

I think you need to add it to Etsy's suggestion box. There is a long thread going on right now collecting suggestions to improve Etsy for sellers and buyers. This would be a good addition to it. Sorry, I don't know how to make a link to it.

0 Likes
AgreeableAgony
Conversation Maker

Is it a thread etsy is going to read or care about?

I emailed the developer email.

I think others should as well. 

But feel free to drop a link to the latest hopeful thread. 

0 Likes

I'm gonna say it again, just because Etsy should listen to our suggestions and ideas, doesn't mean that they will.

For a very short time, there was natural phone number that we could call and talk to someone, like a real cust svc rep. 

Believe me when I say when that was available. I called numerous times with numerous suggestions  that would not only help the sellers, but would probably benefit Etsy as well.

Etsy feels as if they know everything about everything, and we sellers don't know what we're doing.

I do have my own Shopify site. And of course, I could just go ahead and leave Etsy, which I've did for a couple of years. But Etsy has a lot of traffic so I choose to be here. 

It sucks to have 2 me to listings for the same item because of shipping charges, but until they decide to change things. I guess we just have to do, we have to do.

If you can think of a way of getting a message across to the correct department, that will actually listen to our suggestions, please let me know.

2 Likes
AgreeableAgony
Conversation Maker

I feel you. were basically in the same boat.

The developer@etsy.com  email is the best I have found. I suspect many single suggestions get ignored unless they are easily implemented, but volume of requests does build up. 

0 Likes
AgreeableAgony
Conversation Maker

The laugh cry part of this is the few times I have gotten semi decent replies its always people who say things like "Wow, that does sound like a good idea!"

... and I always want to hug them and tell them i am sorry about their ideals at this new job.

Etsy seems to have no intention of ever fixing this.  And despite telling me repeatedly that it will be  put into the suggestions to devs etc It doesn't seem like its ever being looked at.   Usually its a formulaic response, or someone who entirely doesnt get the issue responding. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.