MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

Quantity of Items Available Not Showing Up in a Dropdown Menu

The quantities available are not showing up in the dropdown box for customers to choose from in some of my listings. They ARE showing up in a some other listings. The listing will automatically renew until all the quantities are sold, but the customer cannot choose a quantity. I did a search on this topic. Someone said the customer would be able to choose a quantity when she checks out. But it's confusing to the customers because she can't choose a number until she checks out. I didn't realize this was happening until a customer complained that she couldn't choose a quantity. Hopefully this is a temporary bug? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
9 Replies

Re: Quantity of Items Available Not Showing Up in a Dropdown Menu

I buy mostly beading supplies here and the quantity desired can be chosen on the listing page before adding to the cart - I just did this recently with someone I shop with often. I have heard about this issue and I wonder if it's category specific.

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

My categories are all the same. I sell vintage. Someone said it has to do with price. If the item is more than $20, customer can't select quantity. I have some rolls of vintage wallpaper. When people wallpaper, they often need more than one roll so this is a problem. 

1 Like

@MadGirlRetro that has to be incredibly annoying. I prefer to know if the quantity I need is available before I add to cart

3 Likes

If they are priced over $20, then you need to add to cart before selecting quantity.  Been this way for a couple of years - I hate it, and it makes no sense.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Providing-Great-Customer-Service/STEAMED/m-p/133814196

5 Likes

It really doesn't make any sense - it would seem that sellers could potentially be losing out on sales if the customer thinks they only have one available

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

@AutumnHollowStudio that's what a customer said to me. She didn't know how many were still left. I probably lost that sale now. I replied but haven't heard from her again. 

0 Likes

If the item is over a certain price the quantity will show after they put it in their cart. Lower priced items will be seen on the listing page. It’s been this way for a few years   

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

@OmasFabricStash yes, that's what they are saying. I don't see the point. It's confusing to the customers. 

1 Like

I just sent this message to Etsy support...might just get the same talking point response.  It's about the description issue, plus the available quantity issue.  Feel free to copy and paste relevant info and invite others to contact them!

I've spent endless hours on the phone to support without receiving any useful information about these issues, so I thought I'd try through email.

I have 2 shops on Etsy, but my primary shop is Terra Bella Beads associated with em2tone23@gmail.com

Etsy did a test a couple of years ago where they decided that all items over $20 would not have available quantity drop-down menus on the listing page.
As a seller of supplies that are at all different price points, quantities and sizes within single listing pages, I've had countless customers contact me to ask if I have more than one of an item.  NO ONE understands that they have to add one item to the cart, and even if they did it is extremely cumbersome to add each size to the cart, then leave the listing page to see if there are enough available for their designs.

On the message forums there are many sellers, especially of supplies, that are expressing confusion from their customers.  For every one who contacts the sellers, there may be many more who just move onto another selling venue.  Hiding the available quantity for some items but not all makes it especially confusing.  I recently had to put into my announcement header and at the top of every listing description that the item needs to be added to the cart to see the available quantity.  

This brings me to the second issue, which is the item descriptions now require a scroll and double click to access.  It's already problematic that customers don't read descriptions before purchasing, and this will make it more likely that they end up having to return items because they didn't read the details about size or other information.  Also, I put my item number in the description for my own use, and now I have to double click to get information that I need to pull the orders.  

I'm most concerned about the quantity drop-downs, whereas the other issue is frustrating but isn't losing me sales, just giving me carpal tunnel.
Please consider adding back the quantity drop down for all items in the listing page, and also in the cart so that customers have both options.

kind regards, 
Elisa Morrison
Terra Bella Beads
2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.