This is a new one for me. Last night, purchases made by someone else have shown up in my account. I only became aware when I started receiving requests for reviews. These items were not on my purchase list before yesterday. I do happen to know the person who made the orders but they are not connected to my account in any way and I didn't place the orders or pay for them. I don't think she even knows I have an etsy account. I'm the only one with access to my account. She ordered the items and loved them so much she forwarded the "It's here" email to my husbands email-she's a client of his. Then the fun began! Suddenly, I'm being asked to review them and they showed up on my purchases list!

Re: Purchases showing up in my account that I didn't order

Jump to solution

This definitely feels like a convo you should be having with your husband and not us. LOL

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
13 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch   I agree!  Pardon my cynicism.  Been there.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@Saved4Later 

Please let us know if you figure out what happened- this is very odd, I can't understand how this could happen.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I hate it when OPs leave us hanging .......

11 Likes

Jump to solution

@OneEyeCatStudio 

Perhaps she and hubby are having a discussion.

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Oh, to be a fly on the wall....

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I've got a feeling we might have heard the last of this.....

6 Likes

Jump to solution

All this sounds like the beginning of the plot outline for a Lifetime movie

8 Likes

Jump to solution

Now I need to know what hubby ordered on the sly.   Must know! 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I think I would be asking friend and husband about this.  Perhaps someone knows your account and your credit card.  I'm kinda of leaning towards husband.   

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Do you have a birthday or anniversary coming up?  Perhaps hubby enlisted your friend's assistance to shop for some special gifts, without you knowing?  

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Hey all, I just discovered that there were so many replies to my post! So to update and answer the most glaring responses...My husband did not order these items by accident or on purpose and he is not in cahoots with this client, lol, we got a kick out of reading these! These purchases from December showed up in my account on Feb 15 AFTER that etsy email was forwarded to us. He does not use the computer for anything other than playing games. I am the computer person, he wouldn't have a clue-he'd have to figure out the computer login first! He is a contractor, she has been a client for 20+ years. He installed this very pretty mailbox for her and commented that it was nice. She forwarded the "It's here" email to show him where she purchased it in case he wanted to buy one too.  All emails come to my computer. It's possible I clicked the view order link but I would need to sign in and then if the order isn't related to you in any way shouldn't you get some sort of error message? I don't recall clicking the link, I wouldn't usually do that. I'm sure it's related to the email though, and I remain completely mystified as does the actual buyer who told me to leave a good review, she loves it! I don't have any answers and I just changed my password for safety sake.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks for coming back to fill us in, but still unanswered questions as to how this happened.

I remember years ago some sellers were seeing each others shop manager or some such oddity, and with Etsy and its glitches, anything is possible.

Have you reported this to Etsy?

Why would the actual buyer ask you to leave a review for the item she purchased?

Is she unable to access her account to leave a review?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I actually finally found the tech support link before I found these replies. I find etsy not so easy to navigate when looking for help!  Yes, I just emailed them the issue. We will see if they respond. I think the actual buyer may have used guest checkout. She didn't seem at all concerned about the fact that I got the review requests. She's kind of happy go lucky. I guess she figures we're not strangers and everyone loves the mailbox so go ahead and review. I don't think she realizes this raises an account security issue for me.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@Saved4Later 

I agree, Etsy is not easy to navigate for help- it's not like you can call an actual person for help.

Interesting if she purchased as a guest...

Are you able to leave a review- did you check to see it that was an option?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Not being able to speak with someone is frustrating. I agree, as others have suggested, it's plausible if she checked out as a guest and I clicked the link in the email will possibly explain this glitch, but not why. Interestingly, I just discovered her address was added to my addresses in my account too! No it wasn't there before. I also have messaged the seller to see how things show up on her end and she said I show up as the buyer. Obviously, I didn't message with her until after I discovered the glitch. I haven't reviewed because, well, I'm not the buyer! However, the reminder is annoyingly there every time I sign in, so I assume I would be able to do so. There's just no excuse for it.

1 Like
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

did you make sure you haven't been charged for this?

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@Saved4Later Thanks for the updates. This truly is a mystifying issue. I hope Etsy customer support are able to straighten things out for you.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@Saved4Later 

"...and she said I show up as the buyer. Obviously, I didn't message with her until after I discovered the glitch. I haven't reviewed because, well, I'm not the buyer! However, the reminder is annoyingly there every time I sign in, so I assume I would be able to do so. There's just no excuse for it."

Wow! It just doesn't make any sense! 

While you show up as the buyer,  the shipping address must have been your husband's client, as she received her lovely mailbox, and must have used her credit card to purchase.

I wonder if this is happening to other sellers/buyers?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think there's a really good chance that there is no great mystery here, no glitch, and nothing sinister going on. (Occam's Razor)

Guest buyer receives email about a purchase, with embedded ability to link the purchase to an Etsy account if she wishes, which all guest buyer emails have.

Guest buyer forwards email to OP's husband, who then forwards it to the OP.

OP clicks on link in the guest buyer's email to see the item. The Etsy system thinks it's the guest buyer (because it is the email to the guest buyer, after all), looking at her order from her Etsy account, and links the purchase to the Etsy account of the person who clicked on the link in the guest buyer email.

That's how it's supposed to work. The email linkage is intended for the guest buyer to easily link a guest purchase to an account. The system has no way of knowing that it wasn't the guest buyer who clicked on the link, but rather someone else with an Etsy account who accessed the item through the guest buyer's email.

@Saved4Later Unfortunately, you will have to work with Etsy to get the order removed from your account. There isn't anything that you or the buyer can do to correct the problem.

8 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@ChristmasIsLove that makes sense. I didn't know you could link a guest purchase to an existing account. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@ChristmasIsLove - I know I'm logged in to etsy all the time, and I knew you can link guest purchases through the emails, so this makes sense that it could happen.  But it shouldn't happen.

1 Like

Jump to solution

This is the most likely explanation, but it shouldn't be possible to link a guest purchase to the first available logged in account on a device. That's a little scary.

2 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

if that happened, then any guest buyer is at risk and that is bad. 

A scammer could have an etsy account, and any confirmation email they get their hands on, would make it their purchase and then keep the buyers information in their account? sounds bad to me. I have a hard time that happens from clicking on a link. If it does, Etsy has a security problem.

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Whew! Too complicated for me to think about this. It sounds like she paid for it but just wondering if YOU were charged?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.