Post office doesn't scan packages for several days after picking up from our mailbox.

When I mail a package on Friday or Saturday sometimes the post office doesn't scan it until the following Wednesday. Maybe they are short handed over the week-end.  Of course that makes it look like it was mailed late when it wasn't.  Has anyone else noticed this problem?  

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
5 Replies
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: Post office doesn't scan packages for several days after picking up from our mailbox.

Yep.  I don't leave packages for Saturday pickups anymore.  The postal carrier picks up the package on Saturday all right, but it doesn't get scanned until Monday or Tuesday or even Wednesday if it is a 3 day weekend.  All the while, they have gone through the post office, been loaded on the truck, and sent to the sorting center where they will get scanned.  Now, if I want to mail on Saturday, I take them to the post office to have them scanned.  

5 Likes

Re: Post office doesn't scan packages for several days after picking up from our mailbox.

I am very lucky! I got to know my regular carrier and she always scans my packages when she picks them up.  I always make a point of introducing myself to the carriers that sub for my regular when she is off. I tell them how much I appreciate their efforts. I learn their names and address them by name if I chat with them. On really hot days I offer them a bottle of water. On super cold days, I offer them coffee or hot chocolate. It's not really a bribe, it is more just a small token of my appreciation. I just consider it to be little acts of kindness. And I always remember my carrier at Christmas.

Being able to trust my carrier to scan my packages is a huge relief and reduces stress I might otherwise feel about packages showing they are in transit. I have on rare occasions when it was an upgraded shipment, gone to the post office. I always ask for a scan receipt. I quickly learned that they will just toss it in a bin if you don't ask for the receipt. I never use the drop boxes! That is just asking to have packages go through without a scan. 

3 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

When scheduling package pickups, there is a field for "additional notes"... I always add "Thanks So Much" but in your case, perhaps you could add "Thank You for Scanning Upon Pickup" or something similar.  All postal vehicles are supposed to be outfitted with scanners now, so there is no reason for them not to scan.  If this dilemma continues, you can speak with your local postmaster and get it fixed.  Best of luck!

3 Likes

Yes my mail carrier does the same thing. I recently had a priority package that was never scanned at all. Just said "label printed" so it looked like I never made or shipped the order to the customer. I ended up having to give 100% refund then THREE WEEKS later (priority package remember) it shows up on his doorstep. So he got free product, I'm out money and the PO takes no blame. Can't collect on insurance because it was delivered even though 3 weeks late and when I try to file anything online the site just spins and then crashes...especially the lost mail link. It's a cluster for sure.

0 Likes

Saturday drivers are not usually the regular driver. They care less. Take them in for a scan if possible. You could tell your PO you NEED scans but good luck. Also the number of packages you are leaving may make a difference. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.