Please Etsy! CRITICAL! Don't show other photos than the chosen 1st in search results!

Please report to Etsy with screenshots!

The chosen (Best photo, the product itself in whole) isn't always displayed in search results! This is a CRUCIAL TECHNICAL ERROR! Photo number 2,3 4 etc are detail photos! -They obviously do not attract customers!!!!!!!! Us vintage sellers are loosing tons of revenue, meaning you are too Etsy!!!!!! 

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
36 Likes
92 Replies

Re: Please Etsy! CRITICAL! Don't show other photos than the chosen 1st in search results!

I don't think this is a glitch. Unfortunately, I think it's a test. Some people can see it and some cannot. My friend and I noticed it on Tuesday. Not everyone was seeing it which is why I don't think it's a glitch.

It's also not just vintage items. After doing many searches, it seems to be all categories. 

Whatever Etsy is doing, it doesn't make sense and it looks horrible. 

23 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Re: Please Etsy! CRITICAL! Don't show other photos than the chosen 1st in search results!

and this ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ is the sad part.

Etsy has gotten so nonsensical and so absolutely bad at their job that no one is ever sure anymore whether something is a glitch or a test.

26 Likes

Test or glitch, it just needs to STOP!

I thought the goal of Etsy was to increase sales... silly me.

The worst part is that this makes the sellers of the affected listings look like Bumbling Idiots to the affected buyers.

6 Likes

This is different than the problem I posted about with photos going wonky. I haven't seen this yet.

I hope it's only a test! Or it could be related to all the photo weirdness going on since they switched to square photos?

Either way, quite annoying...

3 Likes
weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

I do think this is some sort of test - because when I look at your items, EclecticHomeNordic, I think I'm seeing them as you intended - with a main overall pic first, and then detail pics in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th (etc) slots.  So not everyone is seeing the pics in weird order..... 

3 Likes

To see it (if in the test), you'd have to use Etsy search.

The problem is that the main photos chosen by sellers are not showing as search result thumbnails. But when you click on the listing, the ordering seems normal.

4 Likes
OrWaDesigns
Conversation Maker

I posted about this a few days ago. Its still happening and etsy looks like a random photo collage when shopping. My laptop searches look normal tho. Its when i shop on the mobile site.

7 Likes
EpoqueVintage
Conversation Maker

This seems like a crazy move, sellers choose their leading thumbnail because they know it shows off the item to the best advantage on a search page, I'm starting to think Etsy are losing the plot completely, there seems to be little logic to anything they do these days. 

33 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

So I guess if you have a product with multiple designs you need to make sure every photo shows all designs while also showing which specific design photo you're linking to variations.

You'd think they'd give at least a little time in between screwing with our photos before screwing with our photos again.

Next week when you hover a photo it's going to zoom all the way out so it looks bad if you have tons of space set up to make adjusting your thumbnail work with their new changes. And then the week after that they'll test zooming in when you hover till all you see is a handful of pixels where you should have a tiny version of your photo hidden in the center pixels.

And then they're going to make all the images circles because that's what popular social media sites do with profile pictures.

21 Likes

I don't even understand why they are so compulsive about changing things constantly.  We are finally edging towards fall despite triple digit heat.  I want to list and be hopeful about a busy fall and winter.  When they mess with our shops it can have repercussions that affect some of us.  It seems to me that we should not have them intruding into our actual shops.  Changing photo order should be COMPLETELY our call.

27 Likes

If they didn't do this they would have to use their time to fix the really hard difficult problems.  They usually break something and then just move on to making ridiculous changes somewhere else instead of fixing what's broken.   

13 Likes

Betreff: Please Etsy! CRITICAL! Don't show other photos than the chosen 1st in search results!

@VibeEnvyYour 2nd sentence is hilarious and so true

3 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Next, when you hover over an image, you’ll see a slide show of other seller’s products in the same category.

I hope the kids in the product development closet at Etsy don’t take this as a recommendation. It’s not.

12 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Well 3 people liked your comment, by Etsy standards that probably equates to "sellers said they want this".

13 Likes

So, my thumbnail may be the interior unzipped pocket of a purse.  By itself it is a picture of nothing.  No one will click on that.  Thanks Etsy.

20 Likes
EpoqueVintage
Conversation Maker

@EccentricHandbags 

LOL, not to mention a close up shot of an area of damage or repair on a vintage or antique piece! 

9 Likes

It's plain dumb to even think this is a ok idea! That app developer made thousands of sellers loose revenue!! And etsy as well. And it is the worst user experience I've ever seen online!

My God..  I have found both back of a painting, a cord and a close up in the results. 

And to you checking my shop, it's the search results! Not in the actual shops.

4 Likes

I use my hand for scale in some mini crochet pics.   

The hover zoom that magnifies those wrinkles and tiny scratches is celebrating a little more authenticity than I intended. 

Edited to say - sorry - nested under wrong post it looks like... 

4 Likes

I'm having the same issue!  When I did a search for my product to make sure they weren't randomly raising my prices beyond what they are actually listied for, (a whole OTHER problem) I found they changed my thumbnails to me holding a coaster from the side view, meant to show the thickness.  No one who sees that is going to know what the heck it is!  I can't believe Etsy is actually paying people to come up with these hair-brained experiments that only hurt us!

2 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

Most of the time I get multiple images from multiple sellers in the one preview box. It looks a complete mess most of the time. It is only when you click on the listing can you actually see what is being sold half the time. No wonder sales are plummeting across Etsy 

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

I guess too many buyers were managing to find what they wanted to buy, in spite of Etsy 'fixing' the search to prevent that.

So now, even if what they are seeking somehow comes up in search, they can't really see it.  So they can't buy it. 

Mission accomplished!

3 Likes

Can you, seller who read this, all please contact etsy with screenshots! You are loosing sales! It's outrageous!!!

1 Like

Please take it seriously and contact etsy.

I got this reply.

I totally get your point here, and I'll take this as a feedback and I do want to assure you that all of this feedback is being reviewed by our Product teams, which is then funneled up to our Executive team--and what we're hearing from sellers will be used to inform our decision-making moving forward.

It's no laughing matter. It's your business.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Well that sounds like a bot to me.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.