Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

I noticed this morning that the pictures on peoples shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the images. Using the new listing experience you can't zoom out your pictures only delete and relist the picture.  (On the old version you can alter the picture without having to delete and re-upload picture.)

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
23 Likes
109 Replies

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

I just noticed too.
I'm happy they are finally square! It's a good improvement.
The preview image needing to be re-uploaded to properly display is okay for me. I guess it's a technical thing due to cache thumbnails etc. But something like this should have been communicated with the sellers.

21 Likes
CulturalCan
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Pictures on shop page are now square and are cutting off parts of the image.

"Should have been communicated to the sellers".

Yes.Should have.

14 Likes
CustomCraftUA
Inspiration Seeker

The square photos are most awful format. Now you have less space  to show your product. Also you need to remake all your photos, on which time, effort and $ was spend. This is the worst decision they've made.

18 Likes

Yes most of my images look awful and I agree they should inform sellers of changes that affect the look of their shops! 

I wondered if it worth spending the morning changing my thumbnails or just waiting it out in case it is a test!

34 Likes

Just found you can adjust the thumbnail in the new listing experience, but as the thumbnail is still 4:3 it is inconvenient to get it to fit in the square shape needed.

1 Like
HappyHabitsCo
Inspiration Seeker

Right. In the listing editor it’s still the old dimensions. This is so frustratingI’m glad I’m not the only one affected. I dont see any announcements about it from Etsy.

2 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

What a mess!

The big bands of colour under the thumbnails to make the 5:4 thumbnail edit fit the square placeholder are really bad.

And the thumbnail editing tool is still 5:4.

Why can't they take a square crop from the full listing image, or stick to a white band, instead of adding that childish colour band under the existing 5:4 thumbnail edit?

Hopefully just a test, so I don't have to spend a couple of days changing all the 1st listing images to already cropped in square versions.

Wait and seethe.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

31 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

That was posted about the test pages in June.

We're currently in August and it has now gone live.

Here is the announcement:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-updates-to-size-and-ratio-for-listing-image...

Lawrence

0 Likes

Why can't they leave well enough alone?

69 Likes
GlitteramaCrafts
Conversation Maker

They look absolutely awful!  There is no way I'm going through 900 listings and changing all the photos.  

64 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

I am pretty sure it is only a test.

I get the square thumbnails on the shop front page, but not on the search results pages. The search results thumbnails are still 5:4.

I am still seeing 5:4 normal thumbnails on the shop front page and search results when I use a private browser window without logging in. Tests are usually only shown to limited groups of users.

Lawrence

6 Likes

I cleared my cache and all photos look okay now in my shop HOWEVER - When you view your shop in the ETSY BUYERS APP the photos are still improperly cropped, enlarged, cut off.  I was told by support that this is all part of Etsy's 'new upgrades'  - so he eluded to it being permanant but he also told me I do not need to change my 800+ listing photos. Sorry, Etsy I cannot have my first photos cut off - uggh. 

7 Likes
FreshPie
Conversation Maker

I don’t think it's a test. They did do a test with this a month ago or so. I was still able to see my shop looked normal when logged out. Also did not effect my page on my iPad. Now I see it no matter what. It is only in our shops and not showing in the search. Just more annoying changes that create more work for us. It also means less time to list, so less money for Etsy. So dumb.

0 Likes
FoundAndFlogged
Conversation Maker

@FancyTogs Sadly it's not a test, Lawrence.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-updates-to-size-and-ratio-for-listing-image...

We've now got nearly 600 ads with rubbish photos, and a daunting amount of work to re-photograph all of our stock.

I don't understand why a blank strip couldn't have been added top and bottom to make them square, rather than butchering a chunk off of both sides of the image.

3 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@FoundAndFlogged 

When I posted on the 2nd of June it was a test, and was intermittent.

The announcement was not until the 24th July.

On the desktop website: Search page thumbnails are still 5:4. Only the shop page thumbnails have changed to square, so far.

The mobile website and the 2 buyer apps use a variety of image formats. Image cropping may also depend on the device used.

Lawrence

0 Likes
ocravintage
Inspiration Seeker

I just saw it... I hope it is a test

9 Likes

I really hope this a test, my shop looks awful as none of my listings are cropped nicely into the square image. I wish they would notify or ask the community if this is something people would want. 

23 Likes

2 Likes

grrrrrr just noticed this too... cut half the text from my thumbnails... do I have to rework all 200 listings?! grrrrr

12 Likes

Yes not sure that this is... used the new listing format which is not really much easier or speedier to use tbh,  but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  My main concern however is throughout the listing thumbnails in my shop, some images with a band of colour at the bottom of the thumbnail? I hope this is a glitch or test and they'll rectify this, as I'd hate to go through all my images and manually crop this out? Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks all x

1 Like

Argh!

4 Likes

Weirdly in Safari, my usual browser they display in the 'old' proportions with random coloured bands (other shops across Etsy appear to be in the same position) however in Google Chrome, they display square, cutting the sides off and effectively zooming in on part of the image, they look awful. Slightly frustrating, especially given the time and effort it takes to get your primary listing image looking as good as possible, a big meat platter for example looks awful with the sides cropped off..... Etsy help us out please

1 Like

I'm pretty sure it's a test - and like most Etsy tests, it's user-based.  I'm not in the test, apparently, because I'm not seeing it in any of your shops, and not in my own.  Those who are in the test will probably see the square pics in my shop.

They've tested this before - it can come and go, and not all users will see it, so don't jump into changing your pictures just yet!

5 Likes

Thanks PillowDetails.... I won't but am a little miffed if it stays as a squared up image as I'm sure lot of other Etsy users will be... it's a lot of extra 'admin' to get things looks perfect again isn't it. Fingers crossed for an update off Etsy. Thanks all x

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.