MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

Pictures Are Blurry--I Bet Yours Are Too and You Don't Realize It Yet

Etsy did something to my pictures. And maybe yours too. They are slightly blurry on my shop page. Happened right around the time they changed the size of the pictures. I had noticed that all of a sudden my pictures were cut off on the left and right sides. That was bad enough. I think that's when the blurriness started. I'm on a laptop. I didn't catch it at first. I thought it was my eyes. I noticed the cute writing on a cross-stitch was hard to read. Once you open the listings, they are clear. But the first picture everyone sees, that is supposed to be the very best to lure a customer into clicking, is blurry. It's not just my shop. I see it in other shops too. I am using Microsoft Edge on my laptop. Btw, I had to change to Edge about a week ago because for some reason I couldn't scroll on Etsy with Chrome and it kept freezing and saying, "Aw, Snap!" No problems with any other website with Chrome; just Etsy. So we swtiched to Edge. I thought it might be an Edge problem but we checked it on my husband's laptop using Chrome and the same thing, blurry pictures. We also signed out to see how it looks to customers--maybe it's just us?--but nope, they are also seeing blurry pictures. I AM NOT HAPPY! I work very hard to make my pictures crisp and clear and beautiful! They look terrible! I only found one other complaint about this in this forum and no answers. Take a good look at your pictures on your shop page. Anyone else experiencing this?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Pictures Are Blurry--I Bet Yours Are Too and You Don't Realize It Yet

Your photos are clear, for me.

I can read your cross stitch listing.  I'm using laptop and Chrome.

1 Like

@MadGirlRetro wrote:
They are slightly blurry on my shop page. Happened right around the time they changed the size of the pictures.... It's not just my shop. I see it in other shops too.

Sounds like you might still be in the test for photo ratio.  Most users see your photos (and all photos) as usual.  I see them as usual. 

2 Likes
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

@FallenAngelBrass, thanks for telling me that. A photo ratio test, huh? Well, that gives me hope that it's temporary. 

1 Like

They look fine to me.

1 Like

Your pics also look blurry to me…

1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@MadGirlRetro  I'm on Chrome and I see your photos are slightly blurry. Did you reach out to chat support?

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

I did. He asked me to send him a screenshot and I did. Now I am waiting to hear back. 

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@MadGirlRetro  Your photos don't look blurry to me (Chrome, desktop computer, large screen).  I am in the test though; your pics are square (or maybe slightly higher than wide).  Nothing is cut off though; looks good.

1 Like
MadGirlRetro
Conversation Maker

I'm glad to hear that some of you are seeing clear pictures and I appreciate you guys looking. Others are seeing what I am seeing--they are blurry and cut off. I just listed a few things and then went to my page to see how it looks and usually I'm like, oh that's beautiful, this is going to fly off the shelf. It looks terrible! Sloppy! I'm sick over it. 

0 Likes

Etsy probably has some kind of automatic software that compresses your images so they load faster. This is really important, especially on thumbnail pages. I load my images at full resolution and don't compress them at all unless I have to to meet max file sizes. If the big image is 2,000 pixels on the longest size, I think that is adequate, so I don't load images larger than that. That way Etsy doesn't have to compress them as much to make the thumbnail. Etsy is doing some tests with square images, but it is not the standard, until they tell us something different. I would not adjust for that until the test is over and they announce the change is permanent, if they decide to change it.

1 Like

I found this bc I am trying to find out why every photo on Etsy even when clicked on to enlarge is blurry. I am a seller but this is for me as a shopper with the app or just online. 

0 Likes

one day my pics are blurred for a few days, clear for a few days, back to blurry. It seems to come and go. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.