Photos uploaded from app are rotated

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Etsy app for iPhone users.    When I select photos from the app to attach to a message they are upright (which is how they were taken).   

While still editing that same message the images show perfectly fine (upright) in the message.   They even show fine when you click to send the message and its still on the message screen.  

But once the message is sent to the customer and you go back to view the message, the photos are all rotated sideways!    The problem shows when you exit the message and go back to view it.   The customer receives sideways/upside down images.    In the desktop app it also shows those images rotated.

Most sellers using the app might not even notice this unless they go back to the message after and view it.   Etsy support has not been very responsive to the issue, almost like I'm the only person with this issue.   I know it may not sound like a major issue, but its not really professional to send photos to people which are upside down/sideways like we don't know how to take a photo!  lol!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
16 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Photos uploaded from app are rotated

@TurnerLaserEngraving  Hi, I've never used the App, but have heard it is glitchy. I've always used a desktop computer, no App. When I rotate photos prior to saving them on my computer, I've not had a problem with them coming up turned sideways once uploaded. I really think the app is the problem.  Giving you a Bump.

2 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

It just happened to me using desktop. I couldn't even get the ap to load today to try it. And I did not rotate the pictures, I took them portrait, sent them portrait and they rotated counterclockwise to landscape.

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@DragonflyDreams1 Oh geeze, that's not good.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@ChillwolfArt  Agree 100%. 

1 Like

Yes, had the same thing today: took 2 pictures with the app, send, and typed the rest of the message on my laptop: both were rotated there but correct in the app.

I’m not even complaining anymore: I cannot change my listing texts and titles for over 7 weeks now, it won’t safe any changes, and no help from anyone in the Etsy-Universe. Not sure if there’s even a human being in there anymore.

(And yes, I’ve tried everything: laptop, computer, app, different browsers, old form, new form. Nothing works.)

2 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Photos on desktop are also rotated. I just sent two to a customer a few minutes ago and indeed they flipped sideways.

2 Likes

I was having the same issue. I use to take portrait photos and they would flip sideways in messages, so I tried taking landscape photo and that seem to do the trick. They don't flip anymore! 

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@KlaassyArtsFinest  That's clever; I didn't even consider it.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea, but then they are sideways for everything else that I use the photos for.

Support still has not answered back (I have an email/support session).   I'm glad its not an emergency as the support is rather lacking. 

1 Like

I'm on my 3rd support ticket with Etsy over the course of about 30 days now.   They answer back one time, then disappear from the conversation and I end up contacting support again a week later because they don't reply back again at all.   Really frustrating that Etsy keeps ghosting the support tickets.

1 Like

Etsy support has blown me off (again) by closing the ticket without replying.   Is this normal for Etsy to not help people out?

0 Likes

I have been having the same problem. I feel like an idiot having to send another message to the customer explaining that the photo has rotated because if I don't, they will think I didn't understand their request. For example, someone wants a frame that has 5 portrait openings. I draw an example to be sure we are on the same page about the design, and when I send it it comes out sideways. So for our shop this has been quite a pain!  

I thought awhile back that Etsy told us the photos for our listing should be square. (Sorry, you can tell how carefully I pay attention because I am not really sure that was what the message they sent was :>). So I went into my iPhone and changed the settings to square photos. That didn't help when I attached them to the conversation. And it doesn't matter if it comes from my phone or from my desktop.

1 Like

This is a problem for me as well.  Didn't use to be this way.  Get on it Etsy!

1 Like

No. It wasn't always like this.  I'm frustrated that it's still happening to my pics and embarrassed with my clients.  Why the heck can't Etsy fix this - especially since it hasn't always been like this?

0 Likes
3DSideShow
Inspiration Seeker

Same here!

0 Likes

Photo must be taken in the landscape mode, not portrait.  VERY awkward when shooting tall narrow items!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.