Photos taken & sent from iPhone end up sideways in messages

This has just been happening the last week or so but when I take photos to send customers of completed projects from iPhone, end up rotating sideways in the message they receive. It's not my camera & I'm not taking the photos turned sideways. It's not good for customers to see, looks unprofessional. Anyone else experiencing this glitch?

@etsyplease fix this. It doesn't happen on any other platform I sell on, only via messages on Etsy. 

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
14 Replies

Re: Photos taken & sent from iPhone end up sideways in messages

Same here! very frustrating

1 Like

I haven't been able to send photos all day from my iPhone.  Is it and Etsy App issue?

1 Like

@JojosBootique I'm sure it's an Etsy app issue, not iPhone, it doesn't happen on any other platform I sell products on. 

1 Like

That was happening to me too, I changed the size to medium and it corrected it.

2 Likes
OrWaDesigns
Conversation Maker

Did to me yesterday....android

1 Like
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Sent photos today from desktop and it's working normal. (Just for clarifying may be only related to mobile or app)

1 Like

Yes - I had to use my desktop to send photos yesterday.    Only way I could get it to work.

1 Like

I have that problem too sometimes and I have a Samsung phone... it's pretty annoying

1 Like

Are the photos in .jpeg file format? If so, I've had a similar problem for years when I try to upload a .jpeg photo whilst creating a listing to sell in my Etsy shop. They looked fine on my screen, but always showed sideways on the Etsy listing. A few years back others on the forums were having the same problem, so it was likely another Etsy glitch My solution, takes a bit of time, but seems to work. I open the .jpeg file in my favourite photo editor, do any tweaks (cropping, exposure etc), then I EXPORT (not 'save as') the file in a .gif format. Then when back in File Explorer, if I search, within the folder, for ".gif" it will only show the photos I've tweaked, so I can choose from those which ten I want to go into my listing. I've got an Android phone, it also works when I use photos from a traditional camera. HTH

1 Like

@pheasantsandflowers I think they are in .jpg form, but this just started happening about 2 weeks ago, I don't have an issue making the listings, it's only when sending customers finished products before I ship them out, via Etsy messages. I've not done any updating on my iPhone so I believe it's something with Etsy app. They are constantly tinkering with things, so I'm sure they created this glitch somehow. My solution is I'm trying to remember to take photos sideways, then they show upright when I send them in Etsy messages!

0 Likes

I am now thinking it's an app problem. I sent photos to two customers today, and each time after sending, I took a screenshot which shows the photos upright. When the person responded back, the photos are now sideways. This is very frustrating and looks unprofessional.

(Original photos are square and orientation is correct.)

0 Likes

Same thing happened to us.

Took a screen shot to prove to the customer it's not the phone. 

0 Likes

If you rotate it sideways before you send it( not sure right or left) would it end up right side up?

0 Likes

I believe i've found a solution... for me anyway. I take my photos in square mode. Then I crop in the edges slightly to make it more of a vertical photo than square. Since doing that my photos are behaving and showing up correctly.

But this is an extra step that shouldn't need to happen. ugh

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.