ONLY baby items are coming up in search...nothing else

I'm redecorating my den/library in a woodland animal theme. I just searched "Woodland animals" on Etsy hoping to find nice home decor and EVERY SINGLE ITEM on the first 10 pages is baby/nursery items. Every single one. (I gave up after page 10.) I tried "woodland animal art" - nothing but nursey art. "Woodland animal home decor" = nursery decor. "Woodland animal NOT baby" just made everything worse...is there some search glitch? Or do I somehow have my search locked on baby stuff? Please help me get out of the woodland animal baby vortex! 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
9 Replies

Re: ONLY baby items are coming up in search...nothing else

Try "rustic woodland decor" and "forest animal decor" - I just did and no baby/few items came up. 

3 Likes

Try "wildlife" instead of "woodland"?

Don't try saying "not baby" - as this will just make the search engine think you WANT baby stuff. 

Etsy took away the ability to take a search term out by using the minus sign ages ago, which removed a LOT of functionality from search.

5 Likes

Just tried recreating the results you got, and adding "home decor" definitely did yield home decor kitchen,bathroom, etc results not just nursery results

Etsy's current ad program will mean frankly irrelevant search results are displayed pretty frequently

Try clearing your cookies & cache, and try your searches again?

This will invoke higher fees for the seller, but searching for "woodland animals keyword Etsy" on google yields good results, and then you should be getting suggested relevant results after that.

This is most likely all intentional as sellers become less relevant in search, they increase their ad budget, and when buyers take their searches to google, the ad fees get very high. Just a theory...

2 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

Etsy search is helpful like that.

Have you tried searching for specific animals, like foxes or owls? Maybe that will help.

1 Like

Also try cottagecore animal decor. Though I'm not sure it's the results you're looking for, I got very few baby/nursery related items with this. 

2 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Try incognito in a browser, it should help because you won't be in the endless cycle of what has already been displayed, once you find a few things that are what you want to look at and have clicked on them - log in without closing the browser.

1 Like

Wow, I see all baby stuff too, in any search with woodland + animal together in the search term.  Amazing to see all the identical prints from different sellers too.  Reordering the words to 'woodland art animal' gives slightly better results, but still not great.

If you have filters available (I say "if" because Etsy has been testing removal of them lately), try filtering by room to 'office', 'man cave', etc.  That seems to get rid of some of the baby stuff.

Etsy is so determined that buyers will want whatever they serve up in the highly manipulated search results ... depressing.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I will try them all! In the meantime, the results are better if I'm VERY specific -- "vintage brass deer figurine" or "needle felted mourning dove" and don't use the word "woodland" at all. I've never searched for baby stuff here, so I don't know where the algorithm got the idea that that's all I want.

The room will be white and gray with an antique woodland animal theme (think hand-drawn vintage encyclopedia illustrations) with library paneling, brass and wood bark accents and linen and fur textiles (faux of course). Hopefully in that circle I can come up with enough very specific search terms to find some of the amazing stuff I know is out there on Etsy that would be perfect for the room :).

Thanks all for your help.

2 Likes

I make small custom signs if you can’t find anything contact me ! 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.