thewoollydog
Conversation Maker

Now etsy are putting items into our baskets ? !

Something I'd favourited a few weeks ago suddenly appeared in my basket today with a note saying the seller was offering me a 5% discount, it was there in the basket added by etsy!

I NEVER put things into my basket to hold, if interested in something I put it in a folder, it only goes in my basket as I pay for it.

If you're someone who does put lots of things in your basket to hold and this happened to you, you could end up paying for something you had no intention of wanting.

As it is I had to search really hard to find the empty my basket button.

This is a really bad idea, stay out of my basket! 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
16 Likes
37 Replies
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Re: Now etsy are putting items into our baskets ? !

If you click on the cart (basket), you should see the item and a "Remove". That gets rid of the item. (In case someone else has this problem)

4 Likes

Hmmm!  I haven't seen this yet - that would be really annoying.

4 Likes

@thewoollydog  - I rarely, if ever, favorite something. When browsing, if I do cart something I immediately place in Save for Later since I cannot abide the constant pop-ups thrown at me while I'm still browsing,

I enter Etsy thru their main page & have had Etsy place a "notice" on the bell that's alongside the shop manager icon, my avatar photo. It's usually advising me that an item I've saved for later is 'on sale' or that the shop owner has issued a coupon code for the item I've saved.

I have never had Etsy take an item I've saved for later and place it in my shopping cart. That would annoy me to no end. 

10 Likes

I hate those pop up nags so much that I have now become adverse to putting things in my basket. If I want to buy something I put it in my faves and check out the moment I'm ready to purchase. I forget about things, and I might miss coupons, but I don't care! Anything to avoid 'this could sell out soon!' ugh go awaaaayyyyyyy

15 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

" Anything to avoid 'this could sell out soon!'"

YES!
And it is so obvious that all that is just someone BSing you.

Like the $1,200 one-of-a-kind bracelet that is 'selling fast'. How can a single item be 'selling fast'?

Etsy should be a site for artists, not con artists.

13 Likes
RueDeLouvain
Conversation Maker

It's getting really strange - I just noticed the same! I favoured a listing and it popped up in my basket, and I had to remove it.

Even more weird, since about a week I sometimes (can't really figure out when it will suddenly show up) get a pop up when I click on the Etsy Home Screen , saying "Don't miss out on this item in your basket! Only 0 left and it's in 4 baskets".  The item it is showing is a chandelier from MY OWN shop which is already sold and it certainly is not in my basket. 

14 Likes

Oh good I’m not the only one!

0 Likes

This happened to me when a seller sent me a coupon (via email) and I clicked on it.  It went right into my basket.

This looks so pushy and frankly obnoxious.  How many buyers think it's the shop doing this?

21 Likes

I'd wonder how many orders are being placed by mistake?
If a buyer accumulated a number of items in their cart as holiday gifts & checked out without double checking everything, they might be purchasing items they didn't intend to?

13 Likes
thewoollydog
Conversation Maker

@SeasideRoseCreations  As a seller I knew it was only etsy who were able to mess with our baskets, but yes... I never even thought about the problem if buyers thought it was the seller doing that, we could get complaints from really angry buyers, not good for anyone's reputation.  

7 Likes
EasyCraftsCanada
Conversation Maker

Thanks for posting this. I just turned off the Your Fave promotion as I would never want to take part in that trickery. 

3 Likes

Haven't experienced that.  Not a good move on Etsy's part,  Another bummer!!!!!!!!.  I'm getting so I don't like Etsy anymore.  And that says a lot for me.

6 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

I know what you mean. I ordered several Xmas gifts from Etsy this year and honestly it was PAINFUL to do, the search the hidden description etc.

The fact, as a seller, I knew these were already issues Etsy has created still had me wanting to pull my hair out

And now, the constant chasing for "reviews" except the items were shipped to my parents home so I dont have to travel with them and can't review what I havent seen.

I am surprised we still have buyers on this site.

3 Likes

The same thing just happened to me on the Etsy app. Although it was on my phone app, it wasn't on my PC.  So not cool. Good thing there is no automatic checkout. 

2 Likes

I don't have any coupons enabled for my shop, but I'm now a bit worried. I sold something yesterday that I was frankly shocked to have sold on Etsy. Now I'm hoping desperately it was an order the buyer actually wanted to place...

1 Like

This is disturbing. Could Etsy really be that desperate?

6 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Yes, they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody's job might be on the line.

6 Likes

@leinweberstudio @ He££, OUR jobs are on the line! Seems to me as if they’re now taking the buying decision away from the buyers…pushy much? If this is indeed what’s going on, it’s truly despicable, not to mention the trouble it will cause when buyers don’t realize Etsy has taken it upon themselves to “add to cart” on the buyers’ unauthorized behalf. Ugh! Another fine mess Etsy has gotten us into.

8 Likes

I thought they were supposed to just send an email if they were signed up for such alerts. Or is this another of their paid by Etsy discounts?

0 Likes

@AAANativeArts It was emails, but I guess that wasn’t doing enough for Etsy because earlier this year they started adding available coupon codes directly to the cart. In mine it shows a green bar above any items from a shop with an available coupon code with a box to check to apply it. This could be an abandoned cart coupon, or a thank you coupon. 

However, if they’re adding favorited items directly to the cart on purpose (and it’s not just a bizarre glitch) that’s a whole other level and could cause a grunt load of problems. Especially with Etsy’s automatic refund policy (aka seller “protection”). I would hope that most people would check their cart to be absolutely certain they’re buying only what they actually want. I know I couldn’t afford to make the mistake of simply purchasing everything in my cart if random things were added out of the blue.

0 Likes
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

Explains why I had a customer complain that something she has in her basket is reserved for someone else, I had to explain that putting things in your basket doesn’t hold them and that I have no idea what items are in her basket, or anyone else’s. This is pretty poor on Etsy’s part, particularly the idea that people think it ‘holds’ the item for you in the shop. 

5 Likes

A long time ago when Etsy first started, putting an item in your basket actually did “reserve” it.  Fortunately Etsy changed that after seller uproar (still, it took about a year or so).  No e-tailer works like that anymore, and many have messages to customers making it clear that items in your basket are NOT reserved for you.  

3 Likes

Just the next step up from etsy never fixing search because, hey, you might want those vintage tap shoes while searching for a custom dog house, showing us a bunch of stuff we don't want (but you just might!) lost in the maze of idiocy around here.

What is wrong with these people? They risk pissing off so many buyers and sellers for maybe an impulse purchase?

Obviously they don't give one fig about the problems that this could cause, how many "I ordered this on accident" claims are we going to get now? Big whoop, more work and time wasted for sellers, what's new. It's already into December and they're still messing around with tests re where descriptions show, pretty rude and bold in my opinion.

Merry Christmas!

11 Likes
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Kind of unrelated but a 5% discount is not super exciting:P

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.