Not showing up in search after selling on Etsy for 14 years

Hello,

I've been selling my handmade hats on Etsy for 14 years.  I have over 2240 sales and have consistent 5 star reviews.  

My hats have aways shown up on the first page of every category I sell in.  But now they don't show up at all.  I've been checking for over a week.

I can't really understand what's happening.

Have any other longtime sellers with many sales and 5 star reviews experienced this?

Thanks so much,

Bonnie

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
41 Replies

Re: Not showing up in search after selling on Etsy for 14 years

I see what you mean. I searched for "Linen Cloche Hat in Taupe and Black" and could not find your item even when narrowed to your location. https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Linen+Cloche+Hat+in+Taupe+and+Black&explicit=1&locationQuery=5744337&s...

Yet search in your shop works so you are not de-indexed: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HatsWithAPast?search_query=Linen+Cloche+Hat+in+Taupe+and+Black

same with the mannequin heads: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Art+Deco+Mannequin+Heads&explicit=1&locationQuery=5744337&ship_to=ZZ

This is quite odd. I would definitely open a ticket and show them the links: https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?segment=selling#issue_sell_manage_listings-contact_selec...

12 Likes
digitaldoodlebug
Conversation Maker

Now that's interesting. The hat one I do see OP in chrome, along with some other sellers, total of 77 items. Switched to firefox and get 1 item from OP only, same in edge. 

Get 5 for mannequin heads in chrome, 2 in others. Sending help a screenshot might be better than links. 

Edit: paused VPN and got the 77 in firefox/edge. 

3 Likes

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate your help.  Thanks for the link as well.  I didn't know about opening a ticket.

1 Like

@cindylouwho2, I see @HatsWithAPast 's listings, when I click through from your links above.  The same links in an incognito chrome session give me really strange results, unless I change the last part of the url to ship_to=US, rather than ship_to=ZZ.  But once changed to US, her listings show up for me there too.  Perhaps a test is blocking some listings/sellers?

4 Likes

@BlackSheepDyeworks I've never run into this issue before, but it is possible they are doing something with the "everywhere" search (which was the result of my x'ing out "Ships to Canada" when I already had my settings on US). Obviously it is not affecting everyone if it didn't affect you. 

I was getting zero results when sorting by another filter as well. 

3 Likes
digitaldoodlebug
Conversation Maker

Either a bad bug or another version of spread the wealth. Only show certain shops to certain people. 

5 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@HatsWithAPast  I couldn't find your shop in search. I searched for your popular hat "Cloche with Turned Up Brim - Women's Cloche Hat - Made to Order". Didn't see that listing either.

The only thing that comes to mind is your orders do not ship for 4 weeks. The first few shops I checked in search ship within a few days. Perhaps the algorithm favors fast shipping but you may want to let chat support know. Maybe your shop has to be refreshed or something. I don't really know. Good luck.

3 Likes

@SugarTaffySoap testing quick shipping times is a definitely possibility, since Etsy is so fond of them. 

2 Likes

Hi there!  Thank you for your reply.

I have had a 4 week wait time for years.  I recently made it 4 to 6 weeks as I have cancer and am exhausted.  I spend half my time getting tests, labs, biopsies, MRIs, etc.

3 Likes

@HatsWithAPast I am sorry to hear about your health issues, and hope you find some relief soon. 

2 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@SugarTaffySoap 

(cc. @cindylouwho2 , @HatsWithAPast )

My tests indicate that it is the hyphens in your search query causes the matching listing to not be displayed in the search results.

Yes it is weird, but this is Etsy.

Try without including the hyphens in the search bar.

Lawrence

1 Like

@FancyTogs I saw that post, but I didn't do a search with a hyphen, so it does not apply. 

And today, the same links I posted yesterday now return the OP's items, possibly because so many others have clicked them. None of this worked yesterday for me and a few others.

1 Like
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@cindylouwho2 

I just checked and today there is no difference in the number of search results between using hyphenated and un-hyphenated in the search query. Both 966.

2 of HatsWithAPast's listings were in the 1st page of results when hyphenated. But 7 were on the 1st page when un-hyphenated.

I must be going mad. I am sure that yesterday there was a big difference in number of results with the phrase I tested. I can't remember what phrase I used yesterday, and it is not saved in history as a private browser was used.

Lawrence

2 Likes

@FancyTogs Etsy will usually treat an unusual query - such as one containing punctuation - as unique and different from the same search done without punctuation. At least, until enough people do that search. 

This thread is actively changing results, since people keep trying what we are talking about. 

1 Like

Hi @HatsWithAPast 

@ I put “linen cloche hat” and see two of your listings on page one. One of them at the top in “most loved.”

I don’t know if it’s a regional thing? But I’m in California, just FYI.

ETA: if I put in linen cliche hat then add handmade, I see one of your listings on page two. 

Either way, I see a ton of ads for other shops…. Maybe that is pushing yours back? Idk.

4 Likes

Also, I can find your shop if I put your shop name.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you!

0 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

@@Also from California and getting same results as@@That70sChickVintage .

I'm on Firefox.

1 Like
myclearstamps
Conversation Maker

@HatsWithAPast ,

When I search linen cloche hat, 1816 result and you are on page one.  I’m in Michigan.  
Your store is probably part of a test.  I am a long time seller, that searches Etsy and has one bought one thing with this account.  I search different categories.  So personalized search would not have too much info.  And my store is currently in a couple of test.

1 Like

Yes, I too show four of your listings on the first page when I searched linen cloche hat.  I too am in CA.

2 Likes

I was just typing in cloche hat - where I normally show up.  

Thanks for searching!

0 Likes

@ZiggyWearShop

I'm in PA and I see 2 listings on the first page when I type in linen cloche hat into the search bar ( using Firefox.)

1 Like

I tried searching for your hats with keywords the way I would use them and your items were on the first page of search in the ones I selected,

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.