No sender on gift receipt?

We received an order marked as a gift with a message for the gift receipt. However, the gift receipt itself doesn't show any reference to who placed the order. Etsy don't seem to provide a 'From' box – so the recipient won't know who gifted the gift, unless the gift message itself includes a name at the end which of course this order does not. It's not the first time we've had this happen to us either.

Let me know if I am missing something here, but it seems as though Etsy need to improve the gift receipt and message process to make it clear to a buyer that they need to provide their name somewhere.

And yes we've tried contacting the buyer, no response.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Tom @ PappasBland

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: No sender on gift receipt?

If the buyer wanted their name on it they would have entered it. 

1 Like
nemeton
Conversation Maker

In this case I'd just send it and hope the recipient will work out who it's from!

The gift receipt system is hard for both sellers and buyers to navigate successfully - I get many orders marked as 'gift' (because the buyer sees 'this order contains a gift' and maybe expects gift wrapping?) that are being sent to the buyer and not to the eventual recipient. I have resorted to checking the buyer email and un-marking as gifts if the name is the same as on the shipping address. But some still go through where it's not clear... and I can't afford to waste time sending messages back and forth. At this time of year I just package everything in a bit of giftwrap anyway (I don't offer actual gift wrapping in my shop) and hope!

0 Likes

I just don't understand why Etsy's gift receipt doesn't show the name of the sender, it's bizarre.

1 Like

Isn't the name of the sender the buyer!

Everytime I have had a 
"real" gift order, there are two names given.

The buyer that paid for it and the recipients name and address for mailing label purposes.

Sometimes a buyer will mark a purchase as a "gift" because they intend to give it as a gift.  If they don't add the recipient's name and address for mailing, it isn't really a "gift" purchase for us to deal with.

2 Likes

@mommawhazelsquilts You would think so, but gift receipts don't show the buyer.

In this case, the buyer ordered as a Guest using the recipient's name, then didn't write their name in the gift message. I'm not really questioning what the buyer has done here, more so why gift receipts don't show who ordered the item.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@PappasBland  Maybe it's a Secret Santa gift!

0 Likes

Maybe

0 Likes
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

Betreff: No sender on gift receipt?

I know this is an option but I wouldn’t ‚unmark’ a gift receipt unless specifically asked by the buyer to include the price of the item in the package. 
I‘m not questioning the motives of my buyers. They may not want their partner to know how much it cost or they just like giving gifts to themselves or they mark every purchase they make as a gift, who knows. If that’s what they want why not? 

2 Likes

Betreff: No sender on gift receipt?

Totally agree, if someone marks an order as a gift then they're getting a gift receipt.

2 Likes

I just send whatever Gift Message they give me and send it to the address provided. I think some foreign orders mark it as a gift because they think it will keep them from paying custom fees (not true). Maybe a person just doesn't want their partner to see the cost on the receipt. Who knows why they mark it as a gift? I just follow whatever instructions they gave me and move on to the next package.

1 Like

Most buyers don't realize how basic the gift receipt is, unless they've received one themselves or are also a seller.  The buyers probably assume that their names will be included automatically so they don't see the need to add ''From, soandso.''

But as Nana said, it could be a Secret Santa gift.  It is the season for them.

Since this buyer checked out as a Guest, did you also send a message directly to their email account?

1 Like

I did, no response.

1 Like

Just ship it. Some just don't want a receipt with prices on it. Sometimes the buyer is the recipient. Sometimes I think they expect gift wrap. Sometimes they are having it sent to themselves but then gifting it. If international maybe they think that will somehow end run fees? I don't waste any time trying to figure it out. I just ship it. I almost always tissue and ribbon wrap anyways if possible so it is no different.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.