MagamisTreasures
Inspiration Seeker

No message notification & got dinged..

I only use the app for my account & was not notified that I had a message. So I accidentally saw it just doing random checks in the app & was later than the 24 hour response requirement & it knocked me down to 75% from 100% & my sales have PLUMMETED. & It’s my understanding that I will not have star seller status next month because of this 🤦🏻‍. I’m sure there is nothing I can do but try to rebuild & just suffer the slow sales until I go, but if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it. the worst part about it is that It was a customer thanking me for her item that she loved. Jeeeez 

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies

Re: No message notification & got dinged..

Do you have your Etsy account set up to send you notifications when you receive a message? If the answer is yes, do you have the settings on your phone set up to allow notifications from the Etsy app? 

There is really nothing you can do about it. I don't think it is going to really have any impact on your sales. Etsy doesn't put a big banner up saying this seller missed responding to a message within 24 hours. LOL

I don't get a lot of messages from anyone on Etsy so I rarely have the messages badge because you can't get it if you have no messages. Not having that will not impact your ability to still display the reviews and shipping badges, though. I don't think buyers even pay that much attention to the star seller badge anyway. 

0 Likes

OP, put that message in spam and your message metrics for Star Seller will change hopefully. It's a good idea to physically look at your shop on the app a few times each day and not rely on emails.

1 Like

unfortunately the app doesn't allow anyone to mark a message as spam : (

0 Likes

No, not the seller app (hope people are still leaving feedback about that), but you still can through the buyer app. 

0 Likes

@MagamisTreasures: A quick search would show lots and lots of threads in this forum about issues with app and eMail notifications. The consensus is that a seller needs to check their shop for messages and orders at least daily via a browser (even your mobile browser) until these issues are resolved.

If the unanswered new thread is not a Help Request, at least for the time being, it appears that marking an unanswered message as SPAM (even after the 24 hour deadline has passed) will cause your reply percentage to change in a day or two if the original message was within the current star seller period (but not retroactively). Note that subsequent messages from that account may go directly to the SPAM folder.

0 Likes

There are lots of posts about declining sales, or sales that have plummeted, as you say. There are always lots of those posts, I don't think I've ever seen a week go by without a number of them. It just varies whose shops are down and who's making posts about it. Personally I think any decline in your sales since missing a message is more likely just a coincidence. 

As for the notification, I sometimes miss them depending on when they come in. I don't have my phone on me at all times, and from 11pm-9am every day it's on do not disturb. If I get a notification that comes in at the same time as something else, or say I get a phone call before I've seen my notifications, then often they kind of disappear. Maybe that's what happened to you. Maybe not, maybe it was a glitch.

Either way I'd get in the habit of just checking your shop at least once a day, maybe at the same time each morning or night, and that way you will catch any messages within the 24 hours, even if you aren't notified. 

2 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

You could try sending that message to the spam box now, although since it was from a customer it should not be treated as spam.  This should (unless Etsy has closed that loophole) adjust your stats on the next daily refresh.  For the future, I would suggest you do not rely solely on the app to run your shop, it is full of glitches and inconsistencies, and lacks some of the tools available on the website.  If you must use only the app, you will need to check it more frequently to avoid a recurrence of this issue.

0 Likes

@audreytherese I don't know what brand of phone you have. But if you have an iphone, if you swipe down from the top of the screen it will pull up the notifications you received that you might have missed during sleep mode. 

0 Likes

I have an iphone13, but my swipes are weird. I accidentally get them to come up all the time, but can't figure out how to do it on purpose, including by swiping down. 

It's ok. I don't get that many notifications, and anything important I double check when I wake up anyway. 

0 Likes

@MagamisTreasures do you have the ability to access your shop through a web browser, and not the app? The etsy seller app does not have all of the functional features we need, and the new app is still full of bugs. If you can, log into your shop once a day with a web browser (the browser app on your mobile device will work just fine for this), and check messages, orders, etc.

If you ever receive an unsolicited message, it has to be marked as "spam" within 24hrs so not responding won't count against you for star seller. Unfortunately, though, that ability to mark as spam is not available in the app - only via a web browser.

0 Likes

*a web browser or the buyer app

You can mark messages as spam through the orange buyer app, just not through the new seller app.

1 Like

@audreytherese thank you, I had no idea. I have the buyer app  but I am only logged in to it with my buying account and never even noticed that

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.