TubeTorcher
Inspiration Seeker

My pricing based on both variations, but my Quantity available is only limited on one variation.

The prices for my listings vary by Finish and Candle selection.  I make the candle holders in 4 finishes and then they can be purchased in three configurations - none, red or cream candles.  Because I have plenty of candles, my Quantities are only limited by Finishes I have in stock.

In the Listing Editor, under Manage Variations I select "Prices vary for each" - "Finish and Candle" and I select "Quantities vary for each" - "Finish"

I select "Apply" and I am presented with listing that needs Quantities for every combination and not just at the Finish level.

When I return to the Manage Variations, it shows that "Quantities vary for each" now has "Finish and Candle" as the selection.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?  If so, I cannot set up my shop to reflect what is available, so I'm forced to keep quantities at the top level and the lowest number of any of the finishes, or face being oversold and being late delivering.  I've chosen to just keep the number low and push the time to process out far enough that I can make what ever is ordered (if needed).

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: My pricing based on both variations, but my Quantity available is only limited on one variation.

Yes that's the way it works.

Because you are selecting that each variation varies by price, it will force you to a list of all combinations, and qty varies cannot be placed on just 1 variation in that case.

You can have that price varies on 1 variation, and qty varies on the other (and vice versa) but not qty varies on 1 if price varies on both.

1 Like
TubeTorcher
Inspiration Seeker

Re: My pricing based on both variations, but my Quantity available is only limited on one variation.

I understand why all of the combinations are needed when either price or quantity are based on both variations.

If this is the way the system is supposed to work then it seems impossible for me to put quantities into the system that represent what I have to sell?  Or am I missing something?  My original post describes my exact problem.  Do you have a solution to how I can enter my quantities available and have them reduced accurately when it they sell? 

0 Likes

If I understand your OP correctly, you don't want to check "quantities vary" for the candle variation.
Your inventory is only limited at the finish level, so that's the one you want to check for "quantities vary."

In the listing form, each of the two variations should have checkboxes for "quantities vary" and "prices vary."  Use the old listing form if you're not seeing it set up that way.

0 Likes

@Adorabilities  But they do want price varies for both, which forces it to list each combination of options, and it therefore won't allow only 1 variation to have a qty box.

If they only wanted price varies on 1 variation and qty on the other, it would work fine.

1 Like
TubeTorcher
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried switching to the old look.  While the check box for "quantities vary" for the candle remains unchecked.  It still requires quantities for every combination of finish/candle.  

0 Likes

It's not setup for how you want to do it.

The only choice is limit the qty's across the finish so you don't over sell, or determine that you charge the same price regardless of finish, and that whether they have candles is the price difference.

0 Likes

@CappuccinoLace 

Ok, I missed the part about pricing.

@TubeTorcher 

The only way you can do this on Etsy would be to use an integrated inventory program. You can set up a base inventory and have it adjust your variation inventory numbers on Etsy. The numbers would adjust correctly whenever a sale was made in any if your shops. I use Trunk. 

1 Like

Sorry, I'm not sure if I explained that well.
You'd want an inventory program that has a bundling/kitting feature. You'd set up the base quantities in the program (number of each candle, number of each holder finish) and then set up skus depending on which of those items each one has. Then Etsy would automatically assign the correct quantity to each of those variation combinations, and would adjust them when anything sold. Sounds complicated, but it works out perfectly.

0 Likes

With the way Etsy works, you would need to add a quantity for each finish with a candle color.  If you don't have a finish/candle combo, you can "hide" it from the list and only show those combos that you have for sale.  This will work as I have a listing that I had to do it with - a shape in a set color.

0 Likes
TubeTorcher
Inspiration Seeker

I put this to Etsy tech support.  They confirmed -- WAD (works as designed).  They are adding it as a something to consider for a future update, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for using an integration with something like Trunk, is it just managing the information on each item on Etsy, or is Etsy displaying the item from a Trunk database to be offered for sale on Etsy?  If it just updates the quantity available for each combination, then a buyer can still buy more than I have to offer.  

Example:  I have 1 in Black.   So the qty for Black/None, Black/Red and Black/Cream are 1.  The buyer can put one of each in their cart.  I only have 1.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.