My photos appearing as other sellers' items in search results!

Jump to solution

There appears to be a glitch where my images are showing up in search results ... and are incorrectly attributed as other sellers items! This is not a case where the seller is stealing my images, I'm sure they have nothing to do with this. If you click on the image, it goes to a legit listing on that seller's shop. It is just the photo that is appearing by error.

It may be easier to understand what I mean in this screenshot -  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0084/3386/0671/files/bogus-etsy-imagesv2.jpg The circled images are MY thumbnails - but none of them actually go to my shop, they lead to other shops listings. (I wasn't sure if I needed to block out the shop's names ... I left enough showing so that you can see the names are different, and none of them are my shop name, which does appear correctly in the bottom row)

I am contacting Etsy customer care, but just wanted to see if this is happening for anyone else?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My photos appearing as other sellers' items in search results!

Jump to solution

UPDATE - Contacted Etsy help and they were not able to see the same thing (I'm not surprised - doesn't the algorithm show different things to different users anyway?)

So all I can do is hope this was just a 1-time glitch that I happened to catch during the 10-second window it was happening *fingers crossed*  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

Jump to solution

UPDATE - Contacted Etsy help and they were not able to see the same thing (I'm not surprised - doesn't the algorithm show different things to different users anyway?)

So all I can do is hope this was just a 1-time glitch that I happened to catch during the 10-second window it was happening *fingers crossed*  

0 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Rebecca- for starters, just to rule out one possibility, clear your cache and restart your browser.

More likely, unfortunately, is that this is an Etsy coding issue: bug, glitch, or intentional. Did you check the other images to see whether they point to the correct shops and listings?

on a side note, glad to see you’re still here.

1 Like

Jump to solution

lol at "intentional" 
I mean, I hope not. ha!

Will clear cache, update browser and OS. I didn't check on any other images, so I don't know if they were pointing to the correct items. Now when I go to the same page (it was what displayed below one of my sold-out listings), everything seems to be correct. So I really have no idea what was going on.

And, awww, thanks for the greeting! Nice to "see" you here, too!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Actually... turns out it IS happening with other sellers items. There was even one image that changed as I was looking at the page. (I thought it was a video or animated... but it wasn't)

So I suppose it could very well be a cache issue. It's super odd

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Why device / app/ browser?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

EDIT - I'm using Safari Version 16.5 not Chrome. And this is indeed happening with other listings/sellers, too. So I'll clear cache and update my mac, and try again

Chrome Version 113.0.5672.126 (it looks like there is an update, so imma do that) on Mac ... which also looks like I can update to Ventura.

Off to do some updating now!

0 Likes
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

So... the same thing is happening to me. The photos in *my* shop swap around to different listings but the title/description is accurate. When you click on the listing, the photos are correct. It's just the order of the photos gets wonky on the main pages (or within the main page of the different categories). Also, sometimes the photos appear 'scrambled', like those art images that you have to stare at and kinda cross your eyes to see the hidden image... These scrambled images appear when I view any Etsy shop, and it happens on the logo image, banner image, as well as the listing images.

I am also running Safari 16.5.1 on Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7. I've cleared my cache (several times), restarted my browser, restarted my operating system, etc. etc. etc.

This photo thing does not happen on any other website, just Etsy...

1 Like
CuriosityCabinet
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I just started using safari because chrome was crashing my computer and I'm seeing this issue. Pictures don't match the listing title and when I click the listing the image from search isn't there. Weird!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If the constant solution to various bugs on this site is to clear cache etc, then something is seriously wrong on etsy's end. 

3 Likes
GreenBirdStudios
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This has been happening to me too. It is impossible to find anyone to tell about it. How do you report a technical issue to ETSY? If it is happening to me on my computer, I have to wonder what people are seeing when it comes to buying my products. How is this affecting my sales? Where is tech support?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@GreenBirdStudios It seems to be an issue that affects Safari users. It eventually stopped glitching for me (I'm not sure if it was an update I did or what). Regardless, it is annoying and could affect sales if buyers are confused. It shows a lack of testing on the part of Etsy's developers. Totally agree with @AutumnHollowStudio's remark:
If the constant solution to various bugs on this site is to clear cache etc, then something is seriously wrong on etsy's end. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This has been happening to me on my phone app for months. I opened up a chat with Etsy a couple of times about it, but they never replied back. When I search my shop name on the old orange app, it brings up my shop and a list of other shops with a similar name, if I scroll to the bottom of the list and click on "See more shops with" it brings up shops with my featured listing photos shown in them. When I click on those shops my photos are not in the shop. When I do the search it usually only brings up one shop with my photos, but if I repeat the same search, it will show a different shop each time with my photos. It seems to be only connected to my shop name. Other shops that have one or two words in their shop name that matches words in my shop name are the shops that I have seen my photos in, and it's only my featured listings photos. I'm 100% sure it is no fault of these other shops and they are not using my photos.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.