My India shop changed to Rupees

I am on Etsy since many years. Now ETSY India has come and my shop display is in Rupees and not in US $. Etsy wants to display my shop products in India domestic market. Actually, my textile products are not for India or these are not products required in India. I do not wish to sell in India. I am being forced to in a way to access India payments and sell in India.

Its very unlucrative, and commercially a different market in India. Its highly saturated market. There is no scope to sell on Etsy in India as there millions of shops in every nook and corner in India for textiles. There are online market places in heavy losses surviving on Investor Money and really selling cheap stuff with returns, refunds, exchange.

I wish ETSY management realises this so please give my shop display back in US$. Its very confusing put up a listing in $s and see shop display in Rupees.

CAN ETSY sell in CHINA?? Can ETSY start ETSY CHINA?? Then why ETSY India..there is no much future scope..only time waste, money waste.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
14 Replies

Re: My India shop changed to Rupees

You can change your viewing currency at the bottom of the page (not in forums).

You're listing in US$ and those with their currency set to US$ will see it in US$. I see it in GBP because that's my set viewing currency.

Sounds like Etsy has changed your viewing currency to INR.

1 Like
OwlAlwaysKnit
Conversation Maker

I do not wish to sell in India. I am being forced to in a way to access India payments and sell in India.

Unless I misunderstood, you have to sell to the country you are located in, there is no way round that, sorry if I misunderstood.

0 Likes

@OwlAlwaysKnit  This is true, but paypal in India doesn't accept domestic payments.

So while on etsy they have to offer domestic shipping like we all do, Indian customers couldn't pay anyway.

Now etsy have introduced India Payments, Indian sellers can now actually receive domestic orders.

2 Likes

This is not a problem as every buyer sees your items in their own currency.  I am in the UK and your prices are in Sterling.   If someone from the US looks at your items, they will be in US dollars. 

2 Likes
OwlAlwaysKnit
Conversation Maker

@CappuccinoLace  thank for the explanation I understand now what the OP was saying.

1 Like
LeParisMetro
Conversation Maker

I am in the US and see your items in US dollars. So they look fine to the buyers.

1 Like

You will see the  seler's shop in your currency just like UK will see in GBP.

0 Likes
LeParisMetro
Conversation Maker

Yes, I know that. I was reassuring them it was correct in the US in case they may have thought that was a problem.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

You have no choice but to sell to your own country.

0 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

Each person visiting your shop will see the prices in whatever currency they have chosen.  So it doesn't really matter what currency you set the prices in.

0 Likes

Yes, you must sell within your country—but not ONLY within your country. 

0 Likes

How to Accept Payments as a Seller in India – Etsy Help   For those of us not familiar.

"India buyers must have their currency set to INR to be able to see the local payment methods and check out from your shop. If a buyer lets you know they don’t see the option to check out, let them know to check their currency. You can share our articles for changing your browsing currency and paying with UPI and Net Banking."

You have to sell to your own country as that is part of Etsy.   

It doesn't matter if your currency is set to INR because all other sellers will see your shop in either US or currency of the country they are in.

If you are trying to set it as US dollars due to amount or conversion rate,  I'm not sure what to do in that case.

Your buyers in India will see it as INR.  If it is available to you then you need to enable it.

As to others outside India, PayPal will still be the source used for payment.

0 Likes

@fabrikfashion: I am sure that Etsy's decision to create ETSY {INSERT COUNTRY NAME HERE} is a purely financial one based on sales generated from that country. As many have stated, a buyer is going to see your prices in the currency THEY selected, not the currency you listed the item in. As to selling in your own country, what is the downside of the listings showing in your own country? Based on your explanation, the worst is that no one in India will buy from your shop (therefore no change from before) and at best you may get some domestic sales you would not have had otherwise.

1 Like

Thanks so much everybody who replied me..I feel better..I just wish to see US$ on my shop display here as it is easier for me to immediately go about knowing the $ price display for each listing . I will try to set the page at US$ as told to me..I was worried as my items are all made for ladies across the seas..

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.