My European customers are paying taxes twice (when make their purchase and when receive it)

I'm from Canary Islands (Spain), but, my islands doesn't have the same taxation than peninsular Spain (in Spain IVA, in Canary Islands IGIC, that is lower). For this reason, my islands are not considered belonging to Europa for sales for the difference of fiscality (we are european, but at the same time, not european if you are an international seller).

The problem is that, due we are considered "outside" of the EU, my European customers have to pay import taxes when they receive their orders. But they have already paid those taxes in the moment they made their orders!!! For UK customers, Etsy provides me a number of taxes that I must include in the outside of the package, in order that UK customs know that taxes have been paid. But there's no other European country where Etsy provides me that number, and my customers have to pay taxes again when they receive their orders, so they are paying twice and they are claiming this to me.

Need help with this please!!!! This is harming so bad to my shop, making my customers don't back to purchase again.

Thanks in advance

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
21 Replies
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Re: My European customers are paying taxes twice (when make their purchase and when receive it)

This is what I see on my EU orders, so you can use this for yours.

You must share Etsy's IOSS number, IM3720000224, with your courier for this order (use it only for this purpose). This helps ensure that your buyer won't be charged VAT twice. Make sure to write the value of this order in euros, , on your package, too.

2 Likes

Re: My European customers are paying taxes twice (when make their purchase and when receive it)

I have sold to Europe for 5 years now getting problems with customs and sales tax. Customer charged 10 euros for sales tax in Italy she had already paid Etsy , IOSs number and amount paid  supplied. Italian customs thought the value was too low so charged another 10 euros, they said they thought it was worth more seller paid 34 they thought should be 74. She has shown them Etsy invoice etc no still charging her. I have had Belgium charging Import tax on item way below import selling price and Portugal challenging the price on Etsy invoice and demanding import tax too. 

so sick of it, seriously thinking of stopping sending to Europe except France no problem with them .Anyone else had this it’s just started in last 3 months.

1 Like
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Also read this article, because you need Etsy's tax numbers for sales to some other countries such Australia, New Zealand, Norway

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360000337247-Custom-Fees-and-Physical-VAT-Collection?segment...

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for sending this article I am including the Etsy IOSS number and none of these parcels is over 150 euros says that on the customs form so not eligible for import duty. Never have a problem except with some EU countries Belgium, Portugal and Italy. What can you do when the customs say they think the value is more than the customer was charged on invoice, crazy.

0 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Did you always include 2-3 paper copies of the invoice on the outside of the package, so that the customs officials can look at these?

You really can't do anything if the receiver's country's customs officials have decided that the value isn't correct.

I assume therr are options for the customer to  appeal it, by filling out paperwork, though it's likely they have to pay the charges first, then appeal and hope for a refund. 

Italy has a reputation for having TERRIBLE Customs, and their government beaurocracy in general is a nightmare.

My brother in law is from Italy, and his family still lives there, they've told us plenty of stories.

1 Like

The IOSS number needs to be supplied.  It's supposed to be electronic so see if your carrier will add the number electronically.  If not then write it on the package.  I've also written the words VAT already paid.

1 Like

I did this exactly for parcels to Italy in the last couple of months and both my customers were charged again by Italian customs seemingly on their own whim. Italy is now off my shipping list- I can’t run my business if customs don’t follow the rules. 

1 Like

did you have invoices on the outside, in see-through document wallet, in euros?

2 Likes

Hi, do all the IOSs stuff and the value but, as another seller said Italian customs are so what, charge them again.

0 Likes

I know in the US that the IOSS number is included in the barcode on the label if you purchase your shipping label directly from Etsy. I don't know if sellers in your country can purchase shipping labels through Etsy though. So be sure to write the IOSS number provided by @VogueVixens on the shipping label if it isn't an Etsy shipping label.

0 Likes
VogueVixens
Community Maker

Etsy only offers/sells Postal shipping labels for 4 countries

-USA -USPS

-Canada-Canada Post

-Australia-Australia Post

-United Kingdom - Royal Mail

1 Like
SwedishViolets
Inspiration Seeker

I wish Etsy would stop charging taxes for packages sent to Europe, because we are always double taxed.  Every single time. Customs is charging me taxes on the item cost, shipping cost, and Etsy VAT cost combined. I live in Sweden. They are effectively keeping me from wanting to ever buy anything from outside of the EU again. Also, Etsy should filter out the UK when a customer searches for a shop located in Europe.

2 Likes

I am in Belgium, Europe, myself and when someone from UK is ordering, Etsy gives a warning to mention the VAT number and amount, but not so for other countries outside EU.

I received a Christmas present from a friend in Canada and had to pay taxes on that.  Not only on the estimated value, but also on shipping!  So I ended up overpaying my own present.  Same happened when I had a complaint about a product with a company and they sent a replacement from the USA.  I'd have to pay more taxes than the actual value, even when that value was properly listed.

0 Likes

You are not meant to write the IOSS number on the package.  If you buy your labels from Etsy or online from your postal service then the IOSS number will be embedded in the barcode.  

0 Likes
bellecoseschmuck
Conversation Maker

@JJewellerySuppliesUK -a lot of countries cannot buy and print Etsy labels!

4 Likes
GreatJoyHut
Inspiration Seeker

Did you find your answer? Etsy is remitting those moneys to the VAT account you wrote on the package, the clients have to provide their receipt to Correos showing their paid the IVA and to which municipality. I had the same issue, the client had to pay IVA twice AND on top of that a handling fee so her extra charges were 60% of the product charge. I referred my client to ETSY, if she already pay VAT, I don't see why ETSY would remit something that was already paid.

0 Likes

Rif.: My European customers are paying taxes twice (when make their purchase and when receive it)

@SwedishViolets exactly, we should be able to filter out UK when searching a shop located in EU!

0 Likes

Rif.: My European customers are paying taxes twice (when make their purchase and when receive it)

When you are searching for a shop, there is no EU filter on etsy for searching shops.

You search for a country, or a continent

not an economic amalgamation.

so if you search for Europe you get lots of countries that are in Europe but not EU, like UK, and Norway, and Switzerland, and Ukraine, and Monaco, and Iceland etc etc.

2 Likes

I just got charged for VAT/Duty tax on an International sale (by GlobalShipping), that Etsy paid for already. So I'm confused what is going on? 

0 Likes

@CPatches 

are you sure it wasn't extra postage?

because the shipper doesn't normally collect VAT from the seller, customs collect it from the buyer, if they don't think it was paid.

0 Likes
MiaPatrino
Conversation Maker

Are you sure Etsy collects VAT for EU buyers? I just added your product to my cart and I don't see VAT charged. It also clearly shows that your shipment is from Spain, so Etsy shouldn't be collecting VAT for EU buyers, and probably doesn't. Maybe the problem is that customers expect they won't have to pay VAT when buying from Spain, they are not informed that there are different rules for the Canary Islands and this is an unpleasant surprise for them?

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.