Moving Descriptions again. Bad Idea

Noticed the descriptions have been moved to under the photos.  WHo is the genius that that made that decision.  I use ETSY everyday and I had problems locating it has now become a tab under photos instead of being readily available for the customer to view.  No wonder sales have dropped off the last few days.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
7 Likes
8 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Moving Descriptions again. Bad Idea

You must be in a test because I can see your descriptions where they have always been - just under "add to cart"

0 Likes
bohemians
Community Maker

Depends on what device you're using. 

On my desktop it's under 'add to cart' but on my iPad mini it's under the pictures and the reviews. I even know it's there, but I scroll past it almost every time I want find more info about the listing. Regardless of where they've placed it, the drop down and arrow for Learn more about this item is way too small and easy to miss. I just wonder how many buyers have no clue to look down past the reviews. Especially when there's a whole big white space where the descriptions, etc. used to be.

0 Likes

@simpletreasures55  - This is a repeat of a test that Etsy ran last year. Not all user accounts are included in the test. At this moment signed in I still see the old layout on a listing's page.
But if I go in incognito I do run into the hidden descriptions, where the buyer needs to open the description & then open a separate option for shipping & policies. 

0 Likes

I am using an Apple laptop and the few shops I looked at all appear with the same ridiculous changes.  If etsy wants to run a test they should ask for volunteer sellers to take part not just make the changes which could affect our sales

1 Like
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Not only the description but also the processing time, the "free shipping" badge, and the "contact seller" button are all hidden under collapsible fields now. Terrible programming, I have no idea what Etsy's reasoning is for this.

5 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@simpletreasures55  I was not in this test until today. I've been in it before though (when Etsy ran it a while ago). Honestly it makes no sense to me. As a Buyer, I don't want to click more to see important info which was hidden from me. It's a simple concept really; I felt that way when the test ran before, and I stand by this now.

0 Likes
SilkWoolenWear
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with you! I had trouble on my laptop finding the descriptions of my items. I had to come to the forums to learn it was relocated as I kept overlooking it!  The description info under the title was much better!

0 Likes

Changes like this really confuse me because the level of approvals it has to go through before it gets changed even for a test has to be high, right? Nobody thought that this would be a bad idea? Maybe they did, but were overruled by C-level decision makers. 

In my case, there's some materials I need to list for allergen information (chromium and nickel), which aren't available in the materials list. There should be a way to write in a material that isn't in the list, but there isn't.  I know what you're thinking - I've written in materials before when mine wasn't in the list. Well, there's two places for materials. One appears on the listing for the buyer to see, and one doesn't. The one that doesn't show to the buyer and has an area to write-in materials is (to quote support) only for your information. Why do we need 2 spots to list materials? Anyway...  when I stressed how important it is to have this information there because someone could have an allergic reaction, the support agent told me to list the materials in the description. It makes me SO uneasy since depending on how you view Etsy, the description is usually hidden where most won't read. 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.